Author Topic: Force Feedback Sticks?  (Read 677 times)

Offline 100Coogn

• Gold Member
Force Feedback Sticks?
« on: October 20, 2012, 04:58:39 PM »
1. Do you use one?
2. Are the feedbacks true to your situation?
3. What's a good stick for a reasonable price?

I've done a lot of googling on this subject, but I'm interested on how well a force feedback stick  performs in AHII.
Maybe somebody could post a video on the proper set-up of a FFB stick.  I'd be quite interested in one in action, playing Aces High.

Coogan   :joystick:
From Wiley: If you're hitting them after they drop, that's not defense, that is revenge.
Game Id's:
AHIII: Coogan
RDR2: Coogan_Bear
MSFS-2020: Coogan Bear

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
Re: Force Feedback Sticks?
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2012, 01:32:30 AM »
Coogan I used the Logitech g940 for awhile and I was generally happy with it. There is only one drawback to it that I found and that was the FFB gears were made out of a cheap plastic so I had one strip out and with no centering spring it was hard to keep calibrated.

As for the feel of it I thought it was extremely comfortable and handled rather well for the time had it. It defiantly felt weird the first time there was pressure coming back into the stick.

Lawndarr
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 04:06:31 AM »
I have a modified logitec forcefeed back wingman pro which is very nice. :old:

Apparently people buy Sidewinders of ebay which are cheap and supposed to be very good indeed :old:

MickyD just got one and it was unused :old:

There are no pies stored in this plane overnight

The GFC
Pipz lived in the Wilderness near Ontario

Offline gewehr

• Zinc Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2012, 08:32:33 AM »
Use a modded MSSW2 FFB with an X52 handle grafted on. The Sidewinder is an excellent stick ;)

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
      • Dirac's equation (non truncated)
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2012, 08:41:25 AM »
Also have a G940, works very well so far. I think it does give a better awareness of the trim and speed (using manual trim), as for the situation... use your neck. G940 seems to be reasonably priced although cheap plastic all the way through, unfortunately. The rudder pedals have some issues with precision imo.

GameID: Turner
Truth has no agenda.

Offline LCAMerciful

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2012, 10:23:49 PM »
Also have a G940, works very well so far. I think it does give a better awareness of the trim and speed (using manual trim), as for the situation... use your neck. G940 seems to be reasonably priced although cheap plastic all the way through, unfortunately. The rudder pedals have some issues with precision imo.

That's because of the "reversal bug".  If you ever decide to fix it you'll fall in love with your G940 all over again.  Unfortunately fixing this requires some pretty substantial modifications.  I also had to rewire my throttle as the wiring in it is very..cheap.. however my FFB gears have held up just fine over the last couple of years:

Reversal bug demonstration:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZlUWwOJUN0

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 12:23:36 AM »
why have they not sorted this reversal problem again :old:

The GFC

Offline 33Vortex

• Platinum Member
      • Dirac's equation (non truncated)
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 02:56:23 AM »
Hey, thanks for the tip! Otherwise considering to replace the pedals with Thrustmaster hardware.

GameID: Turner
Truth has no agenda.

Offline LCAMerciful

• Copper Member
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 06:55:48 PM »
why have they not sorted this reversal problem again :old:

Because they decided to stop supporting the G940.  I don't think Logitech expected the people who purchased them to be picky about such trivial things such as... ACCURACY! *GASP!*  Their support consists of replacing the G940 if it is still under warranty - with another unit that has (or will have) the same exact problems.

Dozens of people and Logitech went round and round on their discussion boards about this issue.  From what I saw the engineers want to fix it but the Upper Management wouldn't let them.  The Upper Management failed to understand why it was a problem at all and actually decided to call it "Hysteresis" and claim it to be a feature instead of a flaw!  One of their PR guys came on bragging about this huge update that was going to fix everything and save their product... and it did make a huge improvement to the stick's X/Y axes but did absolutely nothing to fix the issues in the other axes.  The throttles, trims, pedals, and toe brakes still suffered from this issue.  When called upon to fix this they just turned their backs to us and never said another word.

Offline zack1234

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2012, 12:14:05 AM »
so what does the problem do?

The GFC

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2012, 09:22:32 AM »
I have a G940 as well.  To answer the question, yes, FFB is wonderful in my opinion.  I suppose I would adjust to a non FFB stick if I had to go another route, but I really do like the feedback from the stick.  Especially in a stall fight, it really helps you ride the edge of a stall because you can feel the onset.  Nursing home wounded birds is another story.  It's great for immersion but a PITA because the stick is shaking so badly.  Easily fixed by not covering the sensor on the stick with your hand, however.  I usually RTB damage with two fingers on the stick.

My issues with the G940 have had nothing to do with the reversal bug (:pray).  My throttle buttons seem to be going out, one by one (if you get a slow or no check 6 at all from me, that's why  :uhoh)  The two rotary dials on the throttle spiked at first and now just flat don't work.  I've read this is because the connection wires are simply too short.  One day when I have absolutely nothing else to do I may give rewiring it a shot.

It's a shame this setup has had these issues.  Before they started popping up on me it was a solid 9/10.
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-