Author Topic: Conditions for town resupply  (Read 1749 times)

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
Re: Conditions for town resupply
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2012, 08:58:46 PM »
I would leave the GV quantity at 10 per M3, but increase the Goon quantity to 15. This would increase the chances of success in the Goon over the M3 but still make Base capture possible either way.

A goon is an all or nothing proposition.  You either sneak in unnoticed or are slaughtered.  M3s cause a lot of desperation augers (including myself numerous times  :D) but seldom can a C-47 escape a fighter.  Since you could still capture with the 10 troops in an M3, there would be little incentive to take a C-47.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: October 04, 2012, 12:27:04 AM »
A goon is an all or nothing proposition.  You either sneak in unnoticed or are slaughtered.  M3s cause a lot of desperation augers (including myself numerous times  :D) but seldom can a C-47 escape a fighter.  Since you could still capture with the 10 troops in an M3, there would be little incentive to take a C-47.

Well the advantage of an M3 is you can drive the troops right up to the map room, but the Goon either has to land outside town or drop the troops which gives the defenders a better opportunity to see them and kill them. Now if you see troops, all you have to do is kill one unless, as you mentioned, you auger in (I also do this quite frequently  :joystick:) By having the higher number of troops in the Goon you are rewarded for the added difficulty and risk and a better chance of succeeding in the Base capture. :x
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #47 on: October 04, 2012, 06:45:38 AM »
A single GV troop carrier should not be able to capture alone.

Sneaking in an M3 happens often due to the very low icon ranges and small dot. a C47 is almost impossible to sneak in - its silhouette is big and distinctive, icon ranges are longer than for GVs. A C-47 is an easy kill to any fighter, while an M3 is not so easy to kill with guns, especially for planes without cannons. In practice, to get the C47 in, a complete momentary air superiority is required, while M3 often brings the troops through the action. How many base capture with goons have you seen lately? From my limited sampling, M3 captures are much more common.
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #48 on: October 04, 2012, 01:06:49 PM »
M3 Base captures are more common than C47's, but I believe that is because the M3 is quicker to get troops there. If 1 GV can not capture a base, the 10 minute time limit needs to be extended.  :D
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76