Author Topic: Empire Total War  (Read 2330 times)

Offline DaveJ

• Nickel Member
Re: Empire Total War
« Reply #30 on: September 04, 2012, 03:05:34 PM »
What difficulty setting were you on? If you aren't on high, the AI usually just comes directly at you/doesn't flank/ allows you to flank them quite easily.You're quality of troops were probably much better than the American's, also. I'm playing as Prussia right now, and I absolutely slaughter anyone I come up against because of superior technology and quality of my infantry.
~DaveyJ~
Jokers Jokers

Noseart

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: September 04, 2012, 03:35:47 PM »
Hmm, no mention of Shogun 2? How does Empire compare to Shogun 2? I only played Shogun 2 so Im curious.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: September 07, 2012, 01:40:35 PM »
Hmm, no mention of Shogun 2? How does Empire compare to Shogun 2? I only played Shogun 2 so Im curious.
personally, the original shogun and rome were great. medieval, medieval2 kinda sucked. never played shogun2 or napoleon. empire is looking like a great cross between civ4 and rome.
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2012, 01:35:58 PM »
Napoleon is a great game as far as combat goes.  The artillery is MUCH more effective, and I love the sounds that arent present in empire, i.e. marching drums and music when your units are moving.  The only real downside is the lack of a grand campaign.

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2012, 03:42:31 PM »
ok now i have another freakin problem.  Empire crashes at launch every time.  I have the civil war mod and it runs fine.  Is there a problem with having the mod and trying to run regular Empire?

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2012, 04:14:19 PM »
You have to return ETW to Vanilla settings.

When you close down ACW. You need to select "Vanilla Ready" to reset the packs to Empire's.
DaPacman - 71 Squadron RAF

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2012, 07:29:07 PM »

When you close down ACW. You need to select "Vanilla Ready" to reset the packs to Empire's.

I thought I had tried that, guess not  :bhead  Its working now  :cheers:

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline skittish

• Zinc Member
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2012, 09:40:47 PM »
Just saw this thread I started with Empire/Napoleon two months before Shogun came out. Played Empire for awhile got frustrated with naval combat but got the hang of ground warfare by using terrain, Sun Tzu tactics etc.. Wanted to take my novice skills online but everyone was playing Shogun so I got that. Got my but handed to me at times but also whooped some but.  Got called names, a cheat and dirty player.  Got sick of that. Got Fall of the Samurai later tried online again same thing. I had one match where I had hidden units that marched behind him while my main force marched towards him double envelopment. Just complained and pulled the plug. I was called a camper once but I had two forces split up medium army and I was moving around not sure why he called me that when I did everything to flank him and keep the fight on my terms. That was the last time I was online.

Went back to Empire recently and finally figured out how to do naval combat.  That was a moral victory. I stayed with it and figured it out. I can now do large engagements with class 3 ships of the line.  I wished I knew about this game when it was popular I would have liked to try my skills against someone. Also I know just like this game there are people who complain when things don't go there way. However with Total War I haven't gone out of my way to find a group of guys to guide me. AH is a different community where that's possible.

I haven't checked out the Civil War mod but may check it out after I complete my Austrian long war campaign.

VMF-222

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #38 on: September 08, 2012, 11:31:24 PM »
Just saw this thread I started with Empire/Napoleon two months before Shogun came out. Played Empire for awhile got frustrated with naval combat but got the hang of ground warfare by using terrain, Sun Tzu tactics etc.. Wanted to take my novice skills online but everyone was playing Shogun so I got that. Got my but handed to me at times but also whooped some but.  Got called names, a cheat and dirty player.  Got sick of that. Got Fall of the Samurai later tried online again same thing. I had one match where I had hidden units that marched behind him while my main force marched towards him double envelopment. Just complained and pulled the plug. I was called a camper once but I had two forces split up medium army and I was moving around not sure why he called me that when I did everything to flank him and keep the fight on my terms. That was the last time I was online.

Went back to Empire recently and finally figured out how to do naval combat.  That was a moral victory. I stayed with it and figured it out. I can now do large engagements with class 3 ships of the line.  I wished I knew about this game when it was popular I would have liked to try my skills against someone. Also I know just like this game there are people who complain when things don't go there way. However with Total War I haven't gone out of my way to find a group of guys to guide me. AH is a different community where that's possible.

I haven't checked out the Civil War mod but may check it out after I complete my Austrian long war campaign.

Empire Total War had a much steeper learning curve than the others IMHO as a result of all the different aspects of the main part of the game (not combat), economics ect.  I would definently give the Civil War mod a try once you play through the grand campaign a few times.  The civil war requires a whole new set of tactics.  I learned that the side with the most effective artillery usually has a huge advantage, where in total war the artillery is just kind of hit and miss at best.

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.

Offline skittish

• Zinc Member
« Reply #39 on: September 09, 2012, 12:57:25 AM »

Before I go and download the Civil War mod Could you explain closing down ACW to restore  ETW to Vanilla settings.

ETW = Empire Total War
ACW?

Whats involved
VMF-222

Offline Plawranc

• Gold Member
      • Youtube Channel
« Reply #40 on: September 09, 2012, 05:32:23 AM »
Real easy Skittish.

Hit the "Vanilla Ready" button as soon as your done with ACW and it should work perfectly.  It should appear automatically as you close ACW.
DaPacman - 71 Squadron RAF

"There are only two things that make life worth living. Fornication and Aviation"

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #41 on: September 09, 2012, 05:40:01 PM »
personally, the original shogun and rome were great. medieval, medieval2 kinda sucked. never played shogun2 or napoleon. empire is looking like a great cross between civ4 and rome.

Shogun 2 is sweet. Fall of the Samurai turns it into more or less the U.S. Civil War. Same tactics.
The AI is meh, but it's not terrible. It's fun to have a unique army. I personally had an entire army of no-dachi samurais (THE glass cannons of Shogun 2), and had some pretty awesome fights. One of them included a 1000+ charge vs 300 or 400 matchlocks. Painful to watch but oh so fun to see the matchlocks getting geared to bits in melee.

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Treize69

• Platinum Member
      • http://grupul7vanatoare.homestead.com/Startpage.html
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2012, 11:15:47 PM »
Before I go and download the Civil War mod Could you explain closing down ACW to restore  ETW to Vanilla settings.

ETW = Empire Total War
ACW?

Whats involved

ACW = American Civil War
Treize (pronounced 'trays')- because 'Treisprezece' is too long and even harder to pronounce.

Moartea bolșevicilor.

Offline skittish

• Zinc Member
« Reply #43 on: September 14, 2012, 09:09:42 PM »
ACW = American Civil War

I figured it out while downloading it felt a little more dumb then normal. :lol

I played it it worked great. Turned my computer off went back both games crashed couldn't figure it out. I reinstalled Empire. Worked fine. Turned my computer off same thing. I did some thinking rebooted my computer logged on to steam then ACW worked fine. Don't know much about steam but I guess letting ACW connect to steam causes some sort of crash. I was under the impression that ACW is an approved mod and that wouldn't happen or am I missing something.
VMF-222

Offline branch37

• Silver Member
      • VF-17 Jolly Rogers
« Reply #44 on: September 15, 2012, 12:02:27 AM »
Thats weird.  Ive had maybe 2 crashes since I installed and its working fine. 

On the other hand, its Summer 1865 and the Union is holding on desperatley to a stronghold near Falmouth, Maine.  Its only a matter of time.  Mexico has, for some odd reason, declared war and invaded Texas.  the invasion was repelled and I now control Mexico City.

CMDR Branch37
VF-17 Jolly Rogers  C.O.