Author Topic: Trinity  (Read 6819 times)

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
Re: Trinity
« Reply #135 on: August 12, 2012, 11:50:31 PM »
So it sounds like your looking for a "campers dream" map. A plateau to sit up on over looking the enemy to pop them with out a chance to be killed yourself. We can't have a big town in the area because people could hide and kill you as you drive by.  :rolleyes: This is the mentality that make the GVin stagnate and boring for most players. The only challenge you accept is trying to be the first to get your shot off when a tank spawns in before all the other campers can.

Fugitive, you always assume the worst about GV suggestions.  In the first place, the plateau is too far away from the base to easily hit GVs, unless you have a perk tank, and even then it’s impractical if they are moving.  Secondly, on a vBase you spawn in a hanger which cannot be shot at from outside the base.  In the case of the plateau I refer to, anyone spawning at that base has complete freedom to deploy as desired without being picked off from the plateau.  Now you may be picked off after leave the center of the base, but that is normal game play, and you can avoid it if you want to.  

To give you an example, my last fight at the above-mentioned base involved no spawn camping at all.  I spawned a Panzer IVF and drove to the plateau.  Nobody was up at the base yet, so I moved down the hill to a location where I could shoot at the Storch hanger without being shot at in return.  I destroyed the Storch hanger with about 20 shots of HE, with someone shooting at my clump of trees ineffectually during the last 10 or so shots.  I could tell from the engine noises in the direction of the base that they were coming out after me.  I moved back up the hill, using clumps of trees as cover, and attained the plateau.  I was able to destroy 2 GVs as they came up the hill, first locating them by sound, moving laterally to a new location, turning off the engine, and ambushing them as they came into view (they died at least 2000 yards distant from the base spawn point; so not spawn camping!).  After the Storch hanger recovered, I was harassed by Storches, but I was able to mostly negate their effect by moving back and forth along the rim of the plateau in order to populate it with a line of orange smoke markers, thus denying useful information to the guys coming out from the base.  Using various ambush techniques which I won’t bore you with here, I got 3 more of them before running out of ammo and leaving.  

This was an exceptionally fun (and somewhat lucky) fight.  It would have been much less interesting without the hilly terrain and the plateau.  (Imagine how boring fighter combat would be if you were forced to stay at the same altitude).  It also would have been impossible had there been any attack aircraft present.  It was just me against 2 guys defending the vBase, so no squads or hordes.  I claim that this style of game play has a place in AH, along side the traditional styles.  

Of the 12 MA maps we have 6 of them are HTC made which means we have been using them for almost 10 years.... way before any GVin was a part of the game. The other 6 have a mixture of added GV action. The last map added I think was "Montis" What kind of GVin it has I couldn't tell you. It seems to get reset very quickly, but even so, how long ago was that map released? The only date listed at the download page are for the last updates to the maps, not their releases. It has got to be a few years since we've had a new map. NHawk did "montis and he last played March 2009 (if the name is the same guy). How much more has the GV game become popular in those 3+ years?

I agree that most maps were made when GVs were not a major consideration.  I don’t agree that the creators of new maps (in progress) have adequately considered the GV-friendliness of their maps, based on my reading of their posts on the Forum.  

MH
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 12:10:35 AM by TDeacon »

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #136 on: August 13, 2012, 09:04:57 AM »
My stipulation is that the duel occurs over 30,000 feet.

Why would anyone spend a long time climbing to fight a duel?

Simply take off meet up and fight.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline Iraqvet

• Copper Member
« Reply #137 on: August 13, 2012, 10:24:54 AM »
Fugitive, you always assume the worst about GV suggestions.  In the first place, the plateau is too far away from the base to easily hit GVs, unless you have a perk tank, and even then it’s impractical if they are moving.  Secondly, on a vBase you spawn in a hanger which cannot be shot at from outside the base.  In the case of the plateau I refer to, anyone spawning at that base has complete freedom to deploy as desired without being picked off from the plateau.  Now you may be picked off after leave the center of the base, but that is normal game play, and you can avoid it if you want to.  

To give you an example, my last fight at the above-mentioned base involved no spawn camping at all.  I spawned a Panzer IVF and drove to the plateau.  Nobody was up at the base yet, so I moved down the hill to a location where I could shoot at the Storch hanger without being shot at in return.  I destroyed the Storch hanger with about 20 shots of HE, with someone shooting at my clump of trees ineffectually during the last 10 or so shots.  I could tell from the engine noises in the direction of the base that they were coming out after me.  I moved back up the hill, using clumps of trees as cover, and attained the plateau.  I was able to destroy 2 GVs as they came up the hill, first locating them by sound, moving laterally to a new location, turning off the engine, and ambushing them as they came into view (they died at least 2000 yards distant from the base spawn point; so not spawn camping!).  After the Storch hanger recovered, I was harassed by Storches, but I was able to mostly negate their effect by moving back and forth along the rim of the plateau in order to populate it with a line of orange smoke markers, thus denying useful information to the guys coming out from the base.  Using various ambush techniques which I won’t bore you with here, I got 3 more of them before running out of ammo and leaving.  
This was an exceptionally fun (and somewhat lucky) fight.  It would have been much less interesting without the hilly terrain and the plateau.  (Imagine how boring fighter combat would be if you were forced to stay at the same altitude).  It also would have been impossible had there been any attack aircraft present.  It was just me against 2 guys defending the vBase, so no squads or hordes.  I claim that this style of game play has a place in AH, along side the traditional styles.  

I agree that most maps were made when GVs were not a major consideration.  I don’t agree that the creators of new maps (in progress) have adequately considered the GV-friendliness of their maps, based on my reading of their posts on the Forum.  

MH

TDeacon ...right on with the above I agree.  :aok  But good luck getting your point across to Fugitive.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2012, 10:26:56 AM by Iraqvet »
***The Perk Tank Snuff***
HHC 1-502nd "Strike" Infantry 101st Airborne Division Air Assault!
The very essence of leadership is its purpose. The purpose of leadership is to accomplish a task. That is what leadership does and what it does is more important than what it is or how it works

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #138 on: August 13, 2012, 04:58:00 PM »
Why would anyone spend a long time climbing to fight a duel?

Simply take off meet up and fight.

It's called realism.

Here are a couple of action reports from WWII.

S/L "Tony" Gaze (Australian) of 64 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 11 October 1942:

15 miles inland from Dunkirk I noticed 4 F.W. 190's approaching the Wing at about 27,000' from the direction of St. Omer. I climbed up into the sun and led the Squadron down. Two of them immediately rolled over and dived away, the other two turned gently right, climbing. I easily out-climbed them and closed, the right hand E/A went straight ahead, whilst the left one turned left, I easily out-turned him and fired a long burst from the port quarter at about 300 yards hitting him on the starboard wing with H.E. (cannon) as the attack developed into a finer angle. Just as I got to astern I hit his slipstream but came back and fired a long burst closing from 300 yards to 50 yards dead astern seeing cannon strikes on the fuselage. I broke away to avoid a collision and immediately iced up. I think I must have hit the pilot for, after the first strike, the E/A took no evasive action whatever, merely going into a gentle dive in which I overtook him although I closed the throttle. Even when further strikes were seen he flew straight. The actual combat took place at 30,000'.

P/O D.G. Mercer of 122 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report 6 December 1942:

I was flying Yellow 1 on the port side of the Squadron, we had just left the French Coast at Calais at 23,000 ft., W/C ordered Squadron to turn to port, there being many enemy aircraft about. I had been watching several aircraft which I could not identify, about 5,000 ft. above and behind. During the orbit I lost sight of these aircraft and when next I saw them they were diving down from the left quarter from behind. I gave my section orders to break left. My No.2 (P/O T. Parker) turned after me, but not tightly enough, and I saw him go straight down with two 190’s after him – his aircraft didn’t appear then to be damaged in any way. I came round on my turn and attacked the second of the two 190’s from the port side at a point blank range of 50 yds., I gave a one-second mixed burst and saw the Hun’s tail unit break off in pieces. He immediately went into a spin and I last saw him at about 17,000 ft, still going down. After breaking off, four other F.W.’s had come down on me, but by evasive action and full out climbing to 30,000 ft I avoided them, during all this time six more F.W. 190’s were above me. I claim this F.W.190 as Probably Destroyed.

On 12 September 1942 Flying Officer Emanuel Galitzine, flying BS273[nb 4], successfully intercepted a Ju 86R piloted by Fw Horst Götz and commanded by Leutnant Erich Sommer[nb 5] above Southampton at 41,000 ft. The ensuing battle went up to 43,000 ft and was the highest air battle of the war.

Offline crazyivan

• Gold Member
« Reply #139 on: August 13, 2012, 05:07:46 PM »
AKAK aka AckAck. I'm still waiting for our 30k chute duel. I'm pming you now! :furious
POTW
"Atleast I have chicken!"- Leroy Jenkins

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #140 on: August 13, 2012, 05:11:52 PM »
It's called realism.

with the added bonus that anyone with a life wont be bothered to call your bluff and duel you at 30k! :aok
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #141 on: August 13, 2012, 05:20:35 PM »
Sure, I'll take a ticket and wait in the line.

I have a feeling we're both in for a long wait.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #142 on: August 13, 2012, 05:42:46 PM »
It's called realism.

Here are a couple of action reports from WWII.

S/L "Tony" Gaze (Australian) of 64 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report for 11 October 1942:

15 miles inland from Dunkirk I noticed 4 F.W. 190's approaching the Wing at about 27,000' from the direction of St. Omer. I climbed up into the sun and led the Squadron down. Two of them immediately rolled over and dived away, the other two turned gently right, climbing. I easily out-climbed them and closed, the right hand E/A went straight ahead, whilst the left one turned left, I easily out-turned him and fired a long burst from the port quarter at about 300 yards hitting him on the starboard wing with H.E. (cannon) as the attack developed into a finer angle. Just as I got to astern I hit his slipstream but came back and fired a long burst closing from 300 yards to 50 yards dead astern seeing cannon strikes on the fuselage. I broke away to avoid a collision and immediately iced up. I think I must have hit the pilot for, after the first strike, the E/A took no evasive action whatever, merely going into a gentle dive in which I overtook him although I closed the throttle. Even when further strikes were seen he flew straight. The actual combat took place at 30,000'.

P/O D.G. Mercer of 122 Squadron recorded in his Combat Report 6 December 1942:

I was flying Yellow 1 on the port side of the Squadron, we had just left the French Coast at Calais at 23,000 ft., W/C ordered Squadron to turn to port, there being many enemy aircraft about. I had been watching several aircraft which I could not identify, about 5,000 ft. above and behind. During the orbit I lost sight of these aircraft and when next I saw them they were diving down from the left quarter from behind. I gave my section orders to break left. My No.2 (P/O T. Parker) turned after me, but not tightly enough, and I saw him go straight down with two 190’s after him – his aircraft didn’t appear then to be damaged in any way. I came round on my turn and attacked the second of the two 190’s from the port side at a point blank range of 50 yds., I gave a one-second mixed burst and saw the Hun’s tail unit break off in pieces. He immediately went into a spin and I last saw him at about 17,000 ft, still going down. After breaking off, four other F.W.’s had come down on me, but by evasive action and full out climbing to 30,000 ft I avoided them, during all this time six more F.W. 190’s were above me. I claim this F.W.190 as Probably Destroyed.

On 12 September 1942 Flying Officer Emanuel Galitzine, flying BS273[nb 4], successfully intercepted a Ju 86R piloted by Fw Horst Götz and commanded by Leutnant Erich Sommer[nb 5] above Southampton at 41,000 ft. The ensuing battle went up to 43,000 ft and was the highest air battle of the war.
:huh

Offline Raphael

• Gold Member
« Reply #143 on: August 13, 2012, 05:44:43 PM »
What we need is a revolutionary idea in maps. The same old map makers probably will not come up with something new.

What dont one of you stop whining and make a map instead?  :devil
isn't any hero going to say "challenge accepted!"?  :(
Remember 08/08/2012
 Youtube videos - http://www.youtube.com/user/raphael103/featured
Game ID => Raphael
XO of Jg5

Offline Chemdawg

• Copper Member
« Reply #144 on: August 13, 2012, 07:53:39 PM »
Working on one now....

but being new at this, don't hold your breath.

:joystick:

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #145 on: August 13, 2012, 10:09:07 PM »
isn't any hero going to say "challenge accepted!"?  :(

I'm kind of curious as to why HTC isn't hiring for more workers to help out with this stuff. Hell, that'd be a pretty cool job if you can make maps for a game and be paid for it. You wouldn't even need to go to the office to work too. You only need one or two dedicated map makers to pump out one map every two months or so.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #146 on: August 13, 2012, 11:24:18 PM »
I have a feeling we're both in for a long wait.

ack-ack

Not so.

Offline bj229r

• Platinum Member
« Reply #147 on: August 14, 2012, 03:54:59 PM »
I'm kind of curious as to why HTC isn't hiring for more workers to help out with this stuff. Hell, that'd be a pretty cool job if you can make maps for a game and be paid for it. You wouldn't even need to go to the office to work too. You only need one or two dedicated map makers to pump out one map every two months or so.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you've never owned a business
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers

http://www.flamewarriors.net/forum/

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #148 on: August 14, 2012, 05:56:10 PM »
I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess you've never owned a business

That would be why I'm asking...

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #149 on: August 14, 2012, 06:04:24 PM »
Last night in the MA, not on Trinity, we had two bases with very intense and dynamic/evolving/changing/progressing fights happening on each front, and I remembered this game has the Me163.  I was :D  :banana: , and I hope many others were too.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2012, 06:06:40 PM by Babalonian »
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.