Author Topic: Reporting Dropped Packets  (Read 616 times)

Offline FXDS99

• Zinc Member
Reporting Dropped Packets
« on: June 18, 2012, 08:40:49 PM »
The FAQs say to report traceroutes with dropped packets to Hi Tech technicians and let them contact the providers.  How do I post the traceroute here?  I have captured an image of the traceroute from PingPlotter, but there seems to be no facility for posting an image here.  Apparently, 2 of the servers are dropping 20% of the packets each.  Thanks in advance.

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Reporting Dropped Packets
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2012, 08:53:08 PM »
you need to host the image to a hosting site like photobucket etc.  then link the image inbetween the tags.

:salute

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 08:55:19 PM »
Heres a "how to post pictures" post http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,327528.0.html

I use photobucket for my cartoons. It's free and easy to do.

Offline FXDS99

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 09:44:44 PM »
Thank you both!

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 09:48:17 PM »
YW

It's the reason I never post pix myself! too much trouble and I'm too lazy!

:salute

Offline FXDS99

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 11:13:56 PM »
Here is the trace route to the two servers with dropped packets.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 06:18:39 AM »
You are pinging the incorrect IP address.  That is the WEB server.  Use 206.16.60.38 for a game server address.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline FXDS99

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2012, 09:42:36 PM »
Skuzzy, thanks!  That appears to have been the problem.  There were no dropped packets from the traceroute of the game IP address during the time I logged it.

However, maybe I got the instructions from an old posting to the technical forum, but they instructed me to use "www.hitechcreations.com" for the traceroute.  That should probably be updated to keep others like me from wasting the time and attention of this forum.   :x

Thanks, again!
FXDS

Offline Chilli

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 05:41:29 PM »
Hopefully I am not dogpiling here.  I just noticed drop packets for the destination address for the first time.  I have tried all 3 game servers and with different intervals or sampling and this seems to be about the average.  Note att.net and qwest are usually the worse offenders with packet loss in my traceroutes.

As could be expected, I have received a higher percentage of disconnects, but nowhere near what it used to be, no doubt that is due to the responses from the support team and advice on doing all that I can do on my end.

Mostly wanted HTC to see that Packet Loss reported at that address and reporting that most things are still on the plus side for me  :aok

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2012, 06:40:22 AM »
Once packet loss starts happening, then all following data is suspect.  However, packet loss on the last hop means the packet loss is occurring on the return trip route back to your computer.  It is a limitation of the Ping Plot/traceroute utilities.  They can only show the path to the destination and not the return path.

The return path is a different path than the path data takes to the server.  The only way for you to know where the real packet loss is, is for me to run a trace back to you.

As the first hop where the packet loss is occurring is at a gateway from your ISP to another ISP, you need to let your ISP know about the issue.  Also note, this could be a simple matter of an over loaded router.  Yesterdays news has everyone hopping in the Internet beating it up and it has definitely taken its toll on the infrastructure.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com