Author Topic: A story I read in Fly Past...  (Read 405 times)

Offline Fud

• Nickel Member
A story I read in Fly Past...
« on: August 11, 2012, 04:11:50 PM »
This is from memory form a few years back. I went to Fly Past's site to look for the back issue and after 3 seconds I said phuey lol.
A P47 driver was on a strafing run and had to get on the deck due to flak. He was on his way out on the deck when a German soldier popped up out of his fox hole, stood up and took a step and froze as the 47 was headed straight for him!
  The pilot couldn't climb due to flak nor turn since his wing tips would have hit the ground. The pilot headed right for the soldier and expected a to hear and feel the thud of impact but nothing happened.
 Later, they did a study of what happened. The plane going 250 knots (or mph?) at 2500 RPM would create gaps between prop tips about 3 feet. So, if the props tips were to strike the ground, it would make marks every 3 feet.
 I guess the soldier taking that step forward ended up in that gap between prop "strikes".
If that soldier survived the war, would be an awesome story to tell his kids and grand kids.

If anyone remembers or has that issue to help with accuracy and add to the story would be great...
Enjoy <S> Fudmukkr
There are 10 kinds of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Offline smoe

• Silver Member
Re: A story I read in Fly Past...
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2012, 06:40:49 PM »
 :bolt: :airplane:

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2012, 08:29:16 PM »
I seem to remember a skyraider pilot who came over a rise NOE and running into NVA regulars who were doing morning formation.

A few got prop struck.

Offline SIM

• Nickel Member
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 10:23:25 AM »
I remember that article......will dig thru the archives

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 12:55:30 PM »
     Yeah I remember that article as well, unfortunately all my old Flypasts went away when I moved down to NC  :uhoh
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline SKJohn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 02:25:53 PM »
I remember reading that article as well - but I think it was in "Flight Journal" magazine.

Offline cpxxx

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2012, 05:55:11 AM »
Whether true or not it's plausible, it is after the principle which allows bullets to be fired through a propellor. There are gaps. Another story I read was of US Naval officer who was speaking someone near a trainer with it's engine running. When he finished he unthinkingly swung around and walked straight through the arc of the propellor. Then promptly fainted. What saved him was the fact that it was idling and it was a two blader.

Offline Fud

• Nickel Member
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2012, 11:02:43 AM »
I remember reading that article as well - but I think it was in "Flight Journal" magazine.

It may have been in FJ also, the story I read was in FP.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world; those who understand binary and those who don't.