Author Topic: I want to fly my plane with normal controls from any position and mouse turrets  (Read 836 times)

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
would be nice to be able to fly the plane with normal pilot controls (stick and rudder) from a gunners position with a certain keypress and slave the turret/ gun swivel to mouse.

rudders just not cutting it when trying to be an amorphous blob flying a plane and gunning.

would make the 2 person planes weak tail guns a bit less disasterous to use I think.

it would be a lot of fun too though hard to master it could prove useful.

Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline lyric1

• Skinner Team
  • Plutonium Member
Re: I want
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 06:43:36 AM »
I like this.  :aok
It would be kind of like the Boston in real life with the top turret gunner taking over the aircraft with the second set of flight controls that he had.

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
keep the thread name simple
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 10:06:19 PM »
I think the idea is that if you are not in the pilot position then you arent the pilot.  so if you are the gunner then you shoot and just keep the controls the way it is.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Citabria

• Platinum Member
Re: I want to fly my plane with normal controls from any position
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 05:54:13 AM »
this logic was found to be inferior in the ground vehicle control system.

you can already pilot your plane from a gunner position with rudder pedals and autopilot.

this is an old setup that predates mouse control.

there should be the availability of standard control methods from the gunner position to account for the fact that a single player is functioning as a crew of multiple people.

this is the current logic of ground vehicles and it has been shown to feel much more believable and fun.

and believe it or not you can already do somthing like i am asking with the ar234.
Fester was my in game name until September 2013

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 08:30:48 AM »
I already asked for the option to turn off autopilot for the gunner position and Hitech said no.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2012, 08:38:26 AM by FLS »

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
i wish there was a shorter thread title
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 05:07:55 PM »
fester as much as I would love to dogfight in a b17 like in aw while having the ability to shoot the guns myself while piloting from the chin or upper turret.   but that's exactly why I think it's a bad idea.  bombers werent really made to dogfight as much as I would love to have one.  I dont even think the a20 should be able either as the gunners in real life would've been either thrown out of the airplane or killed bouncing on the inside of the airplane as the pilot does crazy maneuvering like we do in ah.  but nothing we can do about that.

semp

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 07:11:57 PM »
What about all the attack a/c with gunners? Do you also think they shouldn't be able to dogfight?

Offline Dover

• Copper Member
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 08:44:16 PM »
I already asked for the option to turn off autopilot for the gunner position and Hitech said no.

um you can

i've done it on accident so many times
you can't from the bomber position but from the gunners you can

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 02:30:16 AM »
What about all the attack a/c with gunners? Do you also think they shouldn't be able to dogfight?

ok tell me which attack airplanes with gunners consistently went thru loops and high g maneuvers to avoid the fighters.  or you really expect me to believe that planes like the b25 or the betties, avengers etc went thru loops and rolls and flew upside down to avoid the enemy fighters?  they relied on their gunners and fighters for protection.  they could turn and do some maneuvers but they were not going to be doing loops and fly upside down and all the things we can do with them in aces high.

like i said, i would love to be able to gun and fly the big bombers as they would be a lot of fun dog-fighting in them.  I do it sometimes with the b26, but they were not meant for that roll.

semp

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 04:30:16 AM »
um you can

i've done it on accident so many times
you can't from the bomber position but from the gunners you can

You are incorrect. You can only change the auto-pilot mode.

ok tell me which attack airplanes with gunners consistently went thru loops and high g maneuvers to avoid the fighters.  or you really expect me to believe that planes like the b25 or the betties, avengers etc went thru loops and rolls and flew upside down to avoid the enemy fighters?  they relied on their gunners and fighters for protection.  they could turn and do some maneuvers but they were not going to be doing loops and fly upside down and all the things we can do with them in aces high.

like i said, i would love to be able to gun and fly the big bombers as they would be a lot of fun dog-fighting in them.  I do it sometimes with the b26, but they were not meant for that roll.

semp

Nobody is arguing that Betty's etc consistently flew loops in combat. Try to stay on topic. The wish is for player control of the player aircraft. Would you like to argue that the pilot lost the ability to use the joystick when the gunner was shooting?

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
-1000 stupid idea

If you want a gunner while you fly the plane ,,,get him/her onboard.
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520