Author Topic: 150 octane fuel  (Read 9908 times)

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
Re: 150 octane fuel
« Reply #45 on: August 06, 2012, 05:57:56 PM »
Perhaps not, but why not at least run the Spitfire Mk XIV on 150 octane?  It is already controlled by a perk cost.  It is also hardly ever used due to its poor performance.  Perhaps 150 octane would boost its performance enough to get used more often.

Regardless of the speed I think it does not get used because its quite tricky to fly  :D rather un spit like  :old:

Offline Midway

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: August 06, 2012, 06:00:51 PM »
Regardless of the speed I think it does not get used because its quite tricky to fly  :D rather un spit like  :old:

The only reason I don't fly it more is the short fuel range.

PARADISE ON EARTH  ------->  http://www.youtube.com/v/g_D4RhfCY2M&autoplay=1&hd=1&fs=1   <-------  PARADISE ON EARTH :)

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #47 on: August 06, 2012, 06:07:19 PM »
Do it!  Give us the uber 190s.  :devil
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2012, 06:13:30 PM »
I'd like a P38 on 150 octane... :huh :x

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #49 on: August 06, 2012, 06:56:41 PM »
Regardless of the speed I think it does not get used because its quite tricky to fly  :D rather un spit like  :old:
If it actually outperformed the free Bf109K-4 there might be a reason to use it, but as it is the Spitfire Mk XIV is just a perked Bf109K-4 with some slight advantages and some disadvantages as compared to the free Bf109K-4.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Denniss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #50 on: August 06, 2012, 07:26:44 PM »
http://www.hitechcreations.com/wiki/index.php/Bf_109K-4

I don't know how recent this speedchart is but maxspeed is a bit too much for a production prop (9-12159). It somehow matches the special/experimental Dünnblattprop (9-12199) though.
Fuel duration data smells a bit strange - should be a couple of minutes more.

BTW the K-4 achieved these speeds only with C3 fuel + MW-injection

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: August 06, 2012, 08:04:49 PM »

...statistical snippet...

At least by killstats the K-4 has been all over them in all of 2011, and largely the G-14 too. The K-4 had an impressive K/D of 1.4 ( 20,995 kills to 14,905 deaths) vs all UK+US fighters, the only real exceptions being the F4U-4 and -C and the Tempest.

... statistical snippet...

Yeah, I think that has more to do with pilot skill than the plane.

I mean lets face it, the spitfire IS a noob ride. It has a relatively high number of new or lesser-skilled pilots, largely because it is very forgiving, and almost coddles the pilots. Same with the P-51, for a combination of being the most famous american fighter, and because its also fairly forgiving.

The 109's, on the other hand, are not at all forgiving. Even the K4 can really only run unless the pilot is both fairly skilled and fairly experienced with the K4 or another later model 109. The balistics are poorer or, in the case of the K4's 30mm, just terrible.

This means that newer pilots are going to be pushed away from it. The K4 also draws some of the better sticks, because of its high skill ceiling.

And regardless of how much it was used, or if its perfectly representative of post D-day WWII, 150 octane fuel is still a bad idea for every fighter save possible the Spit 14.

Why? It will make allied fighters MUCH more prevelant in the MA's, and it will completely screw the axis out of any chance at winning a post D-day scenario.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: August 06, 2012, 08:22:06 PM »
would the difference in Fuel be that major?

serious question.

Offline HighTone

• Silver Member
      • Squad Site
« Reply #53 on: August 06, 2012, 08:25:10 PM »
The Spit is not a noob ride, nor is the K4 some kind of "experten need only apply" ride. And with 10 minutes of WEP and the ability to climb to mars, the K4 is forgiving enough for the noobs. Problem is it doesn't have a History Channel special on it, and unfortunately that's where most noobs get their info.  

And by the way I have no dog in the fight. I don't see HTC doing this and it wouldn't matter much to me if they did. Just commenting on the Noobs part  :joystick:
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 08:27:04 PM by HighTone »

LCA Special Events CO     LCA ~Tainan Kokutai~       
www.lcasquadron.org      Thanks for the Oscar HTC

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: August 06, 2012, 09:00:40 PM »
If it actually outperformed the free Bf109K-4 there might be a reason to use it, but as it is the Spitfire Mk XIV is just a perked Bf109K-4 with some slight advantages and some disadvantages as compared to the free Bf109K-4.

I see more disadvantages than advantages when comparing the two. There's really not much besides the armament difference, better hi-alt performance (pointless since no one ever fights that high in the MA), and slightly better climb.

The armament is certainly decent, but it doesn't matter if you can't get your guns on the K4. The climb difference is not that noticeable against a K4, and 90% of MA fights are under 20K.

I'm a K4 lover but I really think its ENY needs to be dropped to 10.0 or 8.0.

semp

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: August 06, 2012, 09:19:37 PM »
The Spit is not a noob ride, nor is the K4 some kind of "experten need only apply" ride. And with 10 minutes of WEP and the ability to climb to mars, the K4 is forgiving enough for the noobs. Problem is it doesn't have a History Channel special on it, and unfortunately that's where most noobs get their info.  

And by the way I have no dog in the fight. I don't see HTC doing this and it wouldn't matter much to me if they did. Just commenting on the Noobs part  :joystick:

Spit is kind of a noob ride, no way to argue otherwise. Even if you completely ignore how easy it is to fight in one, there still the fact that it has a higher-than-average number of noob pilots.

Saying the K4 is forgiving at 20k, while technically true, is entirely irrelevent. Most MA fights happen at 10K or lower, where the K4 isn't forgiving. Fact is that noobs will tend to shy away from the K4, and that higher-level pilots will be drawn to it for the reasons I listed.

Does that mean you're a noob if you fly a spit? No, it means you fly a spit. I've done it a few times, just never felt any real challenge flying it. Does that mean you have to be an experten to fly a K4? No, it just means that the odds of encountering a noob or unskilled pilot in a 109K4 are lower than they are for something like a spitfire or a P-51.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2012, 09:25:13 PM »

Does that mean you're a noob if you fly a spit? No, it means you fly a spit. I've done it a few times, just never felt any real challenge flying it. Does that mean you have to be an experten to fly a K4? No, it just means that the odds of encountering a noob or unskilled pilot in a 109K4 are lower than they are for something like a spitfire or a P-51.

I actually see quite a few "noobs" in K4s. It's funny though because while a noob might get a lucky hit with a 20mm in a Spit, the one in a K4 can't even ping you once.  :lol

semp

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2012, 09:29:03 PM »
IDK, maybe it got more popular in the past year. Just back in August of '11, I rarely saw another 109K, and only a small fraction of the ones I did see were making noob mistakes.

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #58 on: August 06, 2012, 10:27:52 PM »
would the difference in Fuel be that major?

serious question.
Ki-84 on Japanese fuel: 392mph at ~20,000ft.
Ki-84 on American fuel: 424mph at ~20,000ft.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: August 06, 2012, 10:46:36 PM »
I confess I'm unmoved by arguments based on historical opponents. Mossies never had to worry about F4Us for example.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB