Author Topic: Navigation and fuel  (Read 539 times)

Offline texasfighter

• Copper Member
Navigation and fuel
« on: July 27, 2012, 04:25:32 PM »
Navigation: the map squares are all numbered but people talk about a number instead each square. So I am guessing that the numbering is left to right 0 thru 10, is that right? Some also refer to quadrants. Is a quadrant a square? How many miles in a square?

How do I know how much fuel I need for a flight or how much I need to RTB or a different base? If I have 30 minutes of fuel left while flying a F4U1A, how far will that get me at a fast cruise. (I seem to never fly slower than fast cruise. Do you?) If there are B-17s at 18,000 and I am at 4,000 a whole square away in my F4U1A, do I have a chance at engaging and still fly home with 35 minutes left? I did last night but only got one pass in. Then had to RTB. Are there fuel consumption tables somewhere?

Thanks!
Tex

"If you wanted a glamor picture to send home you sat in a Mustang, when you wanted to come back from a mission you sat in a Thunderbolt."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: Navigation and fuel
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2012, 04:52:59 PM »
A map square is (in the main arenas) always 25 miles. The sector numbers are usually printed on the map and go indeed left-right, bottom-top. Locations are usually given by sector number (for example 10-4), if you want to give a more precise location you would say 10-4-3, with "3" being the keypad number - imagine the sector split into smaller sectors numbered like the keypad of your keyboard. (10-4-3 would thus be the lower right corner in sector 10-4)

On fuel endurance: Use the E6B function on your clipboard in flight. It will tell you not only how much fuel / flighttime you have left, but also will tell you the remaining range on the power/rpm settings you currently have.

If there are B-17s at 18,000 and I am at 4,000 a whole square away in my F4U1A, do I have a chance at engaging and still fly home with 35 minutes left?

Depends on distance to the closest friendly base and if the bomber is in- or outbound, but 35 minutes is quite a lot of flighttime remaining. Many fighters in AH don't even have that much endurance to start with. At 350 mph, it takes only 4 1/2 minutes to cross a sector in level flight.

It's just a matter of time until you got a feel for fuel loadouts and consumption.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 04:57:14 PM by Lusche »
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline Vapor

• Zinc Member
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2012, 05:18:41 PM »
Definitely try different loadouts and manifold / rpm to get mileage. Experience will get you there, but seek out BigRat in Training Arena to become one with the hog  :salute

Lt. Vapor
VF-17 Jolly Rogers
AH Tour 115 start

Offline hawkeye61

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2012, 06:30:52 PM »
Nav: As stated, most folks use the keypad system. This is just a way to make the position of a known enemy more precise (if you can't see it on radar). Since Main Arena sectors are all 25x25 mile squares, instead of having to search 625 square miles to find the bandit, you can narrow that down to about 64.

Fuel: Again, as mentioned, the E6B is your friend here. The fuel, time, and range remaining for your current throttle/RPM settings are displayed for you. Since we know sectors are 25 miles wide, if your range says 50, you can cover about 2 sectors. That's obviously a one-way trip. If your range says 50 and you need to return to the base you just took off from, you can only go out about half the distance to have enough gas to make it home. This is usually referred to as Combat Radius (how far you can go out to fight and still have enough gas to return home).

A handy tool for navigation/fuel planning is the "Rule of 60". For every 60mph of Ground Speed you have you are traveling 1 mile per minute. (In the Main Arenas there is no wind, so True Airspeed and Ground Speed are the same).

60mph = 1 mile/minute
120mph = 2 miles/minute
180mph = 3 miles/minute
240mph = 4 miles/minute
300mph = 5 miles/minute...etc.

So, if you are flying at 300mph TAS/GS you will cover one sector width in 5 minutes (25 miles at 5 miles/minute).

Experiment with power settings, but keep in mind the Max Range settings are provided for you on the E6B. That will give you the max distance covered for the lowest fuel burn. Also, if you are descending from altitude with idle power, you are burning nearly no gas, so that can save you some fuel here and there.

Be sure to build in a little buffer (extra gas) to get yourself out of combat and headed home.
They leave this ship and they do their job. Then they must find this speck lost somewhere on the sea. When they find it they have to land on it's pitching deck.
Where do we get such men?

Hurricane Mk I: Scourge of the Storch

Offline bbosen

• Silver Member
      • AskMisterWizard.com
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 07:00:09 AM »
Hey Texasfighter!

....Greetins' from a fellow Texan, and welcome to your new addiction! Here's a page full of video training clips on using the map to navigate:

http://techvideoreview.com/FlightSimMovies/AcesHigh/Training/AcesHighTrainingByPeabodyPage07Full.htm

I hope it helps!
 :salute

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 07:26:49 PM »

60mph = 1 mile/minute
120mph = 2 miles/minute
180mph = 3 miles/minute
240mph = 4 miles/minute
300mph = 5 miles/minute...etc.

So, if you are flying at 300mph TAS/GS you will cover one sector width in 5 minutes (25 miles at 5 miles/minute).

Thanks for that. Pretty handy. I've always been lazy and just guess.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2012, 07:28:35 PM by shiv »
You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.