Author Topic: Hearts Of Iron 3  (Read 268 times)

Offline spitfreak01

• Copper Member
Hearts Of Iron 3
« on: October 17, 2012, 05:47:08 PM »
Hey guys,

I was looking on steam the other evening and i stumbled upon a very nice looking WW2 game. It's kind of a Total war game but it has a few original things in it. First of all it isn't packed with action, and it doesn't have a 3d engine. Which I'm actually very fine with. But this game made me sit behind the computer for literally HOURS. And i am asking you guys if you guys know a game similar to HoI3, but then in a different period. Take for example: Medieval times, Renaissance, Roman times, maybe even in the Napoleonic Wars. It would be very helpfull if someone could provide me with that kind of information. I like playing Hoi3 a lot, just because i would sometimes like to step away from dogfights and shooters and drink a nice cup of tea with milk  :old:
My favourite Planes: Spitfire MK XIV, BF109, B24, B17
I play also:
Black ops
MW2
IL2 Sturmovik Birds of Prey

Offline Grayeagle

• Silver Member
Re: Hearts Of Iron 3
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2012, 10:47:21 AM »
I like Hearts of Iron 3 also. So many 'what if' scenarios ..not making Hitler's mistakes .. or FDR's .. even did a stint runnin Italy :)

Runnin the US side of things it's a race to get the Navy into the Atlantic and build enough infantry to keep the Germans out of France.
After blocking the Germans, can spearhead into Berlin by mid 1943.

Runnin the Germans .. I focus on industry entirely the first year (1936) infantry, navy and interceptors.

If you like I can email you a saved game that is evil runnin the Germans .. I setup an 'ideal' start for Germans and another for Russians.
can send you saved games at where I am at also as Hitler

atm.. it's late 1945, Britain has surrendered, I have penetrated to the Pacific thru Russia,
..my main focus is in Mexico, have run up from Brazil thru the Panama Canal into Mexico and slowly punchin my way to Texas.
And the Nukes are almost ready, along with my Strategic Bomb wings.

America has lost most of her fleet ..due to the 17 CV's and support ships running amok.

Everyone gonna be speakin German soon :)

-Frank aka GE
'The better I shoot ..the less I have to manuever'
-GE

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2012, 11:53:06 AM »
GE, I bought the game a while back, but can not figure it out.  Albeit I really only spent 15 mins or so messing with it.  Any good tutorials?
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.

Offline Grayeagle

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2012, 11:03:54 AM »
Bodhi - I went thru the in-game tutorials to figure out how things work.. also let the AI run against each other awhile to see how some things work.

The AI will do some pretty stupid things .. like makin destroyers and sendin em out to the British Isles (insta death for 'em ..the brits have pretty decent fleet presence initially)

Biggest problem the combatants had in WW2 is being unable-unwilling to focus their efforts.
If the US brings their fleet to the Atlantic and thoroughly spanks the German Navy *hard* they have no problem putting every boot ashore into France before 1940.
Makes it near impossible for the Germans to get into France.

My basic strategy for Hitler is no allies except Japan ..I take Poland in May and just run up the coast thru Latvia-Lithuania-Estonia
then do an amphib landing in Finland-Sweden. Also declare war on Denmark, Netherlands, Belgium, Luxembourg and Switzerland.
I land 10-15 divisions in England in late 1939..while battle for France is still going on.. I just run over from Amsterdam and dump 'em northeast of London.
I clean out the continent of Europe by end of 1940.. I run over Spain, then Italy ..and finish all the Slovak countries.
I need 1.2 million men to go into Russia. As soon as I have that number I go.
Usually can do so in late 1940 (August or so) .. by summer of 1941 I have Moscow, Stalingrad, Leningrad ..and Russia surrenders in 1942.

If Hitler had focused entirely on industry buildup in 1936.. then infantry, navy, and interceptors from then on..
135 divisions (3 brigades each) available for 1940, 200+ avail for invasion of Russia end of 1940, 400+ available by 1945 ..boots on the ground do the deed.
3 Bismarck class battlewagons in the water in 1939.
2 Fleet CV's in the water in 1940
..continuing/expanding production lines as war progresses.. so far late 1945 I have 17 fleet CV's in the water and 8 battlewagons along with support ships.
6 fighter wings of 3 squadrons each by 1940, 7 is the total I build.
8 tactical bomber wings of 2 squadrons each.
8 Naval bomber wings of 2 squadrons each.
I start building transport planes in 1939 ..slowly at first, then by 1942 I am up to building 8 squadrons at a time.
Tuff to keep the army supplied in it's blitz thru Russia ..gotta build airfield supply lines and infrastructure to keep em going.

To do an amphib assault .. need to build transport ships, run the infantry to the port they are at, load em up ..take em where you want them to go.
To protect transports I build a fleet around them ..initially it's every boat I can muster ..Donitz can be promoted to handle 30 ships (max allowed for one Admiral)
..it takes awhile to reach that cap but I usually have 10 transports, 3 battlewagons, and alla rest to reach 30 ships by the time I invade England.
Then I start splitting the fleet up when I get CV's in the water. Gotta develope technology to make fast task forces ..takes awhile but eventually you will have 2 CV's runnin amok with light cruisers and destroyers (gotta build engine tech so they will be fast  ..etc)

Ya .. I get sucked in :)

As I said earlier.. I can email you a startup setup for Germany or Russia that works well.

-Frank aka GE
'The better I shoot ..the less I have to manuever'
-GE

Offline Bodhi

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2012, 11:28:46 AM »
Thanks for sharing that GE.  Please do email me that starter game and I will check it out.

Thanks again.  PM'ng you my email.
I regret doing business with TD Computer Systems.