Author Topic: "Starter" plane (s)  (Read 7015 times)

Online Oldman731

• Plutonium Member
Re: "Starter" plane (s)
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2012, 11:17:49 PM »
spitfires are an easier plane to use more forgiving but they also teach you bad habits that will be hard to break.

Good point.  You can see the trend in this thread.  Pick a Spit.  Almost any Spit will do (avoid the I and 14, though, they aren't like the other Spits).  Use it to get used to flying in AH.  But after a month or so, switch to something else.

- oldman

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2012, 07:07:27 AM »

to the OP...what you need to think about is what do you want to accomplish in game?????

to you want to become the bomber king? fighter jock of the year? do you want to be a general and attack the map and win wars?

This ^^^

I started out in a Spit XVI for fighters, F4U-1D for ground attack and B-17 for bombing.

Good point.  You can see the trend in this thread.  Pick a Spit.  Almost any Spit will do (avoid the I and 14, though, they aren't like the other Spits).  Use it to get used to flying in AH.  But after a month or so, switch to something else.

- oldman

This too ^^^

After about a month or so I switched to the 109F-4. At first I hated it, but in the end I found the experience to be very rewarding.

(You tend to get lots of good advice when people see you flying around in an -F4. I believe that secretly most cartoon pilots are infatuated with them because they are awesome.)

:salute

Disclaimer: For the sake of full disclosure I should mention that after a few years I still suck badly at this game, but I have fun with it so I'm content with my mediocre abilities.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 07:18:58 AM by Melvin »
See Rule #4

Offline Rich52

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2012, 07:41:47 AM »
then an La7 for a month to figure out how to use the flaps to overshoot a turnyer opponent

I dont see how the LA-7 should be used to practice overshoots for a noob. First off its flaps dont come out until about 155 to 160 mph. 2nd it takes forever for the thing to slow even with throttle cut ; It can glide for 1/2 a sector. Even if your the overshooter your better off keeping it fast, or grabbing Alt, for another pass, for the same reasons above.

Everyone used to always say Spit-8 and I think its still a fine choice.
Yes, your on "Ignore"

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2012, 12:02:50 PM »

spitfires are an easier plane to use more forgiving but they also teach you bad habits that will be hard to break.

I agree when you're new and in a spit there is a tendency to just flat turn everything but I think you need to learn that for yourself.

I like the spit8 because you'll get a lot of free rolling scissors lessons from 109s and F4Us. The spit is very capable in that fight, and I think a new player will be able to hang in a scissors fight long to learn something from it. A new player in a pony will be forced to egress or b n z in that situation.
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Offline texasfighter

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2012, 03:24:04 PM »
As another newb, I have a couple questions. I am very familiar with most WWII US and German aircraft. Why is a 109 F4 better than a G variant? G has more engine (hp) so I have to think the F turns better. Is that right?

Also, is there a place with all the acroynms for us newbs? Again I know the aircraft so I know what a La-7, spit 16, KI-84, etc is. MA, BFM ... ?
Thanks!

"If you wanted a glamor picture to send home you sat in a Mustang, when you wanted to come back from a mission you sat in a Thunderbolt."

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2012, 03:36:58 PM »
As another newb, I have a couple questions. I am very familiar with most WWII US and German aircraft. Why is a 109 F4 better than a G variant? G has more engine (hp) so I have to think the F turns better. Is that right?

Also, is there a place with all the acroynms for us newbs? Again I know the aircraft so I know what a La-7, spit 16, KI-84, etc is. MA, BFM ... ?
Thanks!

No acroynm dictionary that I know of other than the training link on the main page, but MA = Main Arena (the early, mid, and late war ones)... a lot of the flight related (not unique to AH) acroynms you can look up in wikipedia or on the web.  BFM, ACM are there among many others.

FYI, FPH = Fighter Pilot Hero (a pilot highly skilled that you would like to be as good as or better than, one day), in case it up comes up.  AH (Aces High), has many FPHs to learn from, I not being one good enough yet.   :D

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2012, 03:37:38 PM »
MA is main arena, and BFM is basic flight maneuvers.

I don't know of a list posted any where, but just ask here and some one will answer you.

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2012, 03:52:26 PM »
« Last Edit: June 23, 2012, 04:01:43 PM by Melvin »
See Rule #4

Offline ScottyK

• Nickel Member
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2012, 07:29:50 PM »
No acroynm dictionary that I know of other than the training link on the main page, but MA = Main Arena (the early, mid, and late war ones)... a lot of the flight related (not unique to AH) acroynms you can look up in wikipedia or on the web.  BFM, ACM are there among many others.

FYI, FPH = Fighter Pilot Hero (a pilot highly skilled that you would like to be as good as or better than, one day), in case it up comes up.  AH (Aces High), has many FPHs to learn from, I not being one good enough yet.   :D

to texasfighter:

Do not try to be like anyone else if u are new to this game, create your OWN legacy, have fun and fly what ever u please, learn at  your own pace and read as much as possible on the webpage.  If u like American Aircraft, British, German etc.......pick a couple of planes and learn what they can and cannot do and stick with them, alot of people would say pick one plane which is sound advice too.
Childhood is over the moment you know your gonna die.  Fight not to Fail, or end up like the others.   In my crate, im the commander.

IGN: Scotty57

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2012, 07:40:30 PM »
to texasfighter:

Do not try to be like anyone else if u are new to this game, create your OWN legacy, have fun and fly what ever u please, learn at  your own pace and read as much as possible on the webpage.  If u like American Aircraft, British, German etc.......pick a couple of planes and learn what they can and cannot do and stick with them, alot of people would say pick one plane which is sound advice too.

:aok

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2012, 11:43:26 PM »
I see people telling you to start in a Spit then change to something else.  If you like the Spit stick with it.  16 years and I'm still flying Spits.

That said at some point take the time to fly every plane available to you.  Not right now but once you're feeling comfortable that you can go out, get a couple of kills and land them.  There's no substitution for knowing first hand what each plane is capable of and it will go a long way later on in knowing how to defeat each one. 

Who knows, along the way you may find something you like better or you might select different planes for different roles.  Even though Spits are my primary fighters I also fly the 109K-4, the FM2 for carrier ops, the F6F-5 as an attack platform and the 190A-8 and 110G-2 as buff hunters plus many others on an occasional basis.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2012, 12:08:32 AM »
I see people telling you to start in a Spit then change to something else.  If you like the Spit stick with it.  16 years and I'm still flying Spits.

Point.

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2012, 12:23:59 AM »

By all means stay with the Spitfire, as long as you want to fly a plane that sheds it's wings at the first sign of lead.

And trust me, there will be plenty of lead flying around.

:lol
See Rule #4

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2012, 01:12:48 AM »

By all means stay with the Spitfire, as long as you want to fly a plane that sheds it's wings at the first sign of lead.

And trust me, there will be plenty of lead flying around.

:lol

Spit's main drawback is ammo load I would think. But yeah, wings pretty fragile.

Offline Vapor

• Zinc Member
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2012, 08:43:41 AM »
A good tough plane is the F4f. Solidly built and can take some hits. Dives well and turns well. Excellent stall characteristics. Learn solid basic flight with a trainer, then what to do in combat. Training Arena is your best friend.

Lt. Vapor
VF-17 Jolly Rogers
AH Tour 115 start