Author Topic: How HTC decides the hit points of each plane?  (Read 3842 times)

Offline hitech

• Administrator
  • Administrator
      • http://www.hitechcreations.com
Re: How HTC decides the hit points of each plane?
« Reply #45 on: July 12, 2012, 09:16:25 AM »
The tests for tail removal I referenced earlier were done in the DA with another player flying the target straight and level and using the single cannon of a P-38L one round fired at a time.  Three tests per plane.  It takes quite a bit of time, hence only those four were done.

This test is much easier doing on the ground with a friend in the training arena , and a 50cal like the jeep.

HiTech

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #46 on: July 12, 2012, 10:28:01 AM »
This test is much easier doing on the ground with a friend in the training arena , and a 50cal like the jeep.

HiTech

Except there's no damage in the TA,well it's reduced to a point that 1000 rounds equals 1.   Maybe you meant the DA?

:salute

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: July 12, 2012, 10:29:37 AM »
a user spawned arena would do the trick
now posting as SirNuke

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #48 on: July 12, 2012, 08:41:52 PM »

HiTech

You trying to see if two players will actualy put up a custom arena, shoot all the planes on the ground with a jeep for 50cal and SDK for 30cal. Then count hit sprites in flim playback to each damage region of each aircraft. Make a table for 30cal\50cal damage for each plane, then extrapolate up using the gun power chart from the trainers web page for 20mm, 30mm and 37mm?

I think I see why it was Wish Listed for the hanger drop down menus.

Shooting a drone of an in game plane you are having questions about damaging and killing for 20 minutes to see how it falls apart related to the ride you fly is more meaningfull as an object lesson to translate directly back to the MA. Not seeing hit sprites or sprites everywhere but forward of the wing trailing edge as a reward for your shooting efforts is more often a timing issue and intial sight picture miscalculation. Learning how to get a larger percentage of your rounds on a moving target is a bit more relavant than having glanced at a damage table before you go on a sortie. Access to a damage table cannot make up for gunnery problems systemic to the pilot's flying and gunnery abilities. 

I don't se alot of IL2 pilots attacking the top of engine compartments from a steep angle to take advatage of the 6mm-40mm of steel covering those compartments. I'm never sure if anyone remembers\knows the armor thickness 3 views are available in the hanger with each vehical. Granted any chance of penetration of the thicker plate with the NS-37 has to start from 400 yards and closer becasue the plate thickness is enhanced by shooting at angles less than 90 degrees into it. Thats also turned alot of tank Commanders into single shot wonder killers of planes attacking them because of how close you need to be with guns.

Right click menu charts with nifty pictures and lots of data make good bells and whistles to help new players feel like they are getting value for their investment in the game. Gives older players an offcial data source for their ongong whizzing matches over perceived technical errata in the game. Kinda like the DnD days when everyone was sure they knew all the damage hit tables for Bugbears or FootSnorchers that could be rolled with their 12 or 24 sided dice. In this case a mouse right click.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #49 on: July 12, 2012, 09:08:05 PM »
damn karnak that takes a lot of patience already  :O

what about testing with a basic vulch?
Because a basic vulch is far, far too imprecise to give any useful data.

HiTech
True.  There was no jeep at time we were doing that test though.  I don't know why we weren't using a Panzer IV H's pintle gun though.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Acidrain

• Copper Member
« Reply #50 on: July 13, 2012, 12:43:36 PM »
You trying to see if two players will actualy put up a custom arena, shoot all the planes on the ground with a jeep for 50cal and SDK for 30cal. Then count hit sprites in flim playback to each damage region of each aircraft. Make a table for 30cal\50cal damage for each plane, then extrapolate up using the gun power chart from the trainers web page for 20mm, 30mm and 37mm?

I think I see why it was Wish Listed for the hanger drop down menus.

Shooting a drone of an in game plane you are having questions about damaging and killing for 20 minutes to see how it falls apart related to the ride you fly is more meaningfull as an object lesson to translate directly back to the MA. Not seeing hit sprites or sprites everywhere but forward of the wing trailing edge as a reward for your shooting efforts is more often a timing issue and intial sight picture miscalculation. Learning how to get a larger percentage of your rounds on a moving target is a bit more relavant than having glanced at a damage table before you go on a sortie. Access to a damage table cannot make up for gunnery problems systemic to the pilot's flying and gunnery abilities. 

I don't se alot of IL2 pilots attacking the top of engine compartments from a steep angle to take advatage of the 6mm-40mm of steel covering those compartments. I'm never sure if anyone remembers\knows the armor thickness 3 views are available in the hanger with each vehical. Granted any chance of penetration of the thicker plate with the NS-37 has to start from 400 yards and closer becasue the plate thickness is enhanced by shooting at angles less than 90 degrees into it. Thats also turned alot of tank Commanders into single shot wonder killers of planes attacking them because of how close you need to be with guns.

Right click menu charts with nifty pictures and lots of data make good bells and whistles to help new players feel like they are getting value for their investment in the game. Gives older players an offcial data source for their ongong whizzing matches over perceived technical errata in the game. Kinda like the DnD days when everyone was sure they knew all the damage hit tables for Bugbears or FootSnorchers that could be rolled with their 12 or 24 sided dice. In this case a mouse right click.
Were Footsnorchers in Monster Manual 1 or 2? I dont recall them , but it has been quite a long time.

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: July 16, 2012, 02:47:12 PM »
Were Footsnorchers in Monster Manual 1 or 2? I dont recall them , but it has been quite a long time.

It was in a dungeon run by a nice DnD Domitrix I knew way back when in the late 70's. Bugbears and Dragons bored her. So she wrote her own fantasy dungeon where it got explicityly adult the closer you got to the Treasure. You were punished early on for failing a challenge and magicly morphed into a lowly "Footsnorcher" being walked on for a few turns of the dice. Turned out rescuing damsels in distress was shooting your gift horse in the mouth if you goofed and went to her rescue like normal dungeons of the day. That was her first simple trap in the dungeon.

Yeah I goofed in the first room and rescued the damsel "not in distress". Should have known something was not right when the Oger with the whip told me this is not what you think it is while the damsel kept telling me to go away. Thats why I remembered what a "Footsnorcher" was. Damsels are never what they seem to be at first glance. And some games are better left to strange experts.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: July 16, 2012, 03:17:51 PM »

Except there's no damage in the TA,well it's reduced to a point that 1000 rounds equals 1.   Maybe you meant the DA?

:salute

Custom arena and the KOTH map.

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #53 on: August 07, 2012, 12:28:43 PM »
BUMP, it seems like the 410 is a paper plane

Specifications (Me 410 A-1)

General characteristics

Crew: 2 (pilot and gunner)
    Length: 12.56 m (41.2 ft)
    Wingspan: 16.34 m (53.6 ft 7 in)
    Height: 3.7 m (12,14 ft)
    Wing area: 36.20 m² (390 ft²)
    Empty weight: 6,627 kg (14,597 lb)
    Max. takeoff weight: 11,244 kg (24,766 lb)
    Powerplant: 2 × Daimler-Benz DB 603A liquid-cooled V12 engine, 1,750 PS (1,726 hp, 1,287 kW) each

Specifications (DB-7B, Boston Mk III)

General characteristics

Crew: 2-3
    Length: 47 ft 11 in (14.63 m)
    Wingspan: 61 ft 4 in (18.69 m)
    Height: 17 ft 7 in (5.36 m)
    Wing area: 465 ft² (43.2 m²)
    Empty weight: 15,051 lb (6,827 kg)
    Loaded weight: 27,200 lb (12,338 kg)
    Max. takeoff weight: 20,320 lb (9,215 kg)
    Powerplant: 2 × Wright R-2600-A5B "Twin Cyclone" radial engines, 1,700 hp (1,268 kW) each

I don't see anything justifying the abysmal difference in toughness between the two, can someone enlighten me?

now posting as SirNuke

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 07, 2012, 12:48:00 PM »
BUMP, it seems like the 410 is a paper plane

Not mine. I've been flying the Me 410 quite a lot, and especially since the last tweaks I found my 410 being able to withstand quite some abuse.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: August 07, 2012, 12:56:00 PM »

Not mine. I've been flying the Me 410 quite a lot, and especially since the last tweaks I found my 410 being able to withstand quite some abuse.

can it survive a 30mm hit in the wing like the A20?
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #56 on: August 07, 2012, 12:58:51 PM »

I killed a 410 with my A-20...It absorbed quite a bit of .50 caliber hits to finally go down. I shot off the outer right wing, an elevator, a flap and had both engines smoking. Still it flew on. My next burst finally blew it up.

Also, the other evening I was shooting up a formation of B-17s in an A-20. One or two pings took the left wing off of the A-20 at the fuselage as I climbed up through the tracer stream 1.2k behind. There appears to be a certain randomness to damage.
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: August 08, 2012, 03:43:37 AM »
110's still go down with bad breath or 7.7mm's directing towards it.
Them Yak's are close to indestructible. No other single engine fighter suck up that much of damage, from what I've seen.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: August 08, 2012, 04:08:23 AM »

Also, the other evening I was shooting up a formation of B-17s in an A-20. One or two pings took the left wing off of the A-20 at the fuselage as I climbed up through the tracer stream 1.2k behind. There appears to be a certain randomness to damage.

the number of 50cal hits you hear are not indicative of anything,
now posting as SirNuke

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #59 on: August 08, 2012, 04:13:22 AM »
110's still go down with bad breath or 7.7mm's directing towards it.
Them Yak's are close to indestructible. No other single engine fighter suck up that much of damage, from what I've seen.

even if it's a bit exaggerated, there is some truth in this. There is no logic behind these hardiness values that I see, and I'd like to see them changed
now posting as SirNuke