Author Topic: Ganged 88s  (Read 555 times)

Offline Ashley Pomeroy

• Zinc Member
Ganged 88s
« on: October 01, 2012, 05:01:45 PM »
Simple, really; reorganise the 88mm base flak guns so that each airfield has a single four-gun flak battery, instead of individual guns. The player is located in a central directing post which, if destroyed, has the effect of disabling all the guns*. They fire in unison, with a certain amount of spread. I was thinking of this photo here.

Or alternatively get rid of the auto-ack around the strat targets and replace them with these batteries. The gunners will have fun blasting off their four guns and there would be slightly more of a skill element to flak, rather than dice-rolling fuel leaks etc.

* Otherwise the gunner would have four "lives" versus the pilot's one.

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
Re: Ganged 88s
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2012, 08:49:02 PM »
If I understood this correctly...  You want to get rid of all 2 88mm guns, and replace them with 1 stationary 4 88mm "uber doober cannon", and if it is destroyed them all the 37mm's are destroyed as well? 

I don't really understand the nature of this post.  Nor do I agree with it even if I did.  I'm fine with my single 88mm that shoots p51's down quite nicely. 

Unless you wish to share light on this (as explain in more detail as to what this is supposed to be, how it would work; and simply by what you mean that everything else would be destroyed if this 4 88mm uber doober  cannon was destroyed) then that would be lovely.

Until then...

:noid
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline Ack-Ack

• Radioactive Member
      • FlameWarriors
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2012, 08:52:43 PM »
If I understood this correctly...  You want to get rid of all 2 88mm guns, and replace them with 1 stationary 4 88mm "uber doober cannon", and if it is destroyed them all the 37mm's are destroyed as well? 

I don't really understand the nature of this post.  Nor do I agree with it even if I did.  I'm fine with my single 88mm that shoots p51's down quite nicely. 

Unless you wish to share light on this (as explain in more detail as to what this is supposed to be, how it would work; and simply by what you mean that everything else would be destroyed if this 4 88mm uber doober  cannon was destroyed) then that would be lovely.

Until then...

:noid

He's not talking about eliminating the 37mm field guns when the 88mm "fire control center" is destroyed.  The only problem with his wish is that the 88mm AA guns are dual purpose, his wish would pretty much eliminate the 88mm guns as AT guns.

ack-ack
"If Jesus came back as an airplane, he would be a P-38." - WW2 P-38 pilot
Elite Top Aces +1 Mexican Official Squadron Song

Offline Guppy35

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2012, 09:18:00 PM »
As AKAK pointed out, it would really kill the 88 as an anti-tank weapon.  To help with the defense of a field from the tankers, spreading out the 88s is a must.
Dan/CorkyJr
8th FS "Headhunters

Offline Tinkles

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2012, 09:42:24 PM »
As AKAK pointed out, it would really kill the 88 as an anti-tank weapon.  To help with the defense of a field from the tankers, spreading out the 88s is a must.

Ok between your comment and ak-ak's comment I understand.   

Still don't like it though.    :furious

-1  :noid

:salute
If we have something to show we will & do post shots, if we have nothing new to show we don't.
HiTech
Adapt , Improvise, Overcome. ~ HiTech
Be a man and shoot me in the back ~ Morfiend

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2012, 11:01:44 PM »
I have flak bases I sometimes put near factories & HQs in terrains, but they are all AI 88s & 37mm.
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Rob52240

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
      • My AH Films
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2012, 01:08:00 PM »
The 88 is the worst addition to aces high since I began playing.  Instead of adding to the game it detracts in my opinion.  They are rarely used on bombers compared to how often they are used against single low fighters (all the time).
If I had a gun with 3 bullets and I was locked in a room with Bin Laden, Hitler, Saddam and Zipp...  I would shoot Zipp 3 times.

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2012, 03:53:38 PM »
The 88 is the worst addition to aces high since I began playing.  Instead of adding to the game it detracts in my opinion.  They are rarely used on bombers compared to how often they are used against single low fighters (all the time).

the fighters are doing something wrong then, you have to actually get lucky to hit maneuvering fighters with an 88.
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2012, 06:04:53 PM »
the fighters are doing something wrong then, you have to actually get lucky to hit maneuvering fighters with an 88.

Like when I flew directly at kvuo the other day  :bhead
HamHawk
Wing III-- Pigs on The Wing
FSO--JG54
CHUGGA-CHUGGA, CHOO-CHOO
Pigs go wing deep

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2012, 06:48:48 PM »

Maybe fighters shouldn't be so predictable in their flight patern when they know they're under fire.

Just saying, if you're flying at constant speed along the same vector, thats a target even an autistic camel could hit.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline kvuo75

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2012, 11:06:28 PM »
Like when I flew directly at kvuo the other day  :bhead

i dont do 88's, usually 37mm's
kvuo75

Kill the manned ack.

Offline Nathan60

• Platinum Member