Author Topic: Private Property???  (Read 442 times)

Offline RngFndr

• Nickel Member
Private Property???
« on: October 07, 2012, 06:42:18 PM »
Wall Street Journal, Market Watch..
US Supreme Court decides if you can resell your private property...
What a nightmare.. Contemplate the kind of precedent this sets, hmmm???

It seems, that you may have to pay a duty to the creator of anything you own..
The stink just keeps gettin deeper, by the day even..

Any thoughts???

Offline smoe

• Silver Member
Re: Private Property???
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2012, 06:48:28 PM »
I could see the possibility. This could target owners that dump toxic chemicals on their land. Note: I am not taking sides here.

Offline RngFndr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2012, 06:51:01 PM »
I could see the possibility. This could target owners that dump toxic chemicals on their land. Note: I am not taking sides here.

Need to look up the article and read it.. This is WAY BEYOND that..

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2012, 06:56:21 PM »
My understanding is that this is in regards ONLY to products produced over seas when they have copywrite laws that prevent second sale... so no your land if its in the US is safe.

"That’s being challenged now for products that are made abroad, and if the Supreme Court upholds an appellate court ruling, it would mean that the copyright holders of anything you own that has been made in China, Japan or Europe, for example, would have to give you permission to sell it."

It could be a blessing in disguise as it would encourage more things to be manufactured here as it would free MFGs from having to deal with NOW foreign copywrite law. Esp true for products designed in the USA and mfg in China, as now this change creates grey area in the law over who's copywrite laws are in effect. It could also push all biz overseas for the same reason as now they wouldn't have to compete against the second hand market composed of their own products.

I guess this is what we get for encouraging 'Business friendly' supreme court justices... as usually 'Business friendly' == 'Big Business Friendly'
« Last Edit: October 07, 2012, 07:00:05 PM by Ardy123 »
Yeah, that's right, you just got your rear handed to you by a fuggly puppet!
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline Tec

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2012, 09:21:25 PM »
Common sense will prevail on this one.  I do get a chuckle out of the idea of enforcement of Chinese copyrights though.
To each their pwn.
K$22L7AoH

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2012, 09:39:59 PM »
Common sense will prevail on this one.  I do get a chuckle out of the idea of enforcement of Chinese copyrights though.
hehe.. I wonder if we then get to enforce USA child labor laws on all products mfg in china... fair trade?
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline madhogg

• Persona Non Grata
  • Copper Member
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2012, 10:01:57 PM »
what is next?  :noid :headscratch:

Offline Agent360

• Nickel Member
      • http://troywardphotography.com
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2012, 01:00:59 AM »
I saw this today as well.

The case is really about copyrights....not if someone can re sell a 1982 alarm clock(made in china) at a yard sale.

The big guys don't like getting outsmarted by the little guys....LOLOL.

Remember an  appellate court ruled in FAVOR for the case. This will appear before the supreme court...its on their docket. Its scary when stuff like this actually makes it to our supreme court.

The point is the big boys want you to pay them a fee if your a big enough retailer...add up ebay and youtube revenues over there product base...thats what this is about....if you have an ebay store and sell used stuff...ebay has to charge you a copyright "fee" which they then split with the copyright holders.

kewwwlllll ha...yea....the world is scary my friends.

from: http://www.marketwatch.com/story/your-right-to-resell-your-own-stuff-is-in-peril-2012-10-04
"The case stems from Supap Kirtsaeng’s college experience. A native of Thailand, Kirtsaeng came to America in 1997 to study at Cornell University. When he discovered that his textbooks, produced by Wiley, were substantially cheaper to buy in Thailand than they were in Ithaca, N.Y., he rallied his Thai relatives to buy the books and ship them to him in the United States.

He then sold them on eBay, making upward of $1.2 million, according to court documents.

Wiley, which admitted that it charged less for books sold abroad than it did in the United States, sued him for copyright infringement. Kirtsaeng countered with the first-sale doctrine."

Offline Ardy123

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2012, 01:22:54 AM »
The case is really about copyrights....not if someone can re sell a 1982 alarm clock(made in china) at a yard sale.
Correct, pursuing small money isn't worth their time or effort... I should have stated this too...
==Army of Muppets==
(Bunnies)

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2012, 01:45:21 AM »
As I have said in "Aircraft Carrier" thread numerous times.

The US has been leaning on the Chinese for a while now.

Your investment bankers have brought China into the Capitalist fold, now they have had a taste of it they cannot turn back :)

Fantastic :)

Those damn Commies, you will have to put all your guns away, they are all to busy buying flat screen TV's to invade the US.

Capitalism wins everytime, it just took 70 years :rofl

Flippen heck I forgot about thoughs pesky North Koreans, dont holster those side arms just yet :rofl
There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline Vulcan

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 02:52:46 AM »

the US tries to shove some pretty retarded laws down other countries throats too tbh. The reason this is all happening is negotiations for free trade, so it's a two ways street.

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2012, 04:13:59 AM »
what is next?  :noid :headscratch:

NZ Food Bill to Ban Growing Food without Gov't Authorisation

While many enjoy the produce from their own vegie patch, the right to freely cultivate food is under attack in New Zealand as special interest groups and others apply pressure to have a "food security" bill passed. The Food Bill would remove the rights of individuals to grow food, save seeds, and even prevent them from sharing their own produce with friends and family.

WTF!   has the world gone mad??
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline RngFndr

• Nickel Member
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2012, 07:13:42 AM »
A poor ruling on this, and it will breed a whole crop of new legislation from our owned "representatives"..

You all know how legislation is written.. As loosely as possible, so it can be interpreted by those in power,
to their greatest advantage.. This is how those in power, GRAB MORE POWER.. Haven't we seen it enough???

Isn't it enough that ya have to pay a tax on your own skin now.. That in itself, is a statement and admission
of ownership by the state.. I guess if they have a claim on your skin, then they own your stuff too huh???

Hellfire, they even come out and say, "The only thing we all belong to, is the Government!"

edit: There is a word for that ya know! Some people will make excuses for the inexcusable..
« Last Edit: October 08, 2012, 07:34:05 AM by RngFndr »

Offline gyrene81

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2012, 08:59:00 AM »
geez RngFndr way to mess up the story man...and why are you acting surprised by it? look up imminent domain, we're all just squatters...
jarhed  
Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day...
Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life. - Terry Pratchett