Author Topic: 8th Air Force vs Luftwaffe Mission Planesets, Arenas, Countries  (Read 831 times)

Offline AKKuya

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Gold Member
Many players have posted across the multiple threads covering the individual Mission announcement threads concerning the planesets, arenas and countries.  They have all stated their opinions freely and some with historical background.

I commend them all. :cheers:

To the truth of the matter, of course by being the coordinator of these events I've had to manage the events as best as I could.  I'm a bomber pilot and a part-time AH player to 10 hours a week at most.

I used the best available planes in both planesets to bring in the most amount of players.  To me, what real difference is there between the various fighter aircraft models when the vast majority of players fly them in the most unrealistic manners because sitting in your chair keeps you from experiencing the 5+ G's during the outlandish maneuvers being performed in a virtual enviroment.  The historical aspects are important with the fighter aircraft models being used however, the same reason also in the previous sentence.

This started in the Late War arena with announcments in the forums to coordinate a high altitude bombing mission deep behind enemy lines between the 8th AF and the LW.  8th AF launching from one country and the LW defending on another country.  This was a great blast only hindered by the LW arena server map and players refusing to switch country to either side.  Throw in the night that the map was endanger of being reset during a mission.  Plus, the recent time when the server was constantly resetting and the mission that week was in danger of being destroyed mid flight.

I had to make an executive decision on moving to the Axis vs Allies arena to keep the mission going during the arena reset issue.  The AvA staff wa gracious to offer the use of their arena plus the big bonus of using the Battle of Brittain map to make the missions more historical.

I still get suggestions from players both in the forum publicly and privately about moving back to Late War arena, which country to host them on and to add or subtract to the planeset.  I'm glad to have all that input.  I'm glad to have players wanting to add input.

What I don't like is the attitude of "well, if this doen't happen, then I'm not going to participate because my input wasn't recognized and I'll go do something else."  I have received some PMs to that effect.

Now, it's time for my response to all of this.  It might step on your toes just a bit.

If you don't like what is being done with the plansets and the arena, then take 10 hours a week to plan, organize, recruit, promote, answer Q and A, correspond with other players to coordinate your own event to match what you think will attract other players to it like a moth to light

I appreciate all the info, advice, requests and questions regarding these events.  Some do manage to find them incorporated into these events. 

I have always stated that players are welcome to participate in the planning.  You want your opinions given weight over others?  Then put your money where your mouth is.  Register here and tell me what you are willing to do and how much responsibility you wish to have.

http://stevesscifishootout.forumsland.com

You prefer to be an Axis player and want to participate.  I'll create a private forum for you and me only.  I'm still looking for an Axis CO to lead weekly missions against the 8th AF.

I thank everyone who has been with this from the start and those are new and those who will join.

Chuck Norris can pick oranges from an apple tree and make the best lemonade in the world. Every morning when you wake up, swallow a live toad. Nothing worse can happen to you for the rest of the day. They say money can't buy happiness. I would like the opportunity to find out. Why be serious?

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
Re: 8th Air Force vs Luftwaffe Mission Planesets, Arenas, Countries
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2012, 07:14:53 AM »
<S> to AKKUYA for all you do! We, in the AVA staff are happy to accommodate you and everyone else, and make it happen. for those that don't like the AVA please read AKKUYA's setup to see the settings. we change to his settings to accommodate the event. come in and try it first. its well worth your while, and totally fun! the best part is, after the event is over, you can still keep fighting with each other. there is no "that's it, times up, time to go home". 

Its all about having fun, and we, the AVA staff, try to make it fun for everyone! thanks again AKKUYA for allowing us to host this for you and for putting in the time that you do to set this up!

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2012, 01:22:19 PM »
don't listen to the whiners you cant please everyone...I  :salute you for the time you spend and put into these.....

so tonight will it be in the AVA or MA? its at 8 eastern right?

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2012, 01:27:40 PM »
AvA ink, and yes, 8 EST
Wag more, bark less.

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2012, 01:28:51 PM »
Thank ya Z :salute

I will be there(as long as my connection allows me that is :pray)

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 02:00:38 PM »
9PM EST/8PM CST in the AVA

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2012, 02:02:39 PM »
9PM EST/8PM CST in the AVA

:rofl

cc that

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2012, 02:16:06 PM »
It is not my fault.  I can't tell time. Ask my wife.  She says, "I'll be ready in 5 minutes".  I'm looking at the clock, I know I have seen at least 40 minutes tick by, but nooooooooooo.  I'm wrong, "It's only been 5 minutes" she repeats.  I therefore cannot tell time.

I will not however "Be late to my own funeral", because I'm not going.  I won't be there.

(You guys WILL however hold a memorial flight for me, 35k in P47's, fighter sweep in the MA, that I will show up for)
Wag more, bark less.

Offline captain1ma

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • JG54 website
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2012, 02:49:40 PM »
blaming your wife is not a viable option!

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2012, 03:36:02 PM »
It is not my fault.  I can't tell time. Ask my wife.  She says, "I'll be ready in 5 minutes".  I'm looking at the clock, I know I have seen at least 40 minutes tick by, but nooooooooooo.  I'm wrong, "It's only been 5 minutes" she repeats.  I therefore cannot tell time.

I will not however "Be late to my own funeral", because I'm not going.  I won't be there.

(You guys WILL however hold a memorial flight for me, 35k in P47's, fighter sweep in the MA, that I will show up for)

:rofl