Author Topic: HardCore  (Read 4355 times)

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
Re: HardCore
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2012, 04:06:22 PM »
As you and your wing make last minute adjustments you put out on range vox
"Two ponys at twelve-five crusing 400 indicated, heading north, range check for contact, over"

You hear "Roger that northbound ponys me and my wingman are in long visual on airfield 3. We have what looks like three cons lifting and turning nose on. We're on the deck heading west to intercept, will come in over the top and bounce them if we drag them too you?"

"Big Roger That. We are comming in from the two o'clock vector or north by northeast of airfield 3" you reply.

"Roger that dragging them that too you on the deck" you hear.

"Roger That" you respond on range... Then on squad vox you tell your wing to nose on airfield 3.

Silence as you ingress in to help these guys with a 3v2 situation knowing you will quickly make it 4v0  :devil

"Visual! Long eleven" your wingman says on squad vox

"Roger that long viz as well. Let me get them on range" "We got you guys on long viz and are comming down now..."

Pure, unadulterated fantasy.  The reality of it wouldn't bear they slightest resemblance to that.
Petals floating by,
      Drift through my woman's hand,
             As she remembers me-

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2012, 04:07:08 PM »
PUH-leeze, Zoney....

The AVA is not more "hard core" at all... Its an arbitrarily decided set of rules that a select few think is "more elite" and "requiring more awesome skillz" that they mandate based upon their own prejudiced ideas taken from the IL2 community.

It's far more gamey than the MA, even. 1.0 fuel burn with bases 10 miles apart means every plane flies around near empty weight. Almost every time I'm in there it's nothing but people hiding from fights until they think they can pick without being seen. Flying without icons is akin to flying legally blind, and no pilot would be allowed up in the air, ever, with the kind of vision it provides. In reality you can spot airplanes with great clarity at very long ranges. The select few AvA bandwagon-riders use TrackIR and maximum zoom to get around this but don't be fooled -- they have found a way to game the limitations they set for themselves.

It isn't any more realistic nor is it any more elite, and the constant claims that it takes more skill, talent, and l33tness to fly in the AvA is just self-stroking on their part. They throw a condescending attitude into any conversation to the contrary and with a dismissive wave ignore any details, facts, or logical/scientific arguments that counter what they want to believe in.

Ok....If I see numbers in A vs A, I will be sure to pad my score at the expense of yours like the other 8 guys who own you and somehow fly there without it being apparent in the arena selection screen.

The sad part is that I have only once (11 months ago) seen numbers above zero population and that only lasted a couple of hours before it went back to zero.

The amount of utter bullchit lies in these two posts is mind blowing.  Beyond words.  Since you two dislike the arena so much, and NEVER fly in there, let's keep it that way.  Just...amazing. :rolleyes:
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: September 28, 2012, 04:08:08 PM »
As you and your wing make last minute adjustments you put out on range vox
"Two ponys at twelve-five crusing 400 indicated, heading north, range check for contact, over"

You hear "Roger that northbound ponys me and my wingman are in long visual on airfield 3. We have what looks like three cons lifting and turning nose on. We're on the deck heading west to intercept, will come in over the top and bounce them if we drag them too you?"

"Big Roger That. We are comming in from the two o'clock vector or north by northeast of airfield 3" you reply.

"Roger that dragging them that too you on the deck" you hear.

"Roger That" you respond on range... Then on squad vox you tell your wing to nose on airfield 3.

Silence as you ingress in to help these guys with a 3v2 situation knowing you will quickly make it 4v0  :devil

"Visual! Long eleven" your wingman says on squad vox

"Roger that long viz as well. Let me get them on range" "We got you guys on long viz and are comming down now..."

It must be the weekend that is a Slot ton of rogering going on right there
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #48 on: September 28, 2012, 04:37:13 PM »
Im sorry i love the AVA and am deffinatly onthre band wagon but I dont use track IR, nor am I zoomed in all the time but I dont blame those that do use it as  having unfair advantage as  anybody can get track IR), also I will never claim its hard to kill me  as =I have zero confedence in my ability in this game,  I simply like the AVA because the setups are not the hordefest you often find in the MA and the planets  are as time specific as the GM's can make it(I know, Karnak),people in there aren't as trollish as the MA(IN MY OPINION) nor elitist at all(in my EXPERENCE), Possibly  before I played s there could have been some bad seeds but, I don't let a bad experience at a McDonald's  in 1987 stop me from geeting a sweet tea and a dbl stack now and then. Holding gruges is  never the action of a truely wise man. :old:
No need to apologize, Nathan.  Enjoy the fun and ignore the simplistic and narrow minded who are stuck it their archaic views.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline shotgunneeley

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: September 28, 2012, 05:58:49 PM »
I would just like to see a tour where the war was condensed with a rolling planeset.

Hmm that's interesting. Combine into one arena; start, middle, and end of the tour is early, mid, and late war planeset respectively - minus anything that had been taken off the front lines at the particular time period.

Trouble is that we neither have every model nor every design that entered service, e.g. Our b17G covers for early and midwar models (if allowed). players may whine about not being able to perk farm during the late war uber ride period too.

I like it though
"Lord, let us feel pity for Private Jenkins, and sorrow for ourselves, and all the angel warriors that fall. Let us fear death, but let it not live within us. Protect us, O Lord, and be merciful unto us. Amen"-from FALLEN ANGELS by Walter Dean Myers

Game ID: ShtGn (Inactive), Squad: 91st BG

Offline guncrasher

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #50 on: September 28, 2012, 06:36:52 PM »

I would just like to see a tour where the war was condensed with a rolling planeset.

well you can play 1 week in the early war, second week in midwar, 3rd week in late war and as a grand finale last week on the ava.  you can see that every month if you would like :).

semp
you dont want me to ho, dont point your plane at me.

Offline Nr_RaVeN

• Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: September 28, 2012, 08:40:03 PM »
PUH-leeze, Zoney....

The AVA is not more "hard core" at all... Its an arbitrarily decided set of rules that a select few think is "more elite" and "requiring more awesome skillz" that they mandate based upon their own prejudiced ideas taken from the IL2 community.

It's far more gamey than the MA, even. 1.0 fuel burn with bases 10 miles apart means every plane flies around near empty weight. Almost every time I'm in there it's nothing but people hiding from fights until they think they can pick without being seen. Flying without icons is akin to flying legally blind, and no pilot would be allowed up in the air, ever, with the kind of vision it provides. In reality you can spot airplanes with great clarity at very long ranges. The select few AvA bandwagon-riders use TrackIR and maximum zoom to get around this but don't be fooled -- they have found a way to game the limitations they set for themselves.

It isn't any more realistic nor is it any more elite, and the constant claims that it takes more skill, talent, and l33tness to fly in the AvA is just self-stroking on their part. They throw a condescending attitude into any conversation to the contrary and with a dismissive wave ignore any details, facts, or logical/scientific arguments that counter what they want to believe in.

krusty is just frustrated because his skill set is limited and his cartoon plane suffers defeat in any environment with less than 6k icons and limeted dar..  :ahand
Life is short. PLAY HARD...

"Have patience. All things are difficult before they become easy."
Saadi

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2012, 09:34:05 PM »
 :joystick: No icons. (No  :cry about this one sissys... If you have never done it with squad mates then how do you know you won't like it? :old:)

Really, "sissys"?  Why do so many of the posts about the AvA toss around nonsense like this?

By leading off with immature junk like that, whatever else you might say is very easy to dismiss.

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2012, 11:09:20 PM »
krusty is just frustrated because his skill set is limited and his cartoon plane suffers defeat in any environment with less than 6k icons and limeted dar..  :ahand
See, this here is the kind of elitist BS that we're referring to.  Why should I play in an environment where I am at a disadvantage due to computer hardware, not skill?

If you prefer ambushes and not fights, no icons is for you.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-

Offline jimson

• AvA Staff Member
  • Platinum Member
      • The Axis vs Allies Arena
« Reply #54 on: September 29, 2012, 12:24:28 AM »
PUH-leeze, Zoney....

The first thing to ask is what is the purpose of a post like this? If you don't like the AvA then don't fly in there, but there is no good reason to flame and try to steer people away.

Let people make up their own minds.

Now I'll address the post itself, lot's of misinformation here.

We tried no enemy icons long ago and a lot of people thought it was really cool, so we kept it for quite a while, but due to complaints by folks like Krusty, last year we experimented with turning them back on and guess who was still absent from the arena? The vast majority of the people who demanded they be turned back on.

We did got a lot of complaints from people who were pissed that we turned them back on though.

We conducted an invitation survey and we gathered all the names we could match up with BBS handles who had flown in the arena during times when we had enemy icons on and during times we had enemy icons off.

We expected at best an even split on preference for icons but instead the results were OVERWHELMINGLY in favor of no enemy icons. It wasn't even close.

Arbitrary my butt. We'll listen to the AvA community more than we will bomb throwers with too much time on their hands, thank you very much.

We have two commercial pilots and at least one private pilot who fly in the arena and prefer the no enemy icon setting. You can decide for yourself who is worth listening too.

I never advertise the arena as "elite" and I hate and I mean really hate it when I see other people do that, but there is no doubt that it is a different experience. One that a lot of people who actually fly with us really like.

If you are never there, you won't hear it when more people say "this is really cool" than say "this really sucks."

If AvA is someones favorite arena what do you expect them to say? "Our players are gamey and really suck. The MA is much better!"

I don't know of anyone who flies with view zoomed in, but like everywhere else, we do have a lot of folks who use trackir. So what? No one complains about people using it in other arenas.

It's not easy to run an arena like ours. All the things that make other arenas successful, we can't do. We can't gather scores and stats to match our weekly runs. All that is done on a monthly basis and we aren't going to leave the same setup in for a month. We do not have access to any kind of event logging program.

We can't limit things like 70% fly the P40E and 30 % get the P-47D

We can't have an automatic win the war map rotation and reset because that system is based on 3 country everything enabled and random map rotation, so if it does reset it becomes a mess instead of an AvA playable set up. We can't use perk points because in a Midway or Battle of Britain inspired set up there is no place for C-hogs or 262's.

We are in no mans land without a good way to run an automatic 24/7 arena and without a way to run structured events, but we do sometimes designate special nights to concentrate our smaller population in at the same time so there will be a playable population.

We try to provide an alternative. That's all we can do.

If you don't like the arena, don't fly there, but why trash it? Can't you just keep your effing nose out of it?

Why even try to tell us how to do things when as proven in the past, if we do try them your way, you will be nowhere to be found anyhow?

For anyone who would like to try AvA, we'd love to have you and will try to give suggestions on when you are likely to find the most players in there, but before you listen to other people who try to drive you away from it, you might click on their profile and take a look at how much time they devote to trashing the efforts of volunteers who are not paid or compensated in any way, but still spend significant time trying to provide enjoyment for others.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 02:27:47 AM by jimson »

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2012, 01:16:00 AM »
Really, "sissys"?  Why do so many of the posts about the AvA toss around nonsense like this?

By leading off with immature junk like that, whatever else you might say is very easy to dismiss.

If ya read the earlier posts the guy is new and has limited experience, so can we chalk it up to new guy enthusiasm?
HamHawk
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2012, 01:18:06 AM »
See, this here is the kind of elitist BS that we're referring to.  Why should I play in an environment where I am at a disadvantage due to computer hardware, not skill?

If you prefer ambushes and not fights, no icons is for you.

You can ambush in there but rigth now I am on a spare cmputer(thanks Captian1ma) and its not top of the line,  and I can still be ok in there yes its tough to spot folks but it was tough when I had my comp with a 6870 in it.
HamHawk
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline Puma44

• Platinum Member
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2012, 02:45:59 AM »
Pure, unadulterated fantasy.  The reality of it wouldn't bear they slightest resemblance to that.
Got some experience doing it for real, do ya?  At least these guys are giving it a try vs. whining and complaining.

All gave some, Some gave all

Offline surfinn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2012, 07:41:09 AM »
Me and my squad mates fly in the AvA all the time when the MA gets to be to much. I have to say I always have fun in there it is a new experience and the guys that fly in there are a great group. It really helps your SA skills. Plane color and skins have a real impact and the fights are awsum. I chased a lone buff for 3 sectors on the deck once and kept losing him due to the cammo on his ac. I had to turn my engine off to try to hear his engine to try to find him several times. While this was totally frustrating it was also a blast. The AvA is a great place to fly and honestly if ya don't like it why flame it for being differant than the MA. For me that is what makes it great. :cheers:

Offline Karnak

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #59 on: September 29, 2012, 09:43:39 AM »
Got some experience doing it for real, do ya?  At least these guys are giving it a try vs. whining and complaining.
I did not mean "real WWII".  I meant the reality of gameplay in settings like that, and yes, I do have a little experience in those settings.
Petals floating by,
             As she remembers me-