Author Topic: A20 Tie Fighter Mystery  (Read 19291 times)

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
Re: A20 Tie Fighter Mystery
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2012, 09:09:56 PM »
It can't fight uphill.  Go up and it loses.

19/20 AH pilots have no idea what fighting uphill is. I see spits and 109s split-Sing all the time ...
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2012, 11:43:50 PM »
You're thinking about the average MA A-20 pilot... Not the experten, who will never, ever man the rear turret. However, sometimes the experts do bring a gunner, which can complicate things. Getting on the 6 of a top A-20 stick isn't easy. If you're at similar speeds and altitudes, you may find the that you are the one with someone latched on your 6. I can see you haven't dueled against a top A-20 stick yet....

I have brought in a gunner while turn fighting before instructing them not to fire until I lock them into a turn fight, to appear as if there is no rear gunner.

You'd be surprised, I've gunned a few times in the SBD and shot down a few people that were unprepared.
JG 52

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2012, 12:14:15 AM »
Best way to learn how to beat an aircraft is to learn to fly it, and fly it well.  :aok

:salute
BigRat   
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2012, 01:26:24 AM »
I flew the A-20 tonight, defending A63 against a large Bish air and ground attack.

Arriving in A63's tower. I counted at least 7 enemy aircraft near the base, and another 4+ off shore. Two Mustangs were vulching, so I had to do something about that first. I grabbed a field ack and killed both. I then upped an A-20 with four 500  pound bombs, 25% fuel and rolled. Unimpaired, I flew to the town where I found a gaggle of GVs. I started out alone, but help eventually arrived. Over the next 30 minutes, I killed seven M3s, a C-47, four Panzers, an M4 and an M16. Meanwhile, I had to deal with harassing fighters. In doing so, I shot down an La-7, a Spit8, Spit9 and a P-51D. I got assists by finishing off a Niki, P-47N, P-51D and a low flying Lancaster as well as knocking out a Wirble's turret.

In exchange, I lost one A-20, which was the result of snapping the wings pulling excessive g. I hadn't taken a single ping up until then. The proxy went to an M3, which I killed a few minutes later. I might want to add a little more Damping to my joystick settings when flying the Havoc. I landed three times for a fresh A-20 (rearming was too slow a process when trying to save the base) when I had expended all ammo. We saved the base, and had a lot of fun.

I doubt that there is a more effective multi-role aircraft in the game..... The score as of now is 23 kills for 1 death (unrelated to enemy fire).
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2012, 01:26:44 AM »
I was flying an A-20 as a fighter at the beginning of last camp.  Although I'd never done that it's better than most would think.

About a week later I ran into cobia38 while in my Spit VXI.  He's very very good in the A-20 and after a several minute fight friendlies interjected.  I was really hoping to conclude our fight on our own because I knew who was behind the stick.   :salute cobia.  Hope to run into you again one day.

Glad I had a little experience dogfighting in an A-20 before we met because I never fully exploited my Spit's advantages keeping it low, slow and tight.  It was much more fun that way.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2012, 04:29:05 AM »

Do you mean that it just has a lot of hit points?  That is generally true of larger aircraft in AH.

thats what I mean. Take a bf110, it is made of paper and will die with a well placed 30mm shell. Take an A20 and suddenly you have a plane that can take a few of them and fly away! I know the A20 is bigger than a bf110, but does it warrant the radical change of hit points?
now posting as SirNuke

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #36 on: July 07, 2012, 05:38:48 AM »
most a20 are easy meat with an a8 shooting from high 12,
Im talking about what its limitation should be IRL compared with AH.

I just waiting to get outturned by an b29  doing advanced aerobatics , shooting with its 20mm guns at the time

In "another sim" gunners stop shooting at G load, in here what is the limitation ?

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline FLS

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
      • Trainer's Website
« Reply #37 on: July 07, 2012, 07:08:24 AM »
They don't roll well, but using rudder speeds up roll rate considerably, at the cost of E (adverse yaw).

Doesn't rudder during the roll counter adverse yaw?

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #38 on: July 07, 2012, 08:27:19 AM »
Widewing,

What, in your opinion, stops a Bf110G, P-38J or L, P-47N or Mosquito VI from being as effective as the A-20G?  It seems that the performance edge goes rather drastically to the fighters, even with bomb and rocket racks cluttering up the airframes.

Noir,

Not sure.  I'd have to test it, but I do recall the A-20 being much larger than the Bf110.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2012, 08:35:18 AM »
  F-3 mode make a world of difference just go to the DA. F-3 gives the advantage of fantastic deflection shots that could never be made other than by accident. Go look at the air kills of the IL-2 after it lost it's F-3 mode privileged.   

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2012, 08:38:25 AM »
If you're getting outfought by an A-20, you are doing it wrong.

(Trust me, I do it wrong most of the time.  :D)
See Rule #4

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2012, 08:41:54 AM »
Hmm...who wants to duel, A20 vs any fighter plane?  :noid

Though something tells me A20 > P40, P39, P51 (in a turn fight), maybe Emil (assuming I can hit anything with those cannons  :uhoh).

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline cobia38

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2012, 08:45:25 AM »
Yes Cobia38 & others who use differential throttle controls to slow the inside turn and speed up the outside turn. They do a similar trick in Lancs & other big gangley birds.  :aok saw one beat several fighters in a row down deep in a canyon one day.   :salute

I have a single throttle, and have never used split throttles. But that would be a good idea to test,I wonder if it would make any differance  :headscratch:

Harvesting taters,one  K4 at a time

Offline cobia38

• Silver Member
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2012, 08:46:25 AM »
   i,m game Titanic  just say when and where
« Last Edit: July 07, 2012, 08:48:47 AM by cobia38 »

Harvesting taters,one  K4 at a time

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: July 07, 2012, 08:48:08 AM »
Hmm...Today if you're on, 2 or 3PM EST? I'll be the MA, PM me and I'll go if I'm not in the middle of a sortie.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp