Author Topic: Trinity  (Read 7949 times)

Offline IrishOne

• Silver Member
Re: Trinity
« Reply #75 on: August 10, 2012, 02:17:47 PM »
My stipulation is that the duel occurs over 30,000 feet.

didnt we try this once, right after you claimed to be god's gift to the 110?   to your credit you did survive almost a full turn.   was well worth the month long climb.    epic fight it was.
-AoM-

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: August 10, 2012, 02:48:32 PM »
Back when we were limited to small maps I thought about building a map based on Trinity sort of like someone built SmPizza loosely based on the original Pizza.

I never got further than the rough idea below.  Darker is higher, light green is approximately sea level.  Gray are canyons.  Red seperates countries.  GV bases are red and connected by spawns and airfields are in black.  Note the mountain ranges run through the middle of each country.  Also note the high airfields in the back to let bombers get to alt.

Maybe someone who knows how to make maps could do this one.

(Image removed from quote.)

You could try it out yourself.  It is not difficult, but is a ton of work. 

My map (called PITA) has been dormant for well over a year.  Skuzzy told me there are too many fields and they are too close.  There is still some elevation fine tuning and the entire texture terrain to do.  Now all the bases have to be redone as well.  There are going to be features on this map (if it ever gets done) that will be quite different than most of the maps we have.  Here is the general layout and a shot of one base:

There will be a broad initial front line, in addition to the coastline; which is intended to give more options and spread out the fight.  The tallest elevation on the entire map is 5,000 feet, with bases anywhere from 0k to 5k.  Another thing is there will be many more spawn points than other maps.  And canyons.  Good luck finding a stretch of flat ground that isn't a beach head or ocean.   :D

The thing that has stalled my progress (other than having to re-do all the bases) is how quickly the small maps are whisked out of the rotation.  To spend hundreds of hours pointing and clicking every elevation and terrain tile, only to not be able to play on my map because the base rollers reset it while I was at work... that is a frustrating possibility.  It is doubtful that I ever missed a chance to play on Trinity before it got reset.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #77 on: August 10, 2012, 03:57:04 PM »
Icepak

Do you still hate me ?

Honest question. not a troll or a trap or an opening for me to stab you when you answer.

Nope....consider you a friend.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #78 on: August 10, 2012, 04:00:24 PM »

didnt we try this once, right after you claimed to be god's gift to the 110?   to your credit you did survive almost a full turn.   was well worth the month long climb.    epic fight it was.

Film shows me on the stall horn trying to turn to the merge after just having attained 30,000 feet.

It's fully my fault of not checking the DA fuel burn to find it 1.0 and taking 50% fuel and drop tanks to your taking 25% fuel.

We must do it again with what I learned and thanks for making my first ever sortie in the dueling arena such a fun time and a great learning experience.

I'm not super enthused with the dueling arena settings because they remove any worries about fuel meaning everybody is flying around with super light planes and are able to see all dots all the time.

You are third in line.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 04:20:58 PM by icepac »

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #79 on: August 10, 2012, 04:21:16 PM »
Would love to hear some feedback from HTC on this...

Every week come with its trinity hate thread, still no action was taken.

That's because (duh...) not everyone hates it.  It's always the same guys on the "Trinity hate thread".   As I mentioned on a number of posts, there are a lot of good things in Trinity *including* the tall mountains.  Just yesterday, I was thinking about the claim of limited fights.  I looked at the map (admittedly a single sample, but not an unusual one) and although the front lines had (mostly) retreated to the mountains, there were beachheads on all 3 countries which opened up at least 10 additional adjacent base pairs to fight from. 

So I am suspicious that (most of) the guys who hate Trinity are not stating their real reason, which is they get their fun from taking undefended territory as part of a horde, instead of fights.  This is probably what some of them mean when they say that 400 players are "lost" on Trinity; i.e., that the undefended bases which they like to attack are shielded by mountains and hard to get to. 

MH
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 04:31:22 PM by TDeacon »

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #80 on: August 10, 2012, 04:31:30 PM »
So I am suspicious that (most of) the guys who hate Trinity are not stating their real reason, which is they get their fun from taking undefended territory as part of a horde, instead of fights.  This is probably what some of them mean when they say that 400 players are "lost" on Trinity; i.e., that the undefended bases which they like to attack are hard to get to. 

MH
Good thing you didn't become a detective.

Offline Zoney

• Platinum Member
« Reply #81 on: August 10, 2012, 04:32:27 PM »
Nope....consider you a friend.

Cool,  :salute
Wag more, bark less.

Offline Scca

• Gold Member
« Reply #82 on: August 10, 2012, 04:33:53 PM »
Deacon, only a horde would be able to break through the mountains.  But then it would take a horde to keep it.
Flying as AkMeathd - CO Arabian Knights
Working on my bbs cred one post at a time

http://www.arabian-knights.org

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #83 on: August 10, 2012, 04:36:50 PM »
Good thing you didn't become a detective.

Fine; I was sloppy in writing up the second paragraph; remove the last sentence.

But seriously, how can you claim that 300-400 players are "lost" on the big maps.  Obviously one can find fights by following the dar bars.  So it's not that the opponents can't be found, and thus is probably something else.  We human beings frequently don't state our real reasons for our preferences, because often if we did, we would sound like idiots.  

MH
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 05:05:20 PM by TDeacon »

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #84 on: August 10, 2012, 04:40:08 PM »
Deacon, only a horde would be able to break through the mountains.  But then it would take a horde to keep it.

True.  But why do they always have to "break through the mountains"?  Just concentrate on the fights, and wait until the next map to sweep the whole thing in a day.  Or go the beachhead route, as in fact they do.  They capture plenty of bases that way; the only thing that is missing is "winning the war".  And then if they post about Trinity, and if their real beef is not being able to win the war, then the post should say so, and not have all this implausible stuff about not being able to find fights, not having the time to climb to 20K, too many players are using evil GVs, etc.    

MH
« Last Edit: August 10, 2012, 04:46:03 PM by TDeacon »

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: August 10, 2012, 05:23:33 PM »
<< hates trinity, hates hordes, doesnt give a crap about base-takes :)
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline TDeacon

• Silver Member
« Reply #86 on: August 10, 2012, 05:38:56 PM »

Offline LilMak

• Silver Member
« Reply #87 on: August 10, 2012, 05:43:15 PM »
My "beef" is not so much with the map itself as the frequency that we seem to stall out on it. It feels like there is a 70% chance I'm going to be playing on trinity every time I log on.
"When caught by the enemy in large force the best policy is to fight like hell until you can decide what to do next."
~Hub Zemke
P-47 pilot 56th Fighter Group.

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #88 on: August 10, 2012, 05:48:36 PM »
It goes all 7 days 99% of the time it seems. We got an extra few days this time though, great for those 4 guys that love this map.

It didn't make that much difference back when we had Titanic Tuesday. Now that you have to go the regulation 7 days it's a drag.

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Offline Slash27

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #89 on: August 10, 2012, 05:59:50 PM »
Fine; I was sloppy in writing up the second paragraph; remove the last sentence.

But seriously, how can you claim that 300-400 players are "lost" on the big maps.  Obviously one can find fights by following the dar bars.  So it's not that the opponents can't be found, and thus is probably something else.  We human beings frequently don't state our real reasons for our preferences, because often if we did, we would sound like idiots.  

MH
Where did I say anything about people being lost? The map is stale and boring.