Author Topic: Does the Dr1 ruin the WW1 arena?  (Read 1236 times)

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
Re: Does the Dr1 ruin the WW1 arena?
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2012, 06:20:07 PM »
I do believe that the DR1 is a bit too fast in that arena.  Shouldn't the D7 be quite a bit faster :headscratch:

:salute
BigRat
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2012, 06:33:36 PM »
I do believe that the DR1 is a bit too fast in that arena.  Shouldn't the D7 be quite a bit faster :headscratch:

Historically, due to the nature of it's engine the Dr.I  lost a lot of performance quickly and was in fact outclassed at the typical combat altitudes of late WWI.
However, in AH we are not flying at those alttudes. In the WW1 arena, the action is exlusively limited to furballing on the deck. Without being able to judge the FM in detail, I can still say that this combat environment is very much to the advantage of the Dr.I.
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2012, 08:10:18 PM »
If you fly the sopwith camel correctly that can out class the dr1

as evidenced by it's incredible kill ratio
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2012, 09:09:51 PM »
I tried all the planes in WWI arena and they all feel the same. Yank on the stick till you get on their 6. Seemed pretty boring to me. Although to be fair, I did have fun with friends in the F2b as a gunner.  :)

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2012, 11:07:26 PM »
whenever i face a dr1 i just want to ho it and move on.

will any plane ever be able to outclass the dr1 and not make the situation worse?

who here can clam they are not afraid to face a dr1 in the ww1 arena, and how are you able to defeat the dr1?

:airplane:
 :joystick:

why not just ask the other 2 guys that play there.  why post it here?  :D

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2012, 11:23:53 PM »
The Fokker D.7 seems to pretty good against Dr.I's, at least when used correctly.

Get above them, and keep their energy low. They don't seem to be able to dive all that well, and they're usually pretty low to start out with.

Dr.I = spitfire

D.7 = 109/190 combination
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline R 105

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: August 05, 2012, 08:28:23 AM »
 Seems like no matter what I read the speed of the DR.1 is from 95 to 104 mph while the D.VII is from 118 to 122 with a dive speed of 145+. Looks like our Dr.1 is faster than that. In Rise of Flight the Dr.1 is out classed in speed and clime by the D.VII or so it seems to me. I do not fly the WWI arena because all the planes are cannon fodder for the Dr.1.

Offline FatalError1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2012, 09:13:31 AM »
If the DR1 is that great of a plane why wouldn't you fly one and shoot everyone down? Each plane has its own strength and weakness and if you knew them any plane you flew could be a killer.

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: August 05, 2012, 10:37:24 AM »
I agree the D.VII is better in the vert then the DR1.  The problem is getting enough of an E advanatage over the DR1 to take advantage of it, this is where the D.VII is either lacking in speed or the DR1 is too fast, or I have bad info. As Lusche mentioned maybe the D.VII is about the same speed on the deck as a DR1, will need more research :headscratch:

:salute
BigRat
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: August 05, 2012, 12:32:14 PM »
Yeah, I've always read that the biggest disadvantage the Dr I had against the later fighters was its low speed.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

Offline MK-84

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: August 05, 2012, 10:46:36 PM »
Yeah, I've always read that the biggest disadvantage the Dr I had against the later fighters was its low speed.

Unfortunately in here on the deck they are all fairly similar, only the F2B is fast enough to reliably pull away, but you are still open to fire for a good amount of time.  Atleast you have a gunner to discourage a chase.

Maybe things are different with some alt, but not how we end up fighting.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2012, 11:19:36 PM »
Unfortunately, I think the Dr I might be modeled too fast. I haven't seen anything that puts it around 120mph, and its pulling at least 115.

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2012, 12:38:45 AM »
Hey thats a dogfight arena, who the f cares about speeds??
Btw i have flown the D7 there for a couple sorties, didnt find them unbeatable unless a certain person was flying it.
AoM
City of ice

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2012, 05:26:07 AM »
It can be done in a D7 F2B or an F1, the Camel is hands down the hardest plane in Aces High to fly well, but its like anything in Aces High if you are
prepared to put up with being killed a lot and experiment ways to kill any plane in any other plane will appear gradually.

Transitions between maneuvers in combat equates to angles, nowhere is this more apparent than the WW1 planeset, most don't notice it as much in the WW2 planeset because the higher speeds of the aircraft makes for more distance between 2 aircraft and therefore more opportunity to turn back into your opponent or for someone to simply run away.

A simple comparison would be say the DR1 vs the D7 in a vertical maneuver nose up nose down, try going from nose up to nose down in a vertical climb in both, you will see the DR1, because of the gyro takes a lot longer and the inline of the D7 swings down instantly down like pendulum. The DR1s gyro pulls it to the left at slow speed so take advantage of the inline engine of the D7 and do climbing right hand turns ending with a straight up vertical maneuver then use that extra transition speed to swing your nose over and get guns on the DR1.

Experiment, is pushing my nose down the fastest way to perform this maneuver? What if in the vert I left my plane hanging slightly to the left and used rudder as well as pushing the nose down, is it any faster? Does throttling the engine help get my nose down faster? You will die lots trying but you will find a pattern of success.

The less experienced pilots in WW1 tend to leave 'gaps' between their transitions it takes them longer to link maneuvers and they pay for it in angles with their deaths almost instantly.