Author Topic: P-51 options  (Read 12177 times)

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
Re: P-51 options
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2012, 10:00:29 AM »
Not taking sides.  You claimed to have info on RAF Mustangs lugging 1K bombs and rockets together.  The historian in me would like to see that as I've never come across it before.  As I mentioned only recently did I see proof of a Malcom hood on an MTO Mustang.  As it was a field mod in the ETO, the general consensus was that it never made the MTO.  The recent mammoth effort on RAAF and RNZAF Mustangs turned up evidence of two RAF Mustangs with the Malcom hood there.  You made it sound like you had proof of routine RAF use of 1K bombs and rockets together.  I was curious.  As yet you've offered no proof beyond an NAA advertisement.

I was assuming when you made the claim you had info to support it.

I inquired with the Royal Air Force Museum in London, and here was the response:

Dear Mr Foster,

Though RAF Mustangs carried loads of up to 2 x 1,000 lb bombs or 8 x 60 lb rockets I have never seen anything to suggest that they carried both bombs and rockets at the same time.

Sincerely,

Gordon Leith
Curator
Department of Research & Information Services
gordon.leith@rafmuseum.org

In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2012, 12:35:17 PM »
Fin, I'm trying to look at it as to what's reasonable to make the case for to HTC.  300 gallon ferry tanks for 38s would not fit the bill for me.  They weren't combat used.  They used a 170 gallon tank to ferry Spits from England to Malta.  Probably a bit much for AH I'd think.

There are many more Spits to fill out the Spitfire line up as well, and being an absolute Spitfire XII fanatic/historian, for my own personal fun, I'd like the XII.   Is it a priority?  Nope as there are too many other birds from other countries or that aren't represented at all that would be way higher up my list.  I understood this to be your wish as well?

In a perfect AH world we'd have every option ever made.  The irony is about 95 percent of them would never be used outside of the few guys who took the time to find out they existed.

In the end this thread by chalenge isn't about what he thinks would benefit the game, so much as what he wants that benefits the way he flies his 51.  Up high, with all the bang he can carry and as much fuel as he's allowed.  He wants more bang and more fuel for himself so he can stay up as long as possible and do more damage.

I'd be more supportive if I saw it as a wish that had some benefit to the game overall.

Again I'm speaking of Merlin 51s.  Your shortened list would fit the most logical update to that line.  My using more was also a way to get more skins into the game since the 51 covers a lot of theaters, air forces and markings.

In the end the easiest request is the DT options as that doesn't involve any modeling to the plane itself.  And there I think the 110 and 108 would be a reasonable request.  The 165 would be nice for the 38s and late PTO Jugs.  The Mustangs only carried them when they took rockets to Iwo as the drag from the rockets increased the fuel demand.  I don't know how often that's really an issue in the MA :)

Tiff,
The Mustang D had fairy tanks as well    
but I wont be asking for those.

The 165 gallon tanks were used on at least 3 different aircraft in WWII. 3!   Most used on the P-38, there is no question they were used in combat. Also used on the mid war Jug from the D-15/16<birdcage> forward? <Where is Stoney?> there are just to many pictures to post many more than the late war Jug.
<It was also used on the p-80 wingtips and a couple other planes>

The Jug could also use the 108 gal tank and the flat 200 gal centerline tank.

As far as the Mustang... I believe there were only 4-6 planes   :) that used the 165 gallon tanks.
Also as far as I know the RAF either used bombs or rockets not both.

EDIT: see tunnelrats post above

..and yes my wish would be to bring new Countries planes or Ground Vehicle's before adding another plane or GV from an existing country why? I would like to see htc adding 1 or 2 Australian planes or a Polish plane or 2 or 3 French planes? Some countries only had 20 planes at the start of hostilities. Get some new countries in the game.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2012, 01:15:24 PM by Megalodon »
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #77 on: July 26, 2012, 02:10:00 PM »
I asked a while ago about the correct tanks for the 38,  the issue was finding the correct dimensions to model them.  I can't find anything with that info.  I even asked the guys who own Ruff Stuff when I visited.  They had a number of the real tanks in thier hanger.  No go.  If you can find that info it might help the cause. 
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2012, 06:00:17 PM »
I asked a while ago about the correct tanks for the 38,  the issue was finding the correct dimensions to model them.  I can't find anything with that info.  I even asked the guys who own Ruff Stuff when I visited.  They had a number of the real tanks in thier hanger.  No go.  If you can find that info it might help the cause. 

Here is a set <2 halves> for sale 7k.

http://www.warbird-parts.com/index.html
http://www.warbird-parts.com/invent/p-38.html

"P-38 drop tank, 165 gal.,  these are (2) brand new halves, never assembled,approx  10' x 6" long by 27" wide, steel, always stored indoors, no rust or dents, excellent condition    $3,500 ea"

Maybe you could get in touch,
 :cheers:
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #79 on: July 26, 2012, 07:42:54 PM »

"P-38 drop tank, 165 gal.,  these are (2) brand new halves, never assembled,approx  10' x 6" long by 27" wide, steel, always stored indoors, no rust or dents, excellent condition    $3,500 ea"

You could turn those tanks into a Lake Racer.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #80 on: July 26, 2012, 09:48:43 PM »

Not sure what I'd do with two drop tank halves.  I thought there would be some diagram somewhere of the dimensions as it would be nice to have those modeled, and the 108 paper tank for the 51.  The flat tank for the Jug would be nice as well. 

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #81 on: July 27, 2012, 10:16:05 AM »
Not sure what I'd do with two drop tank halves.  I thought there would be some diagram somewhere of the dimensions as it would be nice to have those modeled, and the 108 paper tank for the 51.  The flat tank for the Jug would be nice as well. 

I am thinking you could make some pretty awesome jungle juice in those... or maybe turn them into a smoker, that would be the best smoker in the world hands down.

OR, rig it as an aux tank to your Trans Am!

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2012, 10:29:08 AM »
... Or maybe you could have it measured and then you would know the dimensions.... Hark!

since there are so hard to find and all,

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2012, 10:49:16 AM »
... Or maybe you could have it measured and then you would know the dimensions.... Hark!

since there are so hard to find and all,

Fin you never change.   It is not a priority of mine.  It never has been a priority of mine.  So spending the time to track down and measure drop tanks isn't in the cards for me. 

I'm agreeing with you on it would be nice to have more DT options.  You said you care about this stuff so I tell you what I understood was the reason we don't have the correct shape for the 165 tank, and you still want to be cranky. 
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2012, 12:22:56 PM »
I am thinking you could make some pretty awesome jungle juice in those... or maybe turn them into a smoker, that would be the best smoker in the world hands down.

OR, rig it as an aux tank to your Trans Am!

Why rig is at a auxiliary fuel tank when you can turn the 165g drop tank into this?

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2012, 03:00:09 PM »
Why rig is at a auxiliary fuel tank when you can turn the 165g drop tank into this?
(Image removed from quote.)

ack-ack

That is AWESOME.

:rock

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #86 on: July 29, 2012, 07:17:19 PM »
This is the rocket wiring diagram I was looking for to show.  Interestingly, there is no "older" or "newer" wiring diagram for the P51s Rocket system in this maintenance book, whereas many many many other systems do have at the least an older and newer variation in the book.

The question forming in my search is when did the optional rocket loadout option with a standard for up to 10 change to the superseding standard of 6 (which may not of happened until after the war) in the USAAF?....
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #87 on: August 03, 2012, 03:50:51 PM »
So.... 10 rockets? 

Edit: and 110gal tanks?

« Last Edit: August 03, 2012, 03:58:15 PM by Babalonian »