Author Topic: First flight in a while  (Read 354 times)

Offline Getback

• Platinum Member
First flight in a while
« on: September 08, 2012, 09:07:31 AM »
Been really busy with real life stuff. Like hitting the gym, designing a new kitchen, and most important work and friends. Then of course there's the 12 year old Jeep that needs love. Spent over $500 on that this week. Oh, there's been streaming videos. Watched my umptenth foreign film last night. Well after halfway through another foreign film I decide it's time for a sortie or two.

Let me tell you how rusty I was. I go to turn on the gaming computer and forget where the on/off button is. Took me a couple of seconds to find it. Then it took me longer to remember the password. With that resolved I calibrate my stick at desktop and then launch the game. There's an update. Seems to have been some noticeable changes like downtimes of objects destroyed displayed in your text. Well that sounds pretty cool. Grab some eggs and head out in an F6. One of our vbases is flashing. I figure a horde of gvs are attacking it. I head there first. When I get there I see the field ack firing and there on one of the roads is a tank. Being on the road sure helped spot him. I swoop in. Now I'm as rusty as an artificial reef. So I pull up, roll, hit the rudder, loop under and drop my egg. Somehow it finds its target. The base quits flashing. Would have thought there were more targets there.

On to our cv which was close to the base. First I climb a bit to around 10k. When I'm over our cv I hear some one claim an enemy cv is approaching from the front. Well goodie! I wanted to see what this downtime thing was about. Soon enough I get flack from the enemy cv. I figure some gun squatter would nail me before I got my eggs and rockets off. First target would be the cruiser but then before I started my dive it was cleared off the map. So on to the carrier. I at least wanted to get some rockets off and fired from a great distance. Coming down at a very good angle for rockets, I think around 45 degrees, I launched a pair, readjusted my aim and lauched two more pairs. Then back spaced twice and dropped my last egg. I really nailed the cv. Out of my side window I could see the tower blossom into flame. Then came all the text with the downtimes. Wish I would have taken a screen shot of that. Most were around 15 minutes but one was 81 minutes. That must have been the radar.

Checking my damage I was missing an aileron. Not bad considering I figured I would be towered rather quickly. After that I ran around trying to get my second kill so I could get my name in lights. All I could manage was an assist. Then came the landing on the cv. Hey I did it, snagged those wires just fine. Not a bad first sortie.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Offline Butcher

• Platinum Member
Re: First flight in a while
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 09:50:14 AM »
Don't feel bad, I left the game and packed my joysticks/rudder pedals up and stored them in the closet. few days ago I decided to pop back in the game - I had to go hunting for the joysticks.. I started to freak out I couldn't find them..
Apparently the lil lady decided it took up to much real estate in the closet (I kept my Thrustmaster Warthog box just in case something goes wrong) so she put it in the attic.
Sign of victory when I open the attic and there it is - shiny clean and just sitting there calling my name, I go to plug everything in - everything pops up. I instantly hop in the main arena to do the calibrating then off in the air I go... Except I didn't calibrate my pedals - so I slam into a carrier's bridge taking off. Odd maybe the carrier was moving...so I take off again from land, BOOM into an ack gun...

I disconnect and head to training arena to find out whats going on, Oh nice my rudder pedals are not even connected, instead it forced it to my throttle stick on the Warthog - oops..

so I exit aces and plug in the pedals this time, head back in - Everything works!

First Sortie was rather great, 3600 rounds fired in a P-47M without a single kill LOL I did manage to kill those two pestering trees though before I plowed into them.
JG 52

Offline gpwurzel

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 10:38:55 AM »
Welcome back, the pair of ya - both of those sound like my way of flying, without any rust.

Wurz
I'm the worst pilot ingame ya know!!!

It's all unrealistic crap requested by people who want pie in the sky actions performed without an understanding of how things work and who can't grasp reality.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 10:46:36 AM »
Wurz :)
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Krupinski

• Gold Member
      • Twitch
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2012, 10:47:44 AM »
Taking off feels like a burden to me.  :(

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2012, 10:57:15 AM »
   Glad you could Getback.  :D
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2012, 11:16:37 AM »

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp