Author Topic: 805 Squaderon Martlet III 1941 Weastern Desert  (Read 810 times)

Offline bustr

• Plutonium Member
805 Squaderon Martlet III 1941 Weastern Desert
« on: August 22, 2012, 06:18:14 PM »
You guys know about this? I cannot remember if the Wildcat or FM2 has ever been avilable in your early Med setups.

Grumman Martlet Mk III, 805 Sqn FAA, Western Desert, 1941.

In the aftermath of the disastrous Battle for Crete, 805 Squadron reformed on the Martlet III as part of the Western Desert RN Fighter squadron. Their fixed wing aircraft were part of a Greek order taken over after the fall of Greece and proved well suited to desert operations and convoy protection along the North African coast. Originally painted in light USN grey (the Greek order had been drawn directly from US Navy stocks), the Martlets were quickly camouflaged in desert stone and azure blue.

bustr - POTW 1st Wing

This is like the old joke that voters are harsher to their beer brewer if he has an outage, than their politicians after raising their taxes. Death and taxes are certain but, fun and sex is only now.

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
Re: 805 Squaderon Martlet III 1941 Weastern Desert
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 07:44:21 PM »
They've used them in early N Africa setups before. Usually based off CVs though.

The very first Fleet Air Arm F4Fs or Martlet MK Is did in fact come from A canceled French order. Followed closely by a canceled Greek order.
The French models which were known as G-36As had to have quite a few adjustments such as armament and even the throttles which worked in reverse.
Plus they used a Wright radial instead of a Pratt and Whitney.

The Greek versions were basically F4F-3s and named Martlett III
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 07:59:20 PM by Shifty »

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 09:24:28 PM »
That would be quite a surprise! Hey Shifty, hop in that G-35 and ferry it over to XXXX and the throttle operates backwards.  Could mess with a guy's head a bit.   :rolleyes:

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline Shifty

• Plutonium Member
      • 307th FS
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2012, 06:44:02 AM »
That would be quite a surprise! Hey Shifty, hop in that G-35 and ferry it over to XXXX and the throttle operates backwards.  Could mess with a guy's head a bit.   :rolleyes:

Isn't there a command when setting up your controlers where you can swap the XY axis? I guess I could try that if I get the call from Degual.. Qui?

JG-11"Black Hearts"...nur die Stolzen, nur die Starken

"Haji may have blown my legs off but I'm still a stud"~ SPC Thomas Vandeventer Delta1/5 1st CAV

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 10:23:42 AM »
Yeah, but not in the real world plane.

All gave some, Some gave all