Author Topic: P-36 anyone  (Read 12044 times)

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
Re: P-36 anyone
« Reply #45 on: August 17, 2012, 07:45:37 AM »
Well if we want to talk kills to amount of Hawks 75's and who was best with it, it would definitely be another American/Finnish plane as they saw the greatest success with it. 41 or so planes from Norway and France via Germany, achieving an un-bolstered 190 kills?  vs  285-400 planes of the French and 230 kills and as you say the French inflated their kills.

The French have their own planes that need representation.

Like I said, I'm not hung up on who built what but who flew what and how much action they saw. By my guestimate, the artwork for the Hawk is roughly 75% done with the P-40C vs. 0% of the domestic French fighters. And as French don't have any representation in AH's unit listing yet, Hawk would be a great way to get there with something that isn't as rescource intensive as a completely new aircraft. Hawk was the aircraft that had the most "battle value" of the planes French fielded in BoF. For example, as Finns soon found out, the Morane Saulnier was a nightmare to maintain and the 20mm Hispano HS404 was complete piece of garbage, it had no reliability to speak of. Hispano evolved into a great 20mm cannon but HS404 wasn't that yet. Hawk was rugged, reliable and relatively simple to maintain. These things aren't important in AH but those are part of the reason why Hawk was the best fighter what French had during BoF.

One author's view on the issue:

WMaker... Just for <G>'s which version of the Mohawk are you espousing, Keeping in mind that the later two never made it to France, 1 which could out turn and out fight the Ki-43, or the 900hp A-1... transparent? Also what are your thoughts on the Prototype Model 75B related to the B-239?

Only four 1200hp Cyclone-equipped Hawk75A-4 got to France before the armstice, so the natural choise would be A-3. The planes differed very little overall. There were small differences with armament (4 or 6 guns) and engine subvariants. They all were powerred with Twin Wasps from A-1 to A-3. The biggest performance difference would come from the fuel. 100 octane fuel made it possible to use Twin Wasp's wep-setting which would give 1200hp for 5mins on the deck instead of the 1050hp mil (see the chart I posted). I have no certain knowledge but I remember reading that 100 octane fuel never got to the Hawk units during BoF.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2012, 08:25:20 AM by Wmaker »
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Thank you for the Brewster HTC!

Offline Wildcat1

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: August 17, 2012, 07:30:51 PM »
+1 to the hawk.  Would be perfect for battle of France or continuation war scenarios.

Would the engine performance on the deck be comparable to the F4F?
having fun and getting killed since tour 110
The King of 'Cobras. 350th FG, Tunisia 2016

Air Traffic Controller (Air Warfare/Surface Warfare) 2nd Class, USS John C. Stennis CVN-74

Offline Eric19

• Nickel Member
« Reply #47 on: August 17, 2012, 07:52:09 PM »
probably pretty close wildcat but I'm not for sure
Proud member of the 91ST BG (H) The Ragged Irregulars

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2012, 03:37:32 AM »
Would the engine performance on the deck be comparable to the F4F?

Both had P&W Twin Wasp (Hawks A-1 - A-3) but they were different variants. Hawk's engine normally delivered that 1050hp vs. F4F's 1200hp at sea level. The biggest difference is in the supercharger. Hawk had a single-speed one while the F4F-4 had a two-speed unit. Ie. F4F-4 had a clearly more modern variant of the same basic engine as it became operational later.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 03:58:01 AM by Wmaker »
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #49 on: August 21, 2012, 03:51:17 PM »
     I think the P-36/Model 75 would make a great addition.  It makes the Francophiles and the Early War guys happy.  Nothing wrong
with that  :aok
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 03:57:55 PM by Rino »
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN
Proud veteran of the Cola Wars

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2012, 04:23:20 PM »
     I like it because it sounds good  :aok

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpJcxIBA26A

Interesting, it apparently had an inertial starter as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShRekbtRpU0
« Last Edit: August 21, 2012, 04:27:14 PM by Rino »
80th FS Headhunters
PHAN

Offline Eric19

• Nickel Member
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2012, 05:11:40 PM »
very cool vids

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #52 on: August 22, 2012, 05:16:10 AM »
Interesting, it apparently had an inertial starter as well.

The plane in the video has Wright Cyclone. Pratt equipped Hawks that had 12 volt electrical system had an electric starter in addition to the Eclipse inertia starter.

Some cockpit pics:

As can be seen, the cockpit is very close to that of the early P-40 variants and most differences are just cosmetic. Biggest differences to the AH P-40C for example are the lack of armored glass, different gunsight and smaller MG butts. At least to me it looks like that the cockpit is the most work intensive part of a new model and because of that and the fact that there are only cosmetic changes when it comes to the exterior model from firewall aft, I'd say that the Hawk is mostly done art-wise.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Offline Eric19

• Nickel Member
« Reply #53 on: August 22, 2012, 07:39:23 PM »
No doubt it does look like a p40 with a radial engine and a bit more elliptical wing and instead of 4 30s to six right maker??

Offline Rino

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #54 on: August 22, 2012, 08:05:31 PM »
     Thanks for the info on the different engines, seems like I have never seen them start before now.  It was either stopped or in flight
already.  What first attracted me to the Hawk were the temporary paintjobs for the 1940 wargames..wild stuff.

The P-40 should resemble the P-36, as I recall the P-40 was originally a P-36 with the Allison engine installed.

80th FS Headhunters
PHAN

Offline Hajo

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: August 22, 2012, 08:34:04 PM »
I'm sure the Brits used the Hawk early in the war before the US entered.  The Hawks were in theater in the Burma Rangoon

area the same time that the Flying Tigers were in China.

I'm all in with the Hawk as an addition.
- The Flying Circus -

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #56 on: August 23, 2012, 01:05:07 PM »
I'm sure the Brits used the Hawk early in the war before the US entered.  The Hawks were in theater in the Burma Rangoon

Yep they controlled about 750 or so Hawks sent to different locations. I believe the Poles received about 190 of them. This would make a great Polish entry into the game or Chinese.

The French only received about 300. These and the more prolific with more kills in the BOF, the Ms-406 were being replaced as fast as possible with the D.520.

They also had the Potez 630-637 at the beginning of the war and the Bloch 151-155. Only 2 which 1000 or more were produced being the Potez63 and the Ms.406

The Hawk should not be included as a french plane they have plenty of there own planes.

Potez 630-637

Bloch 151-155

MS-406

D-520

Bre. 693  

:cheers:

« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 01:10:34 PM by Megalodon »
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: August 23, 2012, 01:27:54 PM »
Yet again I am all in for inclusionn of  a new series of aircraft especially ones that so  many different countries used.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 01:30:42 PM by Nathan60 »
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline Wmaker

• Platinum Member
      • Lentolaivue 34 website
« Reply #58 on: August 23, 2012, 01:29:34 PM »
The Hawk should not be included as a french plane they have plenty of there own planes.

Why an earth not? By that logic Boston III wouldn't have British default markings. It's not like any plane that will be the first for French Air Force needs to be the last one. When it comes to aircraft that will be mostly used in Special Events, it doesn't matter who built what but who used what and how much. That way the benefit is maximised when it comes to having a representive plane set to again virtually fight the aireal battles that occurrred during WWII.

- There's no units under French currently.

- There are plenty of aircraft under RAF.

- There is a Brewster representing small Finnish Air Force.

I guess the Dutch could be one alternative but the Hawks saw so little action for the Dutch that France is much much more sensible choise.
Wmaker
Lentolaivue 34

Offline Megalodon

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: August 23, 2012, 03:02:31 PM »

- There is a Brewster representing small Finnish Air Force.

I guess the Dutch could be one alternative but the Hawks saw so little action for the Dutch that France is much much more sensible choise.
As there should be the Boomerang representing the small? RAAF

The French were capable of making there own aircraft and and made about 3 thousand fighters. I understand why you feel the way you do.

The Dutch, Chinese or Poles..... Good place for the Hawk make it all 3.

The French had 90 , A1 and A2 hawks ready to go on May 10 1940 that's it, but you want it to be the French entry into the game.

I do not think that is reasonable.
Okay..Add 2 Country's at once, Australia and France next plane update Add ...CAC Boomerang and the Dewoitine D.520