Author Topic: F4U turn performance, flaps, the real plane, etc (discussion)  (Read 22991 times)

Offline bcadoo

• Nickel Member
Re: F4U turn performance, flaps, the real plane, etc (discussion)
« Reply #75 on: September 13, 2012, 02:04:11 PM »

I have only ever sent in two films.

Both "dog" and "ice", who were the stars of each film were later banned at warbirds.

If you ever get a film from me, it will be pretty obvious something is wrong.

Can we get the g loading and plane weight displayed for our own plane in the film?

I would prefer to see 'Total Energy' calculated by combining the kinetic energy of the aircraft with the potential energy. 
The fight is the fun........Don't run from the fun!
"Nothin' cuts the taste of clam juice like a big hunk o' chocolate" - Rosie O'Donnell

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #76 on: September 13, 2012, 03:04:31 PM »
I pulled off some weird as hell nose up stall in a 2 v 1 the other day with a K4. From my cockpit, it was like I literally pointed the nose up, did mutiple 360s in a spin, and dropped back down on the guy chasing me. The whole thing was maybe 5 seconds and both me and the other guy was baffled. I'll post the film once I get home.

I had around 50 fuel, going 200mph and about 200ft off the ground.

Reviewing my own film again, it turns out I pulled off a semi tailside/hammerhead. Either way, it was pretty cool watching. 50% accidental. Oh, and ignore the 200 banter.  :D

http://www.mediafire.com/?440rw8dxrhaiu3g

Fight starts at 14:00. If you watch it from the cockpit view with my recorded views, you'll see why I was surprised.
And to stay on topic, is this do-able in real life?  :headscratch:

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline coombz

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #77 on: September 13, 2012, 03:44:11 PM »
Saw a new one last night. K4 with full flaps out behind my ponyD with full flaps just above falling out of the sky, comes to what looks like a full stop. Then suddenly point it's nose straight up with full flaps out and I guess uses WEP to climb straight up with full flaps out. Soppose from his client viewpoint he was avoiding colliding with my rear. It was probably the internet but, one moment the K4 came to almost a dead stand still. Then the next moment it's nose pivots 90 degrees vertical and climbs straight up like a helecopter with it's flaps full out.

Guess I witnessed a secret weapon of the Luft......... :)

A BfHarrier.......... :noid

seen some odd things like that recently myself, but it was a guy playing on what was evidently a very laggy connection
Did you see my dad on dogfights yet?
I'll be seeing you face to face possibly next month.

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #78 on: September 13, 2012, 04:28:37 PM »
In film viewer, can we get get "g loading" and "plane weight" included in the two blank columns right next to the displays for speed and altitude?

It would go a long way toward understanding what really happened the your filmed sortie you are watching while also quelling many a cheating accusation.

These people accepting they sucked might go a long way to quelling cheating accusations, even watching the speeds in their own video would be helpful, but its not about finding out what went wrong, its about moving blame for their failure somewhere else. Watching the film would just prove they sucked and they would have to look for another excuse.

All the tools to find out what happened in your fight are in the film viewer already.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2012, 04:36:45 PM by pervert »

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #79 on: September 13, 2012, 05:05:33 PM »
These people accepting they sucked might go a long way to quelling cheating accusations, even watching the speeds in their own video would be helpful, but its not about finding out what went wrong, its about moving blame for their failure somewhere else. Watching the film would just prove they sucked and they would have to look for another excuse.

All the tools to find out what happened in your fight are in the film viewer already.

(Image removed from quote.)

(Image removed from quote.)

The A5 is just toooo fun   :rofl  :lol  :aok  :banana:  :airplane:  :cheers:
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Big Rat

• AH Training Corps
  • Silver Member
« Reply #80 on: September 13, 2012, 05:43:10 PM »
LOL Pervert :lol.  When you get those you know you're good with an aircraft :aok.   By the way I haven't seen you in the TA with a 190 lately, good energy fighting practice.

:salute
BigRat
When you think the fight might be going bad, it already has.
Becoming one with the Hog, is to become one with Greatness, VF-17 XO & training officer BigRat

Offline pervert

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #81 on: September 15, 2012, 03:23:10 AM »
LOL Pervert :lol.  When you get those you know you're good with an aircraft :aok.   By the way I haven't seen you in the TA with a 190 lately, good energy fighting practice.

:salute
BigRat

I think its more sour grapes and others being ridiculously bad than me being good tbh!  :rofl Haven't had the time lately mate miss messing around with yourself Morp and the other guys though was always relaxing and good fun!  :salute

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #82 on: September 15, 2012, 04:02:23 AM »
 :rofl :rofl :rofl

oh my word....the ignorance is powerful in that one :rofl :rofl

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #83 on: September 19, 2012, 01:40:15 PM »
Talked to a friend of mine yesterday, he is co-owner of a -5 and flies a -4 and FG-1D amongst other warbirds.  Anyways, we got to talking about the performance of the Corsair when it was low and slow and he said that the aircraft is very responsive even with it's flaps fully deployed and down around 80.  The kicker though is that he does not like to "explore" to much of the envelope at that speed because the departure is so abrupt and usually ends up with you on your back if you stall it.  That said, I brought up the question here, and he pointed out the one thing I have said before and what several have said here, "You only have one life and one bird in the real world".  That answer sums it up.

He went on to summarize the amount of times people come up at airshows and ask these types of questions regarding performance and why there is a lack of data on subjects like extreme slow speed performance.  He said it is a really simple set of answers that he gives: a: it's super freaking dangerous, especially in an aircraft where intentional stalls are prohibited, b: most guys did not like to slow up in combat as it gave the japanese a chance and that they preferred methods of slashing attacks were preferred, and c: the reality that if you screw up, you will die, is a far better motivator to not do stupid things in combat like go slow and turn with aircraft designed to do such.

Just thought I'd add this since Krusty said that cartoon lives and no real death was not really a factor in why people take more chances in here.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline ALFAMEGA51

• Silver Member
« Reply #84 on: September 19, 2012, 03:11:25 PM »
Thanks for posting that Bodhi, i wouldnt want to be down around 80 mph  on the verge of a stall if i were behind the controls either hehe  :cheers:
ID:ALFAMEGA/Kyle
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Undercover Jug pilot "My brick always flys wing"

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #85 on: September 19, 2012, 03:38:05 PM »
...performance of the Corsair when it was low and slow and he said that the aircraft is very responsive even with it's flaps fully deployed and down around 80.  The kicker though is that he does not like to "explore" to much of the envelope at that speed because the departure is so abrupt and usually ends up with you on your back if you stall it.  That said,...

'That said'? Hold the phone a mo, he just confirmed the departure characteristics in the training films on Dozer's YouTube channel didn't he?

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #86 on: September 20, 2012, 03:11:53 PM »
I've got back in game and have had a few unrecoverable stalls at low speeds, yall aren't pushing it. Would stick scaling have anything to do with not getting the sudden stalls? I'm not familiar with how that works but i have all my sliders at the top like mtnman does and i know it was like learn to fly without the stall limiter for awhile.

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #87 on: September 23, 2012, 06:34:33 AM »
Thats good stuff Pervert.  Haha.  Some folks need to play a bit longer and realize the you in a 190 will always be a tough fight, no matter what the other guy is in. 

Question for Hitech... do all airplanes have the same amount of control deflection, or do you use the "recommended throw?"
If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #88 on: September 23, 2012, 12:27:49 PM »
Thats good stuff Pervert.  Haha.  Some folks need to play a bit longer and realize the you in a 190 will always be a tough fight, no matter what the other guy is in. 

Question for Hitech... do all airplanes have the same amount of control deflection, or do you use the "recommended throw?"

:rofl :rofl

not

Offline dirtdart

• Silver Member
« Reply #89 on: September 23, 2012, 12:41:18 PM »
And Ink reaches back and casts.....

I know Pervert sucks in a 190 the way Ink sucks in the 84.  :neener:

You only have 7 3/4 months till my sentence is up and I get back into the game.  Dammit the withdraw sucks... never gets better.

If you are not GFC...you are wee!
Put on your boots boots boots...and parachutes..chutes...chutes.. .
Illigitimus non carborundum