Author Topic: A-26 Invader aka B-26 Invader  (Read 4480 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: A-26 Invader aka B-26 Invader
« Reply #60 on: March 23, 2016, 02:16:55 PM »
A-26 360 degree cockpit panorama: http://www.360cities.net/image/xxxx-1#1.90,22.30,45.0
Better view over the engine than I had expected, but still pretty bad.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline bangsbox

• Silver Member
« Reply #61 on: March 23, 2016, 02:36:22 PM »
i never realized its not a  tandem seat cockpit with a co-pilot. Learn something everyday

Offline phatzo

• Gold Member
      • No Crying
« Reply #62 on: March 23, 2016, 06:55:41 PM »
No thank you Turkish, I'm sweet enough.

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #63 on: March 23, 2016, 07:28:26 PM »
Pilot can see over the engines in the Beau.  Look at Guppy's artwork at the top of the page.

The engines of the A-26 are too high to have any view over and made formations on low level ops extremely unsafe.

And as Ack-Ack says, it wasn't really needed.

Another complaint the 3rd Bomb Group had when evaluating the A-26 in the PTO was the flat topped canopy.  Because of the canopy design, the forward turret couldn't be locked forward to provide additional forward fire power for strafing runs.  It wasn't until I think the C model when the clam shell canopy design was introduced into the production line that the forward turret was able to be locked forward.
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #64 on: March 23, 2016, 11:48:29 PM »
forget what it says in the reports.  the only reason I came to ah was because I flew the a26 in aw a lot.  I do miss it.  dont care if you can look over the engine, or if the oil has a satin shin to it.

it all comes down to why I fly the pony, not because it is the best, or because it was the best plane in ww2.  it all comes down to it brings back memories of it.  dont really care how many german planes the a26 killed at the attack in Hawaii.  it is just a great plane that brings back lots of memories.

so cut the bs and let's have it.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #65 on: March 24, 2016, 06:51:34 AM »
It wasn't until I think the C model when the clam shell canopy design was introduced into the production line that the forward turret was able to be locked forward.

Both B and C variants got the canopy. At the Douglas Long Beach plant, the new canopy replaced the old from production batch B-30-DL on wards.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2016, 06:54:47 AM by Wmaker »
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline vHACKv

• Copper Member
      • Hack YouTube Channel!
« Reply #66 on: April 01, 2016, 05:01:44 AM »
Hmmmmm ...... replies with a nine month gestation period.

If you think that is a punt, wait until I punt this thing back in 3 years.  :x

Looking at the cockpit 360, the views seem better than the B-25H, a plane many of us love with all it's faults, and about on par with the Mosquito. (Does the Mosquito have a fault?) A-26, B-25-j, Beaufighter, the spaghetti bomber(for scenarios and EW, because I see so many of you in there) all deserve to be in the game. My crusade is for the A-26, it represents an evolution in the art, and science of aviation. More ord, more .50's, more speed...what's not to like? The more I think about it, the less sense it makes to perk the Invader. Being an "A" plane it won't have formations. If it gets a glass nose variant, so what? There will only be one. This is the perfect low ENY attack plane, the LA-7 and N1K2 are not perked, these things are not always available. The idea that low ENY equates to high K/D is totally refuted by the statistics page. Remember the great Yak-3 scourge, and to a lesser extent the Tu-2 intro? Yes at first, every Tom, Dick and Hairy will fly it in hoards, but eventually the new thing will be less shiny, tactics will evolve, and on goes the game.

Remember in 100 years no one is going to give one excrement about your petty gripes.  :old:
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 05:42:35 AM by vHACKv »
Your HQ tears are my fuel

-Starting a profile with your E-mail address while trying to make fun of someone is not a good idea. You will end up with a "V" in front of your name, and we all know only idiots have "V's" in front of their names. (you can't ever change your profile name)

Offline Arlo

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2016, 06:35:00 AM »
Remember in 100 years no one is going to give one excrement about your petty gripes.  :old:

I will and my observations are inspiring.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #68 on: April 02, 2016, 10:36:21 PM »
Looking at the cockpit 360... about on par with the Mosquito.
Erm, Mossie's views are much better.  Particularly to the rear where the A-26 is fully blocked.  Over the engine view on the Mossie is better as is the over the nose view.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline JVboob

• Nickel Member
« Reply #69 on: April 03, 2016, 06:38:30 PM »
I with i could have gotten in the jug on that  :cry :cry

Ive been asking for the B25J for years now. The C is a sitting duck and the H is useless for level bombing we need the J badly I will fly that more than any other bomber
"Sighhhhhhhhhh, office closed do to ice for a day, And I miss a thread like this.."HiTech
Armed N Hammered 2002-2003
JG44 Night Hawks/JV44 Butcher Birds 2003-2009
49th Fighter Group fightn' 49ers Feb2012-present
138th FW Tulsa, OK 2009-2015