Author Topic: 1000lbs, or equivalent, of ordnance question  (Read 2708 times)

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
Re: 1000lbs, or equivalent, of ordnance question
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2012, 04:15:07 PM »
Karnak II/JG26 flew 190D's and carried either 250 or 500 kg bombs.

Source, please.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Denniss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2012, 05:32:39 PM »
The Bf 109 K-4 did not give up bomb carrying abilities, it had even greater abilities. The K-series was able to carry a 500kg bomb, all previous series maxed out at 250kg.
The WGr. 21 carried ~41kg of explosives. Total weight for rocket and tube is given as 112 kg, couldn't find a weight for just the rocket.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 05:45:31 PM by Denniss »

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2012, 06:04:55 PM »
Also, might the P40 E and F make it in, if we ever get HVAR's for them (it WAS the E and F models that could mount HVAR's, correct?).

I have seen no evidence that HVARs were ever fitted for testing on P-40s, much less HVARs ever being deployed operationally on the type.
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline Zodiac

• Copper Member
« Reply #48 on: July 06, 2012, 07:51:06 PM »

Infintry would dig fox holes, or trenches if they knew they would be there a while (Atlantic Wall, Siegfried Line, Maginot Line, etc).

Just felt that this needed to be pointed out, foxholes and trenches are worlds apart. The Altanic Wall, Siegfried Line, and Maginot Line are pretty useless as examples here because they were neither foxholes nor trenches, all three were in actuality a series of defensive works most notably bunkers. They were not actual walls or trenches so much as hardened defensive bunkers linked together.

On another note, WWII was an extremely mobile war and nothing akin to the war of attrition fought in WWI. Trenches were exceedingly rare however were used to some degree, but not nearly in the same way as WWI trenches because they were basically foxholes that were linked together, foxholes were much more common but as I mentioned earlier a completely different animal than a trench, please note the difference in depth of a WWI trench, WWII 'trench', and a foxhole for a good example.
Member DFC
Quote from: Skuzzy
No cookie for you.
Quote from: Wiley
If they want to run to their ack or friendlies that's fine.  It's up to me to catch them and not get killed in the process if I can.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #49 on: July 10, 2012, 11:37:07 AM »

A question Lusche,so a 500lb bomb does 562 damage but does the 250 kg do the same?  Also what about the 500kg does it do 1000 also?

TIA

:salute

Per my recent tests:

PB1 rockets: 93.5
HVAR 5" rockets: 159.5
RP-3 60lb rockets: 187.5
500lb bomb: 562.5
250kg bomb: 618.7
1000lb bomb: 1000
500kg bomb: 1100
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2012, 08:53:09 PM »
So, on planes like the B-26, where you can split the load into 8 500lb bombs, or 4 1000lb bombs, taking the 500lb bombs both increases your carrying capacity, and is more efficient when hitting hangers, and clustered targets?

And correct me if I'm wrong here, but it seems like the 500lb range of bombs is the most efficient in terms of weight vs lethality.

That is to say, even if you can carry 8 250lb bombs, taking 4 500lb bombs would be a better option, because the blast radius and kill radius are sufficiently greater, that more buildings will be destroyed /clumped-vehicles killed despite a smaller number of bombs, and a lesser theoretical kill limit.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"