Author Topic: Operation Market Garden  (Read 6498 times)

Offline ALFAMEGA51

• Silver Member
Re: Operation Market Garden
« Reply #90 on: September 08, 2012, 11:46:40 AM »
They are on my feet, calf high and white  :) would you like some of these athletic socks?  :)

They will make you +10 anywhere you go in public  :old:
ID:ALFAMEGA/Kyle
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Undercover Jug pilot "My brick always flys wing"

Offline Captain Virgil Hilts

• Platinum Member
« Reply #91 on: September 08, 2012, 11:57:48 AM »
I wasn't talking about your credibility with me but here on these forums. You have shown to be wrong once already and instead of accepting that or retracting that you go further and in fact reveal some form of personal bias.

By your description 'the likes of you' do you mean that I am not qualified or equal to you to ask you to justify your statement? Why, am I inferior in some way? Is it not a reasonable request following your statement?

I have no worries about my credibility on these forums. It is your opinion that I have been shown to be wrong. What was shown is that "Band of Brothers" is not a perfect documentary. Of course, the problem with that is that no one, myself included, ever claimed it was.

You seem to have this belief that you are in some sort of position to demand "respect" from Americans while you look down your nose at them. It seems to be a common theme among Europeans in general, and the British in particular. Good luck with that.
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #92 on: September 08, 2012, 12:01:50 PM »
 :rofl

Ignore this bloke Shida, he burnt his toast this morning thats all :)

Pies are better than toast :old:

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline RngFndr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #93 on: September 08, 2012, 12:45:59 PM »
'Band of Brothers' is a fictional dramatisation loosely based on factual events, not a documentary. You can verify this easily. Even if this anecdote is absolutely true and unaltered (and somehow I doubt that), how does it generalise to make a commentary about the British Army or the British people as a whole? You look for evidence to support your prejudice and furthermore seem very easily satisfied.

I agree with Zack, that you can be so disrespectful to a national hero of one of your most steadfast and reliable allies is beyond my comprehension and certainly beyond good taste and common decency.

:neener:

:rofl :rofl :rofl

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #94 on: September 08, 2012, 12:49:23 PM »
 :)

The GFC

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
« Reply #95 on: September 08, 2012, 12:50:59 PM »
You seem to have this belief that you are in some sort of position to demand "respect" from Americans while you look down your nose at them. It seems to be a common theme among Europeans in general, and the British in particular. Good luck with that.

Every country is the same, its not the country itself its just certain people. I've lived in Europe and England, nobody "looks down on Americans" in general. I have my own opinions on Europe but nothing bad, except for French in Paris - goto normandy and the folks are lovely, Paris however are bunch of aholes.

I was only there for a week and its only my opinion - pretty sure someone else would laugh and say otherwise - but as for it i'd never visit france again. England however? I had the most enjoyment. Funny how Brits think american's "Don't know" soccer and try to educate.. was funny when I got to see Man united and could name all the players on the field, only mistake was wearing an "away" jersey to a home game - oops I took some words for it :)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 12:52:51 PM by Butcher »
JG 52

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #96 on: September 08, 2012, 01:08:37 PM »
Your wrong Butcher that Captain Chaos bloke is right the British are a absolute shower :old:

The GFC

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #97 on: September 08, 2012, 01:27:33 PM »

Demand is your word, your interpretation and a product, I suggest, of your now abundantly obvious and unfounded prejudice towards Europeans and especially the British.

I have demanded no such thing. I aspire to be treated equally even if I am not an American. I am not so unintelligent to identify this as anything other than an aspiration. I remind you that you chose not to treat me equally when you began referring to me in a derogatory fashion as 'the likes of you'. I asked you to qualify your statement, instead you tried to make it personal, devaluing and insulting at which point you lose all credibility and incur my full derision. But good luck with your approach in the future also.

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline RngFndr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #98 on: September 08, 2012, 01:50:05 PM »
Everything would have been fine if Benny Hill ran the Op! :aok

Offline nrshida

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #99 on: September 08, 2012, 01:51:13 PM »
Get back in your bunker RngFndr, the CIA have infiltrated this BBS  :old:

Happy Friday Pipz!
-=Army of Muppets=-
"Get stuffed Skyyr, you freak" - Zack1234

Offline RngFndr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #100 on: September 08, 2012, 01:53:26 PM »
Get back in your bunker RngFndr, the CIA have infiltrated this BBS  :old:

:x Goody Freaking Gumdrops for them!

• Platinum Member
« Reply #101 on: September 08, 2012, 01:54:22 PM »
Demand is your word, your interpretation and a product, I suggest, of your now abundantly obvious and unfounded prejudice towards Europeans and especially the British.

I have demanded no such thing. I aspire to be treated equally even if I am not an American. I am not so unintelligent to identify this as anything other than an aspiration. I remind you that you chose not to treat me equally when you began referring to me in a derogatory fashion as 'the likes of you'. I asked you to qualify your statement, instead you tried to make it personal, devaluing and insulting at which point you lose all credibility and incur my full derision. But good luck with your approach in the future also.

I've been to Great Britain, as well as Germany. My opinions are hardly unfounded, as I have dealt directly with Europeans on their home ground. I've dealt with it on these boards, and other boards as well. There are actually Europeans, and British people in particular, on these boards, and within the flight sim community, for whom I have a great deal of respect, and in fact a particular fondness. It just happens that you are not even close to being among them. So that pretty much shoots your "prejudice" bravo sierra theory down in flames.

As far as you, personally, again, I could care less, I neither know you nor care about you. You began the derision, along with your buddy "zack1234", for whom I have no more use than I have for you. I care absolutely nothing about "credibility" with you or him, you'd have to matter and amount to something before that would happen. I'd have to care at least a little for it to be anything remotely "personal" about either of you. You may stick your "derision" where the sun never shines, and take your boy with you.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2012, 01:55:59 PM by Captain Virgil Hilts »
"I haven't seen Berlin yet, from the ground or the air, and I plan on doing both, BEFORE the war is over."

SaVaGe

• Platinum Member
« Reply #102 on: September 08, 2012, 01:54:55 PM »
double post deleted

SaVaGe

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #103 on: September 08, 2012, 02:03:51 PM »
Everything would have been fine if Benny Hill ran the Op! :aok

He is right though :old:

The GFC

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #104 on: September 08, 2012, 02:05:15 PM »
hate to tell you this, I seen a website written by another historian who wrote down the events from the show and what really happened. Each Episode had about half a dozen up to a dozen mistakes.
Example:
* At the beginning of the ninth episode, "Why We Fight", the date says April 11, 1945 as the episode opens with the paratroopers overlooking German civilians cleaning up their streets. At the end of the episode, the show returns to this scene, at which point Captain Nixon tells the others that Hitler had killed himself. However Hitler did not kill himself until April 30, 1945. Nixon wasn't told hitler committed suicide until May 3rd, Winters knew but said it could be speculations or rumors.

* At the end of the final episode, "Points," it is stated that Technician Fifth Class Joseph Liebgott became a San Francisco taxi driver after the war, but most accounts, including that of his son, state that Joseph Liebgott in fact became a barber after returning home from the war.
bill guarnere said this on a youtube video, nobody actually knew what he did, but during one of the meetings in 1980s he said to of been a barber.

* In the final episode, "Points," Major Winters accepts the surrender of a German Colonel, who offers him an ornate Luger pistol. In the scene, Winters tells him to keep his sidearm, but in the Bonus Features DVD, the real Winters recalls the incident and shows the pistol (a Walther PP) he accepted. In Ambrose's book of the same title, he describes how when Winters examined the firearm, he found it had never been fired, and he hasn't fired it since. He shows this firearm in the HBO documentary We Stand Alone Together. Also in book Beyond Band of Brothers : The war memoirs of Major Dick Winters written by Cole. C. Kingseed with Major Dick Winters it is said that the pistol was accepted but the rank of the German soldier was a Major not Colonel.

These are just the beginning, I haven't found the website - but the historian had a ton of information on the 501st, compares the show to ambrose's book and found quite a few errors in it.

You are talking about Mark Bando's "Trigger Time" forum for the 101st.  He's the premier 101st historian of the last 30 years or so.  Not defending Band of Brothers or tearing it up.  In terms of the mini-series they did a good job.  As with any movie or series, characters got left out, events were twisted a bit to fit and blended into characters that were left in.  In terms of armchair nit pickers like myself, there were things that were 'wrong' in the book and in the series.  That being said I think both are very worthy efforts.  

Ambrose relied very much on the recollections of the surviving members of E-Company.  The whole story of the Niland Brothers, that Saving Private Ryan is loosely based on was from the recollections of Don Mallarkey and the book written by the 101st Chaplain Father Sampson.  Both in the end got it wrong in terms of the exact details.  That doesn't mean they lied, but they reported what they'd heard or seen at the time.

Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters