Author Topic: Equipment to improve AH play  (Read 5907 times)

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
Re: Equipment to improve AH play
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2012, 07:39:15 PM »
And to the guys who ARE buying them, thinking they'll get some huge advantage, are wasting their money. I already set a difference between the two in my previous posts. There are those that buy it for immersion (who doesn't want a cockpit sim of their favorite plane?), and there are those that buy it to gain as many advantages as they can get, yet they don't realize the "advantage" is almost nothing. At least read the whole thread before calling another person's opinions "foolish".  :aok

but you do get a huge advantage.  it's called fun factor.  plus some of the toys do give you an edge over somebody else.  some of the sticks are better than others.  some guys will swear to the almighty that their accuracy increased when they spent 300 bucks on ch hardware.  some others can tell you that trakir does give you an advantage over hat throttle as you cannot even map all the views using a hat, since it only has 8.

and some others just bought it because it looked cool on their desk and they decided since they work hard for it that it was their gift to themselves.

unless you have used some of the hardware and compare it to what you used before you will never know if it does give you and edge or not.  to me it gives me an edge in both, skill and fun factor.  there isnt a thing I have on my desk that I have bought that I can say, i wasted my money.  as before I bought it I thought about it for a while and researched it to see if it was worth what I paid for to me.

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2012, 07:43:06 PM »
but you do get a huge advantage.  it's called fun factor.  plus some of the toys do give you an edge over somebody else.  some of the sticks are better than others.  some guys will swear to the almighty that their accuracy increased when they spent 300 bucks on ch hardware.  some others can tell you that trakir does give you an advantage over hat throttle as you cannot even map all the views using a hat, since it only has 8.

and some others just bought it because it looked cool on their desk and they decided since they work hard for it that it was their gift to themselves.

unless you have used some of the hardware and compare it to what you used before you will never know if it does give you and edge or not.  to me it gives me an edge in both, skill and fun factor.  there isnt a thing I have on my desk that I have bought that I can say, i wasted my money.  as before I bought it I thought about it for a while and researched it to see if it was worth what I paid for to me.

semp

And there are guys who has bought TrackIR and found them to be a hinder (case in point, SirNuke). YOU might buy these things for the "fun factor", but SOME, wait wait wait...gotta repeat that SOME , buy it because they want the maximum advantage, even though the advantage is minuscule. You surely cannot think a .5 second difference in spotting an enemy plane 6.0K away is a big "advantage".

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2012, 07:52:29 PM »
Having a HOTAS or TrackIR or anything else isn't "buying" skill or will give someone an advantage.  If you suck, you suck no matter what controllers you use.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2012, 08:13:39 PM »
Having a HOTAS or TrackIR or anything else isn't "buying" skill or will give someone an advantage.  If you suck, you suck no matter what controllers you use.

ack-ack

:bhead That's what I've been saying.

semp

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2012, 08:17:19 PM »
And there are guys who has bought TrackIR and found them to be a hinder (case in point, SirNuke). YOU might buy these things for the "fun factor", but SOME, wait wait wait...gotta repeat that SOME , buy it because they want the maximum advantage, even though the advantage is minuscule. You surely cannot think a .5 second difference in spotting an enemy plane 6.0K away is a big "advantage".

no, but using trakir to track an enemy while turning and in the middle of blackouts is a lot easier than if you use a hat to look around.  here watch this short film.  dont tell me you can keep trak of somebody like that using a hat switch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTv4y63JheY&feature=plcp

now please tell me that I could have made that shot without trakir.

semp

« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 08:19:05 PM by guncrasher »

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2012, 09:40:54 PM »
Sure as hell can. Next time I go on a sortie, I'll film it for you. And note, even if you lose sight in a blackout for a second, their plane is not going to magically warp to your 6. Or you know what? Look at some of my films I already posted here.

My 1v1 with MK84 that lasted 5 minutes. http://www.mediafire.com/?edg055mu5o1sofd

My 6 v 1 over a vBase. http://www.mediafire.com/file/tvfyib2a77p707o/8

Tomorrow I'll upload one for you. Or we could DA.

Oh, and there's a Page Up/Page Down too, not just a numpad.  ;)

EDIT: I'll admit, field ack saved me from one of the passes made by the cons in the 6 v 1 vid, but besides that, everything was done by me.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 09:56:52 PM by titanic3 »

semp

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2012, 11:51:57 PM »
upload to youtube or something.  are those full ah files?  are you using fraps or something like that to record?  because otherwise you arent really showing us what you are doing at the time.  I got over 4k films from before i got trakir and I can show you plenty from when i never lost sight of one.  of course you cant tell unless you are recording with fraps or something similar, otherwise it doesnt show your views and black outs, red outs, etc.  that's where trakir is the most helpful.

semp

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2012, 12:00:29 AM »
so Titan was that you tonight who tried to jump me?

a "Titan" tried to jump me while in a F4U4 I was lo and slow.... :t

that made the second kill on him tonight.

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2012, 01:15:17 AM »
For 16 years I've used nothing but my num pad for views.  It's exceptional in tracking cons.  I NEVER lose sight of a con except if it's on purpose.  I use my thumb to control up and down views and adjust my head postition in the middle of a fight.  I highly doubt track IR can do anything I can't.

I use a $45 Saitek AV8R joystick and a 22" monitor.  My hit % is normally in the 10-12% range.  It could be higher with a little discipline but I tend to try for a fair number of long shots (800-1000 yards) and low probability (blind) leading shots in hard turns (which actually aren't that low probability with practice).

I can't even find good uses for all the buttons on my AV8R.  I have fire all mapped to the trigger, fire secondary to the rear handle button, flaps up and down mapped to the left and right handle buttons, fire primary to hat forward, zoom toggle to hat back and WEP to both hat left and right and also to my mouse wheel click.  I don't use the other four hat positions.  On the base buttons I have elevator trim up and down, combat trim toggle and combat trim set mapped to one side and toggle icon view, tail hook and something else I don't use mapped leaving one spot open.  That leaves all my buttons open again using the A/B switch for additional functions.  I also don't use my duel throttles because that's mapped to my mouse scroll wheel.  And then there's my mouse who's extra buttons I can't find a use for.

To think fancy equipment is going to make you a better player is decieving yourself.  I can guarantee that I have no disadvantage of meaningful proportions in any situation in the game except as defined by my own skill relative to that of my opponent.

That said if fancy equipment and lots of buttons make you happy go for it.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 01:21:22 AM by BaldEagl »
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2012, 04:48:19 AM »
BTW semp do you use Bezel compensation ?
now posting as SirNuke

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2012, 08:25:56 AM »
upload to youtube or something.  are those full ah files?  are you using fraps or something like that to record?  because otherwise you arent really showing us what you are doing at the time.  I got over 4k films from before i got trakir and I can show you plenty from when i never lost sight of one.  of course you cant tell unless you are recording with fraps or something similar, otherwise it doesnt show your views and black outs, red outs, etc.  that's where trakir is the most helpful.

semp

Those are full AH films, I figured you could use the recorded views to see how I fly. Very well, I'll record with fraps today, although I only have the free version of it.

And no INK, I go by the name of BackHand now (haha, check 6 wars to Nuke and Bruv :D), and I don't fly F4Us. K4s, Ki84, and P38s are my main rides. ;)

semp

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2012, 08:35:25 AM »
Thx for the shade update  :)
now posting as SirNuke

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2012, 08:40:35 AM »
Thx for the shade update  :)

Not a shade if I'm not paying for it. ;) Courtesy of a friend, otherwise, I wouldn't be playing AH this month. Although I'm pretty sure you guys figured it out by now, you're pretty bright, no? Or not, oh wells, at least now you know. Pretty sure the constant K4 and P38 flying gave it away eh?

semp

Offline Noir

• Platinum Member
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2012, 08:45:08 AM »
I just saw the top gun tag and thought "It just one of them, who cares, they switch name every new moon"

Most of you guys fly K4's anyway  :D
now posting as SirNuke

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2012, 08:56:20 AM »
BTW semp do you use Bezel compensation ?

no noir, I dont.  I got 3 23 in monitors that I bought at different times.  they're not even the same manufacturer as I couldnt afford 600+ all at one time, so I got them when I could afford them.  I have magazines under 2 of them to make them all the same height.

Those are full AH films, I figured you could use the recorded views to see how I fly. Very well, I'll record with fraps today, although I only have the free version of it.

see that's when you see the big advantage of trakir is in full turn black out/red out turns.  You can push your plane a little more and yet you can still keep track of where your enemy is.  those dont get recorded by ah.  obviously we dont agree so arguing will get nowhere.  you will never admit that some things do give you an advantage, but you still have to be able to use that advantage.  if you cant fly the plane for crap then toys wont matter.  if you have never flown with trakir, 3 screens and a nice joystick set up then you have nothing to compare to, so it's fair to say you dont really know if it gives you an advantage or not. :salute

semp