Author Topic: Dr. Who  (Read 572 times)

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
Re: Dr. Who
« Reply #30 on: September 02, 2012, 09:00:49 PM »
they kilt a lot of germans in 1941 england.  :aok

That episode was completely ruined for me by Churchill having a landline able to reach the Tardis across time and countless light years with absolutely no signal lag, and by the spitfires flying around inside little bubbles of air through space, which would be physically impossible (you can't blow your own sail on a sail boat).
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #31 on: September 02, 2012, 10:06:36 PM »
That episode was completely ruined for me by Churchill having a landline able to reach the Tardis across time and countless light years with absolutely no signal lag, and by the spitfires flying around inside little bubbles of air through space, which would be physically impossible (you can't blow your own sail on a sail boat).

that' why it's called science fiction.  :aok

don't forget that churchill also tried calling the doctor in the pandorica. somehow he ended up talking to river.

speaking of whom.....you know why she's in prison?
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2012, 05:17:32 AM »

Not unlike alien motherships getting a virus from a mac? Or ...U-571 being capture by amerikans?

Offline RTHolmes

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2012, 07:20:47 AM »

:aok
71 (Eagle) Squadron

What most of us want to do is simply shoot stuff and look good doing it - Chilli

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2012, 07:43:20 AM »

Sure you can...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKXMTzMQWjo

If you can't blow your own sail then thrust-reverses on jet engines wouldn't work either, and they clearly do.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2012, 07:46:05 AM by GScholz »
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2012, 04:48:24 PM »
Sure you can...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKXMTzMQWjo

If you can't blow your own sail then thrust-reverses on jet engines wouldn't work either, and they clearly do.

No, you cannot blow your own sail. Its in direct conflict with newtonian physics. If you try to blow your sail from inside of the boat, there will be a force equal to that hitting the sail, but in the opposite direction. The two forces cancel out, and so you go nowhere.

However, you can propel yourself using a sail and a fan, but only because some of the thrust from the fan bounces back off the sail and pushes you forward.

In other words, you CAN use a sail and fan to propel yourself forward, but you still cannot blow your own sail.

And let me be clear, the issue I have with that episode isn't that Winston talked with the doctor, or that the spitfires were flying in space, but that winston just picked up his telephone and is able to call the Doctor with no explaination of how he does it. And that they made no attempt to explain how the spitfires are defying the laws of physics.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2012, 05:17:54 PM »

And that they made no attempt to explain how the spitfires are defying the laws of physics.

the producers obviously play AH alot and use my methods!     :lol

and I believe they had Dalek anti gravity technology!     I still wants one,    pew pew pew!   take that Hitler!  
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2012, 05:23:28 PM »

No, you cannot blow your own sail. Its in direct conflict with newtonian physics. If you try to blow your sail from inside of the boat, there will be a force equal to that hitting the sail, but in the opposite direction. The two forces cancel out, and so you go nowhere.

What's important is not "forces and forces cancelling out". What's important is the direction in which most of the air flows when it's finished interacting with the fan and the sail. You need to treat the boat, sail and "blower" as a closed system; the only forces that will make the boat move is the forces escaping that system. The sail does not capture all the air you blow, it deflects it. It's just Newton III at work, as usual; action and reaction.

The thrust reversers on jet engines operate on a similar principle. The thrust is reflected forward by the reversers to produce a braking effect on an aircraft.
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2012, 08:51:54 PM »
Can you ever just let people like things that you don't Shuffler, or do you always have to have something negative to say instead of, I dunno, just closing the thread without commenting or not clicking on it if you know from the title that it's something you don't like?

FFS, is your life that miserable that you have to spend all of your time lurking around the forums, looking for a chance to complain about everything that you don't like? Do you even actually play the game, because for years all I've seen you do is complain and gripe on the forums.

Get a damn life.

Your opinion doesn't count after the poor way you left the 80th. Everyone was shocked at your poor behavior and wrote it off a drugs. In fact you are not much of anything worth saving. Now shutup and go change your diaper.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)