Author Topic: Cars that went from Zero to Hero and then gone.  (Read 5070 times)

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
Re: Cars that went from Zero to Hero and then gone.
« Reply #60 on: August 25, 2012, 07:45:34 AM »
well here's what i can say on that.......stock to stock, my 83 or 89 never saw the back end of one of those. nor did my boss's or friends corvettes or camaros. the numbers above that i posted also don't line up with what you're saying. i'm thinking you were talking modified to stock to be honest, as also having driven them, i was able to understand why. working on any of them, from the basic to the higher end, pretty much made me hate em, although the 2.2 and 2.5 timing belts were pretty easy.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: August 25, 2012, 09:56:23 AM »
Jockriding the mustang has blinded CAP.

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #62 on: August 25, 2012, 10:07:46 AM »
not at all. here's the camaro's times.

1983 Chevrolet Camaro   0-60 mph 9.4   Quarter mile 17.3

1983 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 H.O.   0-60 mph 6.6   Quarter mile 14.8

1984 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta   0-60 mph 9.2   Quarter mile 16.8

1985 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta   0-60 mph 9.9   Quarter mile 17.0

1985 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z28   0-60 mph 6.9   Quarter mile 15.0

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z   0-60 mph 6.5   Quarter mile 14.7

1987 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z L98   0-60 mph 6.7   Quarter mile 15.1

1988 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z   0-60 mph 6.9   Quarter mile 15.3

1990 Chevrolet Camaro IROC-Z   0-60 mph 5.7   Quarter mile 14.2

what has blinded me is the reality of what i experienced.  :aok

now on that note, a co-workers 87 iroc only ran high 15's.
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline Widewing

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: August 25, 2012, 10:09:34 AM »
well here's what i can say on that.......stock to stock, my 83 or 89 never saw the back end of one of those. nor did my boss's or friends corvettes or camaros. the numbers above that i posted also don't line up with what you're saying. i'm thinking you were talking modified to stock to be honest, as also having driven them, i was able to understand why. working on any of them, from the basic to the higher end, pretty much made me hate em, although the 2.2 and 2.5 timing belts were pretty easy.

Inasmuch as only 500 of the GLHS were built, I'd very much doubt that you ever saw one on the street. Most were sold in California and in the New York tri-state area. There were plenty of the GLH Turbos, but those were far less capable than the GLHS. I saw you posted 0-60 of 8.0 seconds for the GLH Turbo. However, that's way too slow. Typically, 7.3 to 7.6 seconds was where that little car ran. I'm thinking that you are confusing the GLH Turbo with the GLHS. The GLHS came in black only and was a much different beast than the common GLH Turbo.

My GLHS was very quick bone stock, and engineered to out-handle just about anything on the street. I was able to obtain a Turbo III set-up from a wrecked R/T (brand new car, had only 2,200 miles on it when run over by an oil delivery truck) and we transplanted it into the GLHS over the winter of 1990/91. A Stock Spirit R/T could run 0-60 mph in 5.8 seconds, according to an October 1990 Car and Driver road test. Now, put that engine and transaxle into a car weighing 900 lbs less and you can imagine that it was pretty dang quick. That transplant was not simple... Like any other engine swap, things you believed would fit, didn't. Wiring changes and motor mount adapters had to be fabricated. Many other details had to be addressed. In all, it took almost 5 months of evenings and weekends to get the GLHS on the road. In succeeding years, I added an aftermarket Shelby logic module, adjustable boost regulator, adjustable wastegate bleed and much more later. The stock Turbo III engine made 224/225 hp. It ran great on premium fuel, but required Sunoco 260 if I dialed up more boost. Custom blend race fuel if I really cranked it up. I replaced the factory Centurion wheels with American Racing wheels and bigger rubber. Head gaskets frequently failed with increased boost. Turbos would blow seals and become external oil pumps. When that happened, it looked like a mosquito control vehicle.

If you look, you may find one today. But most have been modified and many wrecked. Still, it's a great project car that will offer great performance for very little investment.
My regards,

Widewing

YGBSM. Retired Member of Aces High Trainer Corps, Past President of the DFC, retired from flying as Tredlite.

Offline RngFndr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #64 on: August 25, 2012, 10:21:39 AM »
Inasmuch as only 500 of the GLHS were built, I'd very much doubt that you ever saw one on the street. Most were sold in California and in the New York tri-state area. There were plenty of the GLH Turbos, but those were far less capable than the GLHS. I saw you posted 0-60 of 8.0 seconds for the GLH Turbo. However, that's way too slow. Typically, 7.3 to 7.6 seconds was where that little car ran. I'm thinking that you are confusing the GLH Turbo with the GLHS. The GLHS came in black only and was a much different beast than the common GLH Turbo.

My GLHS was very quick bone stock, and engineered to out-handle just about anything on the street. I was able to obtain a Turbo III set-up from a wrecked R/T (brand new car, had only 2,200 miles on it when run over by an oil delivery truck) and we transplanted it into the GLHS over the winter of 1990/91. A Stock Spirit R/T could run 0-60 mph in 5.8 seconds, according to an October 1990 Car and Driver road test. Now, put that engine and transaxle into a car weighing 900 lbs less and you can imagine that it was pretty dang quick. That transplant was not simple... Like any other engine swap, things you believed would fit, didn't. Wiring changes and motor mount adapters had to be fabricated. Many other details had to be addressed. In all, it took almost 5 months of evenings and weekends to get the GLHS on the road. In succeeding years, I added an aftermarket Shelby logic module, adjustable boost regulator, adjustable wastegate bleed and much more later. The stock Turbo III engine made 224/225 hp. It ran great on premium fuel, but required Sunoco 260 if I dialed up more boost. Custom blend race fuel if I really cranked it up. I replaced the factory Centurion wheels with American Racing wheels and bigger rubber. Head gaskets frequently failed with increased boost. Turbos would blow seals and become external oil pumps. When that happened, it looked like a mosquito control vehicle.

If you look, you may find one today. But most have been modified and many wrecked. Still, it's a great project car that will offer great performance for very little investment.

I know they were pretty quick cars.. Not our style, so were just inventory to us..
Agree with CAP about working on them.. Kinda poisoned me on the whole Chrysler
brand.. From Omni's on, to the whole line up.. I called them "All wrench cars", because
it took every wrench in your toolbox to work on them.. SAE, Asian Euro and US Metric,
all rolled in one.. Between the Omnis and Daytonas to the K Cars, I just loathed them..
Made a lot of money off them tho..

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: August 25, 2012, 11:36:06 AM »
If you want a mustang vs camaro vs all other cars pssing contest, you can author a thread but beware people with more experience than you.

Compare the 1986 GLH-S stats to a 1986 mustang or camaro.......or better yet, compare the mustangs and camaros of 1981 to the 280zx turbo which pulled off 15.1 quarter mile for the only magazine saavy enough to braketorque it before the launch.

I'm staying on american market cars made in america and there are more than a few left that qualify for the thread title.

Even the GLH had big press which kind of excludes it.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 11:44:11 AM by icepac »

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #66 on: August 25, 2012, 11:55:58 AM »
I know they were pretty quick cars.. Not our style, so were just inventory to us..
Agree with CAP about working on them.. Kinda poisoned me on the whole Chrysler
brand.. From Omni's on, to the whole line up.. I called them "All wrench cars", because
it took every wrench in your toolbox to work on them.. SAE, Asian Euro and US Metric,
all rolled in one.. Between the Omnis and Daytonas to the K Cars, I just loathed them..
Made a lot of money off them tho..

Remember the carburated ones?  :uhoh
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: August 25, 2012, 12:06:37 PM »
Oldsmobile Quad 442 is another one that slipped under the radar.....unless you raced in Firehawk or IMSA's where you had to watch them rack up 3 manufacturers championships with the first being in 1989.

This car came with a 190hp (w41) quad 4 engine that later was modified to put down enough horsepower to power A.J. Foyt in the Aerotech to 260mph.

Like many high strung engines of the time (1989) they had huge issues with longeivity in the form of head gasket failures which caused cracking after they overheated and oil pump issues that affected the timing chain rails and tensioners much like in the 240sx and nissan stanza.

Cool car and still competitive in SCCA's Improved touring classes but rare even there.

Here's the car that used the engine to take some speed records over 250mph.

And the engine......this is the 900hp version made by batten while there was a 1000hp version by Feuling engineering (correct spelling).....same guys who made a high quench head for the big block chevy that made over 700hp on 89 octane gasoline.

I'm running out of obscure optioned cars that got no love when they were new so it's either going on to include foreign makes as sold in US market or going pre-1970s.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 01:25:18 PM by icepac »

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #68 on: August 25, 2012, 12:56:02 PM »
Oldsmobile Quad 442 is another one that slipped under the radar.....unless you raced in Firehawk or IMSA's where you had to watch them rack up 3 manufacturers championships with the first being in 1989.

This car came with a 190hp (w41) quad 4 engine that later was modified to put down enough horsepower to power A.J. Foyt in the Aerotech to 260mph.

(Image removed from quote.)

Like many high strung engines of the time (1989) they had huge issues with longeivity in the form of head gasket failures which caused cracking after they overheated and oil pump issues that affected the timing chain rails and tensioners much like in the 240sx and nissan stanza.

(Image removed from quote.)

Cool car and still competitive in SCCA's Improved touring classes but rare even there.

I'm running out of obscure optioned cars that got no love when they were new so it's either going on to include foreign makes as sold in US market or going pre-1970s.

YA KNOW? i always hated working on those engines, but the fact is that in my experience, they've always been super reliable. i never hesitate to tell a customer it's ok to buy one of those.......
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: August 25, 2012, 01:05:52 PM »
I was a technician at Brown Pontiac Subaru Nissan and hired as a Subaru technician.

When we ran out of subaru and nissan work, I was kept busy fixing the quad 4s.

At the dealership level you saw the issues that might not make it to the aftermarket.

Online Volron

• Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: August 25, 2012, 10:15:26 PM »
My Wife's current auto cravings are the Aston Martin V8 Vantage S Coupe, the Ferrari FF, the Maserati GranTurismo S, or the Bentley Continental GT Speed.

I need a couple more jobs.

You know it would probably be easier to get a new wife. :D
Quote from: hitech
Wow I find it hard to believe it has been almost 38 days since our last path. We should have release another 38 versions by now  :bhead
HiTech
Quote from: Pyro
Quote from: Jolly
What on Earth makes you think that i said that sir?!
My guess would be scotch.

Offline Scherf

• Gold Member
« Reply #71 on: August 25, 2012, 10:35:37 PM »
Prettiest car ever, one season only.

Thank you, Gordon Murray.
... missions were to be met by the commitment of alerted swarms of fighters, composed of Me 109's and Fw 190's, that were strategically based to protect industrial installations. The inferior capabilities of these fighters against the Mosquitoes made this a hopeless and uneconomical effort. 1.JD KTB

Offline SoonerMP

• Nickel Member
« Reply #72 on: August 25, 2012, 10:45:09 PM »
I had a '77 Jeep Wagoneer. The only problems with it were the GM engine and transmission.

My first one was a 1978 Jeep Cherokee Chief. Basically a shorter length 2 door model of the Wagoneer. My grandparents bought it new in '78 and gave it to me when I turned 16, needless to say I was shocked. That thing had the 360 V8 with full time 4WD. Yellow with black lettering, tan Levi's denim interior with the same buttons that came on the jeans and a beefed up solid steel bar brush guard grandpa had installed. Before I had it she was only driven in the winter when they left their house up on "the mountain". Sadly, salt corrosion took a toll on it and I only noticed after I had her for a little while. But, being that young and having that much power on hand was a great experience.  Oh my god I loved that vehicle.

S.A.P.P. Secret Association of P-38 Pilots

Blame Karaya 2008-2012       Death From Above - MA (inactive)

Offline rpm

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2012, 03:07:42 AM »
I bought mine (well) used from a ranch in South Texas. It was 6 years old and looked in decent shape but the 401 had got hot before they sold it and it was a nightmare. If I wasn't having engine problems it was the Turbo400 Quadratrack. I had the transmission rebuilt 3 times before I sold it.
My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.
Stay thirsty my friends.

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #74 on: August 26, 2012, 11:13:14 AM »
I forgot about a special edition Gremlin that was supported by AMC brass to compete against Yenko and Shelby cars.

Car magazines pulled 13.9 quarter miles in this car.