Author Topic: New aircraft sounds  (Read 1211 times)

Offline Kestrel

• Zinc Member
New aircraft sounds
« on: September 14, 2012, 04:17:59 PM »
Hello
Haven't flown for a year or two, only played AH for a year or so prior to this (but had a few years on warbirds before that) ...however always keeping up to date on what's going on and regular reader of the bb. 
Anyway I've been making some sounds for all the piston engine planes (engine, start up, engine off and guns)... been tinkering with this for a while actually.
The engine sounds are a bit made up but are based on snippets of real aircraft sounds found on the internet, clipped bits of loopable snippets then mixed, blended, altered, stretched... you name it I've probably done it (sounds a bit like a recipe =¬)).   Bits of in-cockpit P40 (Alison V1710), external DB601 & 605, BMW801, Merlin, Sake etc etc etc.
I am happy to share these sounds but not sure how to go about it.  Any advice? (make it easy).

Offline Kestrel

• Zinc Member
Re: New aircraft sounds
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2012, 08:35:26 AM »
Ok worked it out...

Here is the Engine, Start, Stop and gun sounds for the German and Italian piston-engined planes: -

http://www.mediafire.com/file/0d0kdjrl39d1jgu/GermanItalian.zip

For info (if you're curious) The 109 engine sounds have been created using a fine blend of modified in-cockpit P40 sound and slightly modified external 109 sounds.  The C202 & C205 engines are a minor modification of the 109 sound to keep the same DB sound.  All other engines are pretty much based on this, with a few other tweaks.  Yeah... a bit made up but see what you think.  Feel free to comment  :salute

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
      • 39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 08:46:24 AM »
C205 engstart file is spelled "engstaff"

190 a series used bmw /152 and 190d and ju88 used jumo /storch used an argus

which don't sound like the Daimler

clear crisp sound though a nice start but a little more research will go a long way
TBs Sounds 
39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"NOSEART

Offline Kestrel

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 09:09:12 AM »
Thanks for the comments TwinBoom... and I'll correct the C205 engstart, thanks for pointing that out.  I do like your sounds but fancied trying to make some myself.
Yeah I do know which engines were used on each aircraft and altered the sound mix a bit for the jumo engined aircraft and tried to take into account where the engines were positioned, their max rpm etc.  but admittedly it's still a case of me just messing around with the sounds to get something I was reasonably happy with  :).  The BMW engines on the FW190A series are a different mix too.  I have snippets of BMW engine noise, Merlins, Griffins, Allisons and one or two P&W radials etc.   I have listened to loads of clips and youtube footage to see what engines sounded like but am aware that the engines sound quite different inside a cockpit and how they sound externally or on fly-bys.

So I've done the research ... just not necessarily applied it totally accurately  ;)

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
      • 39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2012, 09:14:35 AM »
No offense was meant just trying to help. Only trouble using internal sounds is when ur hear a flyby u only hear internal sound.
Try what i do blend an external sound with an internal sound and find the happy medium.
This is what we have to do until the sound file are expanded to separate external from internal.
And i admire ur passion to create sounds as i have this passion too for immersion and realism.

What sound Program are you using? and if you need help let me know .Tb 
TBs Sounds 
39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"NOSEART

Offline Kestrel

• Zinc Member
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2012, 09:58:57 AM »
Certainly no offence taken Twinboom  :), that's the problem with communicating via emails, texts etc.
I use a few programs but mainly stick to Audacity 1.3 and Ace of WAV.  Nothing sophisticated but generally do for what I need.   :salute

Offline Kestrel

• Zinc Member
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2012, 11:33:12 AM »

Corrected C205 EngineStart  (thanks to TwinBoom for pointing that out). Saved the updated GermanItalian sounds as .rar file (70% of the size of the .zip), if you have problems with this, let me know.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/834his3z8wox39d/GermanItalian.rar

...and here's my attempt for the homeland: -

http://www.mediafire.com/file/hcbabcq8musbi2p/British.rar

Wouldn't be surpised if there's an error in there somewhere too  :eek:.

NB: I mixed the sounds mainly for use with 5.1 speaker system and they may not be ideal for headphones.

NB: was neddyz in Warbirds and flew in Avalanche' then the brilliant Parrots... and then played briefly as fwulf in AH as Parrot then Loose Deuces.  :salute

Offline Kestrel

• Zinc Member
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2012, 02:45:51 PM »

Offline Kestrel

• Zinc Member
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2012, 03:06:25 PM »

Offline Kestrel

• Zinc Member
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2012, 04:13:55 PM »
USA_1 - F4F, F6, FM2, P38's, P39's, P40's, P47's, P51's

http://www.mediafire.com/file/xdl77wbtcus72v4/American_1.rar

:salute

Offline JOACH1M

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2012, 05:01:30 PM »
 :aok

Atleast your not stealing them like olds.
FEW ~ BK's ~ AoM
Focke Wulf Me / Last Of The GOATS 🐐
ToC 2013 & 2017 Champ
R.I.P My Brothers <3

Offline ALFAMEGA51

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2012, 09:09:01 PM »
Nice Kestrel  :aok
ID:ALFAMEGA/Kyle
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Undercover Jug pilot "My brick always flys wing"