Author Topic: TrackIR users  (Read 1058 times)

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
Re: TrackIR users
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2012, 04:59:38 AM »
Its a IQ thing coombzy leave him be :old:
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Rich52

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2012, 07:47:25 AM »
no way, I just don't look straight at my screen when aiming and I like to fly looking backwards, which is nearly impossible with trackIR. I can't use it in daylight because of what's behind my desk, I don't want to spend another 50 euros for the trackIR clip, I don't need any SA improvement either.

TrackIR is just an overpriced bother to me.

Whats behind your desk? A window? I have one to.

I have a profile that allows you to look behind with only a slight move of head.

Frankly I hated it when I first bought it, and still hate the ball cap attached one. But the other, the headphone prongs? Now Its a real asset. Most of all in other games with infantry or GVs. Even in AH its a real asset with GVs, being able to look without fumbling with a Hat is great. But I still use both. The track gets turned off in bombers and when no combat is around, and turned on when the bullets might fly.

It Does! take a painful 2 to 4 weeks to get used to it however. I have a great profile from ROF if anyone wants it. It works great in any game. Just change your keymaps to anyones you want.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 07:54:19 AM by Rich52 »
Yes, your on "Ignore"

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2012, 08:48:06 AM »
Nuke does not like change :old:

The GFC

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2012, 08:53:53 AM »
I was a hat view user for many, many years. Then I got a TrackIr. It took me a few days to get used to it and to enjoy the advantages and the additional immersion.
Then one day my TIr broke (I drowned it in a cup of tea). And despite really working on re-learning the hatviews in the DA, I failed. Even after a week of training, it was cumbersome, completely unnatural and I still was quickly disoriented in every dogfight. I gave up and reduced my flying to bombers, until the TIr was fixed again.
Going back from pedals to twisty was a piece of cake in comparison.

Never ever without Tir. If it ever breaks, my fighting days are over  :uhoh
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2012, 09:27:50 AM »
I dropped a mobile phone down the toilet :old:

I went for a number two and it was staring up at me :old:

The GFC

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2012, 04:43:02 PM »
This is for those with SA problems like Nuke with TR.

In this mode you can also overide TR with the keyboard view switchs if you need to look out your 6 primarly during dueling.

Reduce your TrackIR profile to Pitch and Yaw only. Uncheck Roll, x, y, z and TrueView. Then in the game you will pan through all of the views stored in your HPS file becasue now you have reduced your TrackIR viewing system to a mouse pan view slaved to your eyes(hat clip). Like the helmet cam aiming for the movable gun in attack helecopters. In the game's view options I personaly have none of the 3 checked. TrackIR Relative view is horrible for SA.

The Aces HighII profile provided in TrackIR5 has enough of a default forward view dead band when looking through the gunsight that your small head motions and quirks are not picked up. Still it's a good idea to map the "View Tracker Center" to a joystick or throttle button.

Some people have vertigo problems with TrackIR. Many of the players I know who experienced vertigo from the walls moving by in Doom can't use TrackIR in 6-axis mode. A few over the years by reducing their TR to 2-axis mode like I've just described could use TR in Aces High. This will give you back your 6 view that you stored for planes like the F6f, F4u1 and P47-D11.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Silent6

• Copper Member
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2012, 06:56:28 PM »
You just need to set enough deadzone in the center so your head can move a little without your view changing and as Coombz suggested set a recenter button to easily reset your view. You can then set your center off of the gunsight when you need to look up or back for extended periods as well as resetting the center because you moved in your chair.

I kinda figured that's the solution but I had s look around and couldn't find the dead zone setting on TIR 5 software ......  I imported the profile from the track ir4 software ..

Offline Traveler

• Gold Member
      • 113th Lucky Strikes
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2012, 10:35:23 AM »
Not sure why everyone has to adjust the profiles, I bought a tracker 3 way back when and I used it out of the box , except for a few background lighting issues that I resolved, the tracker IR worked as advertisied outof the box from day 1 through today.  No issues.  it adds to my enjoyment of the game.
Traveler
Executive Officer
113th LUcky Strikes
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/113th_Lucky_Strikes

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2012, 10:44:36 AM »
well behind me there is the whole living room, with glasses, bottles, lots of reflective stuff.

I'm sure that moving the head to look around can be intuitive with some training, I was using Bustr's setting, with a very sensitive profile that allowed me to look on my 6 with a ~15 degrees head rotation. I could track an enemy in a 1V1 without any issues, but three problems stopped me.

I don't look straight at my screen, especially when aiming. The view moving while firing is a pain.

I make HEAVY use of the over nose view, I have found some workarounds, but they are only workarounds.

When looking at your high 7:30 then your high 4:30, you have to look at all the positions in between via your 12 oc (your neck doesn't do 360 degree). I don't have that problem with the hat, and it severely hampers my possibilities to adjust for a shot while my enemy is still on my 6 in a reversal.

In short its a lot of work and training, for zero improvement in my flying. Getting used to a throttle and pedals was hard, but the benefit was evident.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 10:53:10 AM by Noir »
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Flench

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2012, 10:56:55 AM »
All I like to have my system complet .
Army of Muppets-"Failure is impossible"-Death before dishonor
         Lead follow or get out of the way  !!

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: June 19, 2012, 11:02:07 AM »
I was so used to my hat switch that I found it a challenge to change over. It also had the effect of making me queasy in a dogfight. I'm getting used to it now though..... finally.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Acidrain

• Copper Member
« Reply #26 on: June 19, 2012, 03:08:54 PM »
If you just take TrackIR out of the box and try to fly with the default settings I can fully see why you would want to throw it in the garbage. The default setting are excellent for a Flight Simulator , but terrible for AH. you need to turn off the side to side and forward/backward axis and custom set the ramp rates for most other axis. Set a large deadband to all axis when you head is in the gunsight. give it a couple of weeks like this and you will never play with Hat Switches again  :joystick:

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 19, 2012, 03:15:14 PM »
you need to turn off the side to side and forward/backward axis

:confused:

Why should I cripple the functionality of my TrackIr? After all, being able to move my head around and look around the canopy bars in a 109 or similar planes is one of the most important advantages the TrackIr is giving me  :headscratch:
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #28 on: June 19, 2012, 03:54:31 PM »
:confused:

Why should I cripple the functionality of my TrackIr? After all, being able to move my head around and look around the canopy bars in a 109 or similar planes is one of the most important advantages the TrackIr is giving me  :headscratch:

That's how I've always felt too when I have seen that posted.

I really like the idea of having a 'best of both worlds' setup for TrackIR where you could have your TIR enabled, with full 6DOF movement, and the ability to save head positions for all view directions.  As it stands now, if you've got 6DOF enabled, the head position is the default center position if you press a hat switch direction.  You can save a new position for the 'at rest' default forward position, but looking in any other direction it starts from the original 'home' position.

If you push the back view with 6DOF currently you get an entire screen full of back wall, and then can maneuver your head from there.  What I'd like is the ability to have a position saved like it does when you don't have TIR enabled, and still the ability to shimmy my head around as needed with my head starting from that position.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11