Author Topic: US Navy Fighters: F4U or F6F  (Read 2087 times)

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
Re: US Navy Fighters: F4U or F6F
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2013, 07:56:32 AM »
I was surprised no one mentioned the looking up and looking up and back problem in the latter corsairs.  To me that is a bigger problem than looking back in the F6F.  But then I only use them in carrier work so I may not have the head postion set right.

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2013, 11:39:30 AM »
The rear views are a problem only if the enemy is behind you.
If the enemy is behind you, rear views are not you main problem right now.
:old:
Mosquito VI - twice the spitfire, four times the ENY.

Click!>> "So, you want to fly the wooden wonder" - <<click!
the almost incomplete and not entirely inaccurate guide to the AH Mosquito.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RGOWswdzGQs

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2013, 12:01:43 PM »
Adjusted rear views on the F4U-1D:

Rear view:

Rear high view:

Straight up view:

Back left view:

Back right view:

These views are easily attained by using your keyboard arrows and page up/down keys.  There is no obstruction whatsoever.
Now compare with the Hellcat views (especially straight back view) and see there is a huge difference.
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline Randy1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2013, 01:03:45 PM »

Caldera, you start with a saved head position way forward and up then?

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: February 17, 2013, 02:51:28 PM »
These views are easily attained by using your keyboard arrows and page up/down keys.  There is no obstruction whatsoever.
Now compare with the Hellcat views (especially straight back view) and see there is a huge difference.

In this 6 view the pilot head is partially outside the canopy. The F6F head limits keep a certain margin between the head an the canopy which limits the sideways head movement and prevent a good 6 view like this.

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #20 on: February 17, 2013, 05:27:43 PM »

In this 6 view the pilot head is partially outside the canopy. The F6F head limits keep a certain margin between the head an the canopy which limits the sideways head movement and prevent a good 6 view like this.

yeah, this rearview of the later variant F4Us  looks really weird........ heck I can not even get that postion myself using hatswitchs / POV hats on my CH HOTAS........ can TrackIR obtain that???

just curious

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline caldera

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2013, 08:33:00 PM »
Caldera, you start with a saved head position way forward and up then?

Not sure which view you're referring to, but all views started with in-game defaults and were maximized with keyboard arrows (then saved with F10).

Looks like his whole head is outsde to me.  I would even say the rear left and rear right views have the pilot's head slightly out of the cockpit.  The high rear view is totally unrealistic as well, as the pilot's head must be turned like an owl and resting on top of the gunsight.  That being said, this is a game and I have no problem with certain liberties taken in the name of playability.  Just wish the Hellcat was given the same consideration.  The views on the F6F have been revised twice since the remodel, but still aren't what they were beforehand.

yeah, this rearview of the later variant F4Us  looks really weird........ heck I can not even get that postion myself using hatswitchs / POV hats on my CH HOTAS........ can TrackIR obtain that???

just curious

TC

Don't know about TrackIR.  I just use the lowly hat switch. 
"Then out spake brave Horatius, the Captain of the gate:
 To every man upon this earth, death cometh soon or late.
 And how can man die better, than facing fearful odds.
 For the ashes of his fathers and the temples of his Gods."

Offline shiv

• Silver Member
« Reply #22 on: February 18, 2013, 12:15:49 PM »
Mine is much the same on the 1A, using arrow buttons, page up and page down and F10:

You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike.

Offline Slade

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2013, 06:01:15 AM »
And if the 6 view in the Hellcat was any use at all I would think you'd see a lot more of them in the arena.

I questioned this myself about a year ago.  So I had the New England Air Museum take pix from inside the F6 (I posted them here on BBS - search on them). The end result...Aces High NAILED it.  The 6 view we have in the F6 is exactly what pilots had in WWII.  Yes it is not great but there you go.

I talked to one F6 veteran pilot and asked him about.  He said if a plane got behind him he was not going stick stick around to see it, i.e. the tactics being used on zero's at the time he alluded to.

Rock on,

Slade   :salute
« Last Edit: February 19, 2013, 06:03:04 AM by Slade »
-- Flying as X15 --

Offline bozon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2013, 09:55:34 AM »
The high rear view is totally unrealistic as well, as the pilot's head must be turned like an owl and resting on top of the gunsight.
I like to imagine the poses that the pilot would have to do to get the set views I use in the game: lying on the back on the cockpit floor with legs resting on the seat, standing up and bending over the instrument panel, sitting on the instrument panel facing backwards, face pressed against the side canopy like a 5 years old in a stationwagon... etc.

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2013, 12:07:34 PM »
I like to imagine the poses that the pilot would have to do to get the set views I use in the game: lying on the back on the cockpit floor with legs resting on the seat, standing up and bending over the instrument panel, sitting on the instrument panel facing backwards, face pressed against the side canopy like a 5 years old in a stationwagon... etc.

:rofl

I was thinking about this the other day too, but I think this is one of those things that need a bit of compromise.  I'm all for realism but in the name of good fights (lose sight, lose fight) I'm comfortable pretending my pilot is granted circus performer skills every time he puts his flight suit on.   :D
Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline GScholz

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2013, 02:12:43 PM »
Yes, we have the Linda Blair view system. It's usually a good thing, but once in a while we have to invite Max von Sydow over...
"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censored, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

Offline Saxman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2013, 05:57:11 PM »
Could be worse. It could be like X-Wing: Alliance when your pilot could actually do SOMERSAULTS AND BACK FLIPS in the cockpit.
Ron White says you can't fix stupid. I beg to differ. Stupid will usually sort itself out, it's just a matter of making sure you're not close enough to become collateral damage.

Offline jododger

• Copper Member
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2013, 05:30:43 AM »
You could always look at the type of people that fly that ride:

F4U (girly types) SHawk Thing SkyRock DragonH5
F6F  Greebo BushLT......see real men fly straight wings

Hhehehee
Dodger
It's about the fight.

Offline Rigger1

• Zinc Member
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2013, 10:59:11 AM »
So after trial and error in both planes in a fighter and jabo role I have to agree they are evenly matched.  I don't know what it is, but the F6F just has a better feel to it. Over the past week I have flown it almost exclusively and am doing quite well with it.   Mark me down next to Mr. Greebo as a hellcat sympathizer!