Author Topic: Requirements  (Read 1082 times)

Offline fbEagle

• Nickel Member
Requirements
« on: July 03, 2012, 04:14:55 PM »
I'm buying my first laptop.forgive me if this is the wrong thread to post in but my question is what would be the requirements to run AH on the highest graphics settings? I'm sure its nothing like what battlefield3 would need. I would like to finally be able to use the maxim :joystick:um graphics settings.  :joystick:
<Insert witty remark here>

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
Re: Requirements
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 04:21:24 PM »
Forget a laptop, I had a gaming laptop that I used for AH for 4 years - when I bought it I could run AH on 60fps and full graphics, in december of last year? 11FPS and absolutely no graphics.

What you will spend $2000 on, you can get a decent desktop and 22 inch monitor that you can upgrade (in the future if needed) laptops, not so much.

I went for portability and gaming laptop, spent $2900 and its sitting on my desk next to me collecting dust.
JG 52

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 05:23:50 PM »
Forget a laptop, I had a gaming laptop that I used for AH for 4 years - when I bought it I could run AH on 60fps and full graphics, in december of last year? 11FPS and absolutely no graphics.

What you will spend $2000 on, you can get a decent desktop and 22 inch monitor that you can upgrade (in the future if needed) laptops, not so much.

I went for portability and gaming laptop, spent $2900 and its sitting on my desk next to me collecting dust.

Second that. Laptops and gaming are just not a good mixture. You're better off building a cheap desktop and get an ultraportable laptop if you must have a laptop. Laptops tend to overheat very easily during gaming, not least because they usually collect dust and gunk to the cooling ducts which can't be removed without pressurized air or dismantling of the case (or sometimes both).

I know this from personal experience. My wife is stuck on using a laptop for gaming and she's eating them up like cookies (3rd one now in 5 years) + I need to do regular maintenance on them. Cleaning, replacing power supplies, getting cooling pads .. sigh. I've offered my sons old gaming box that's sitting collecting dust now but no.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 06:35:34 PM »
Second that. Laptops and gaming are just not a good mixture. You're better off building a cheap desktop and get an ultraportable laptop if you must have a laptop. Laptops tend to overheat very easily during gaming, not least because they usually collect dust and gunk to the cooling ducts which can't be removed without pressurized air or dismantling of the case (or sometimes both).

I know this from personal experience. My wife is stuck on using a laptop for gaming and she's eating them up like cookies (3rd one now in 5 years) + I need to do regular maintenance on them. Cleaning, replacing power supplies, getting cooling pads .. sigh. I've offered my sons old gaming box that's sitting collecting dust now but no.

+1
JG 52

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 06:42:11 PM »
+1

You agreed to his agreeing with you?  :uhoh  :bhead

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 08:00:06 PM »
You agreed to his agreeing with you?  :uhoh  :bhead

I agree with his comments, especially dealing with laptops that overheat easily, ever took off in a 262 to watch a laptop shut down due to overheating?
JG 52

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 09:52:01 PM »
I'm buying my first laptop.forgive me if this is the wrong thread to post in but my question is what would be the requirements to run AH on the highest graphics settings? I'm sure its nothing like what battlefield3 would need. I would like to finally be able to use the maxim :joystick:um graphics settings.  :joystick:

Cooling is an issue with gaming notebooks. Take a look at the ASUS gaming notebooks, they are on the big side but that allows them to have better cooling. You won't get the performance of a high end tower but if you need a notebook they should suffice. Don't skimp on the CPU, AH needs it.  I doubt any stock system really runs AH well with everything maxed but most high end systems will be fine with reasonable settings. BTW I'm not sure how you meant your BF3 comment but AH will need a better system.

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2012, 04:12:06 AM »
Nothibg less than an alienware or a G53. A desktop  is a much more sensible choice tho, performance and money wise.
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 07:32:56 AM »
On the other hand, if you're planning to give yourself an annual 1.5-2k$ Christmas[ ]/birthday[ ]/4th of July[ ]/other date[ ] present every year you want to play AH, it's your money and we can say nothing against that. Otherwise, +1 for getting a desktop for gaming and a cheap little laptop for smurfing, dropping, losing, getting stolen.
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline fbEagle

• Nickel Member
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 01:58:54 PM »
I just graduated and I'm bjuying a laptop for school. I'm looking for a gaming laptop so it serves a dual purpose. I think I'm boons go with ibuypowers Valkyrie brand. 16 gigs of ram and a nvida gt675 graphics card. What I meant by the battlefield 3 comment is how does AH graphics compare to there's. It seems htc has failed to put the requirements on their site for maximum graphics.
<Insert witty remark here>

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2012, 04:09:16 PM »
I just graduated and I'm bjuying a laptop for school. I'm looking for a gaming laptop so it serves a dual purpose. I think I'm boons go with ibuypowers Valkyrie brand. 16 gigs of ram and a nvida gt675 graphics card. What I meant by the battlefield 3 comment is how does AH graphics compare to there's. It seems htc has failed to put the requirements on their site for maximum graphics.

you can have the top of the line latest computer and still cant play aces high at max if you have lots of useless crap installed.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 12:26:12 AM »

Get a laptop only if you absolutely must get only one computer.

If you do, remember this:

1) A gaming laptop is going to be heavy, BIG and difficult to carry around school. You'll hate it after a week of carrying it around.
2) You will shorten the lifespan of your laptop heavily by playing games with it. Gaming laptop is a very expensive paper weight in a relatively short time.
3) A desktop you can upgrade later and even fix yourself. With laptop your options are practically none.
4) Power saving design choices in laptops generally mean they have around 20% lower performance than similarly a specced desktop.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 09:47:20 PM »
I agree with his comments, especially dealing with laptops that overheat easily, ever took off in a 262 to watch a laptop shut down due to overheating?

...Repeatedly with my toshiba :(