Author Topic: I wish  (Read 771 times)

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
Re: I wish
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2012, 12:46:10 PM »
So the Bf109K-4 and La-7 should be as well?  What about the Spitfire Mk VIII?  It is only slightly behind the Spitfire Mk XVI in acceleration and climbing.

You want these perked even though the P-51D in your signature has much, much higher usage?  What should be done about that?

Play fantasy match-up between the Spit XVI and any other plane.  The only real disadvantages the Spit will ever have is lack of top end speed.  There are very few situations against a few elite late war planes in which the Spit XVI is decidedly outclassed. 

A P-51 flown poorly is either a floundering turd waiting to be towered or on the deck running home.  A Spit XVI flown poorly can still get kills.  It does too many things above average to not have a price to pay for losing one.

Lastly, if the Spit XVI stays unperked, I want free -4's!  :old:
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2012, 01:13:37 PM »
Triton, the -4 outclasses the 16 in pretty much any category except for (maybe) sustained climb.

The 16 being unperked is not a basis for the unperking of a -4
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2012, 01:32:16 PM »
Triton, the -4 outclasses the 16 in pretty much any category except for (maybe) sustained climb.

The 16 being unperked is not a basis for the unperking of a -4

I should have added a  :neener: instead of  :old:

I understand the -4 is the better plane.  I heart the -4.  The point I was making is the Spit XVI is a dominant aircraft that has a long list of things it does well.  The -4 does many things well too, yet has a moderate/high perk price.

If the 16 were perked, I do not think it should have the price of the -4, fwiw.
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline B4Buster

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2012, 03:09:08 PM »
I should have added a  :neener: instead of  :old:

I understand the -4 is the better plane.  I heart the -4.  The point I was making is the Spit XVI is a dominant aircraft that has a long list of things it does well.  The -4 does many things well too, yet has a moderate/high perk price.

If the 16 were perked, I do not think it should have the price of the -4, fwiw.

Sorry, I did miss the sarcasm.  :bhead
"I was a door gunner on the space shuttle Columbia" - Scott12B

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2012, 03:40:36 PM »
I've watched many spit14 auger or have killed them using spit8, spit9 and spit16 becasue players try to fly it like the other 3 spitfires. If it becomes unperked, just like the G14\K4 there will be a small cadre of Uber Aces. The rest will be defeated by the spit14 itself or choose not to fly it becasue of it's exacting requirements to succeed with it below 15k. Most will burn off their fuel above 15k relying soley on it's WEP as their best ACM manuver.

You can always tell when you are chasing a neophyt in one. It wobbles around alot during manuvering and stalls on the turns.

I think unperking the Tempest or F4U-4 would be a mistake. Unperking the spit14 will make the G14\K4 drivers work a little harder.
bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline JunkyII

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2012, 03:45:30 PM »
+1 to Buster's post
DFC Member
Proud Member of Pigs on the Wing
"Yikes"

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2012, 06:56:36 AM »
 I don't think any of the Spitfires need perked mostly because just the wind from a 20mm cannon round going by it seems to tear off it's wings lol. Plus the fuel load is not so great even with a drop tank compared to a P-51 with say 50% fuel and the ords lay out is so so for the Spitfires with weak under carriages to boot. But the Spits are fun to fly for sure.