Author Topic: BMW 328i?  (Read 2888 times)

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
Re: BMW 328i?
« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2012, 10:19:42 PM »
I would give Audi a chance, particularly the A6.

I bought a 2001 A6 2.7T instead of the BMW specifically because I found the interior to be superior (the BMW used those giant plastic buttons that are the same material as the dash for example)  The drive train to be superior in terms of equivalent price (I was in the $10K to 15K range) and I got a 6spd bi-turbo with awd, compared with a 5spd na v6 2wd.

Lastly the Audi's subtle lines and smooth curves gave a nice subtleness to a fantastic machine without screaming our I DRIVE A BMW LOOK AT ME!

Neither of these are cheap to fix btw.  Replacing a thermostat...yes a THERMOSTAT in my audi required $300 and would not be considered easy for a do-it-yourself-er.

Offline flight17

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: July 28, 2012, 10:25:45 PM »
As long as it's low mileage you can't go wrong with a beemer. 3 series are great cars.

i see them "nickel and dime" their owners around 100k miles though. had a 7 series that needed a few grand of work, including a phantom steering vibration. bmw couldn't find that either.
 had an 04 3 series needing a new degas bottle, new lower control arm bushings, valve cover gaskets, and some other stuff. i have an o4 3 series in the bay right now that's cost its owner about $5k in the last 7 months. right now, it's got a phantom oil leak. i can't pinpoint it. yet.

i've seen ball joints go bad, tie rods, etc, but those are basic maintenance.

now.....if you're very young, and this is your first car, then stay away, 'cause there aint nothing cheap to fix on them.
I'm 20... The only thing I haven't looked into for them yet is the insurance. But I would be paying for the entire car myself.

I wasn't even remotely considering them until I was looking through the dealers in the area and saw 07s and 08s going for about the same price I was going to spend on my car anyways. I know they are more expensive for parts but was just curious as to how much more. My uncles both work on cars, with one owning his own garage, however, I don't know if they will be able to work on them as it sort of sounds like only BMW dealer can.

If I could only get that mustang in Pheonix... It's exactly what I want...
119th Riffle Tank Regiment leader -Red Storm Krupp Steel Scenario

Active Member of Air Heritage Inc. http://airheritage.org/

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2012, 10:27:42 PM »
I would give Audi a chance, particularly the A6.

I bought a 2001 A6 2.7T instead of the BMW specifically because I found the interior to be superior (the BMW used those giant plastic buttons that are the same material as the dash for example)  The drive train to be superior in terms of equivalent price (I was in the $10K to 15K range) and I got a 6spd bi-turbo with awd, compared with a 5spd na v6 2wd.

Lastly the Audi's subtle lines and smooth curves gave a nice subtleness to a fantastic machine without screaming our I DRIVE A BMW LOOK AT ME!

Neither of these are cheap to fix btw.  Replacing a thermostat...yes a THERMOSTAT in my audi required $300 and would not be considered easy for a do-it-yourself-er.

audis don't scream much out, 'cause they spend a large portion of their time in the repair shop.  :devil
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2012, 10:29:44 PM »
I'm 20... The only thing I haven't looked into for them yet is the insurance. But I would be paying for the entire car myself.

I wasn't even remotely considering them until I was looking through the dealers in the area and saw 07s and 08s going for about the same price I was going to spend on my car anyways. I know they are more expensive for parts but was just curious as to how much more. My uncles both work on cars, with one owning his own garage, however, I don't know if they will be able to work on them as it sort of sounds like only BMW dealer can.

bear in mind, i love my mustangs.....try to not act too shocked at that.......but at your age, the way things are, if the choices are a 3 series, or a mustang.......take the 3 series. you've got plenty of years to get yourself a nice stang.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline TheAssi

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2012, 10:32:25 PM »
SUV with a folding back seat for those times when she's ready right now.

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2012, 11:46:58 PM »

Insurance will be no joke.   
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline flight17

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2012, 11:55:49 PM »
Insurance will be no joke.   
As in expensive or really cheap? I'm expecting it to be $200 a month off a pure guess...
119th Riffle Tank Regiment leader -Red Storm Krupp Steel Scenario

Active Member of Air Heritage Inc. http://airheritage.org/

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2012, 01:19:28 AM »
Almost any thing you do to the car has to be coded into the electronics.  If you need a new battery for instance, you can figure on a five hundred dollar bill.  The car has to be programmed so it knows it has a new one so it can charge and maintain correctly.  You are required to use the best grade of fuel available.  If you lose your key you can figure on 200+ dollars and it has to be programmed and ordered from BMW dealer.

What a nonsense.  :rolleyes:

I'm sending Cap1 over to BMW with a Commando team to sort them out.
Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Rash

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2012, 01:28:22 AM »
can it tow a boat?
The UNFORGIVEN

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2012, 01:32:58 AM »
Yes but it has to be programmed into the 16 onboard computers first. Only $979.99.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline Masherbrum

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2012, 10:45:10 AM »
As in expensive or really cheap? I'm expecting it to be $200 a month off a pure guess...

If not a touch more.   Honestly, you're throwing money away at your age Flight.    You'd be better off with a Fusion/Malibu/used cheaper car than a Beemer and use the money saved over 4-5 years and put a down payment on a house.
-=Most Wanted=-

FSO Squad 412th FNVG
http://worldfamousfridaynighters.com/
Co-Founder of DFC

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2012, 10:49:08 AM »
If not a touch more.   Honestly, you're throwing money away at your age Flight.    You'd be better off with a Fusion/Malibu/used cheaper car than a Beemer and use the money saved over 4-5 years and put a down payment on a house.

This, I rather wish I put my money into a house then a car, then again I laugh when people spend $1500 a month on a nice apartment rather then $700 on a dump, at least you save money for a house that can be just as nice for half the price.
JG 52

Offline Dragon

• Platinum Member
      • AH JUGS
« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2012, 11:02:48 AM »

Good point.  We bought our house 20 years ago while driving a pair of under $1000 cars.  Best investment ever.

Statistically your going to crash the first car you buy whether it's you fault or someone elses.  Do you really want to do that to a nice BMW?
SWchef  Lieutenant Colonel  Squadron Training Officer  125th Spartan Warriors

Offline eagl

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2012, 12:09:42 PM »
Find a used pontiac G8 GT :)  Get the service records and do not buy one with any steering wheel wobble (a known problem with a handful of the cars) but it is a respectable 4-door sedan that can do about 160mph with 361 hp and is easily modifiable to over 500hp.

And you can probably find them fairly cheap.  New they cost maybe 2/3 the cost of a comparable taurus SHO and half what an equivalent beemer would cost.
Everyone I know, goes away, in the end.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2012, 01:15:43 PM »
This, I rather wish I put my money into a house then a car, then again I laugh when people spend $1500 a month on a nice apartment rather then $700 on a dump, at least you save money for a house that can be just as nice for half the price.

sad part about that, is even the dumpy apartments in my little corner of nj run around 1k a month.......
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"