Author Topic: Disable Advanced Graphics  (Read 3763 times)

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
Disable Advanced Graphics
« on: October 25, 2012, 12:33:18 PM »
The past few days, I've seen three times seen my PC freeze up for about ten or fifteen seconds, and then a SYSTEM message appears in the text buffer about advanced graphics options being disabled.  The funny thing is, I have not changed my PC, nor have I seen any drop in frame rate prior to this automatic "correction".  Can I disable this feature?  I'm not convinced that I need to be saved from my own graphics configuration.

PC config here:  kenshelby.us/docs/pc-parts.htm

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
Re: Disable Advanced Graphics
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 12:42:44 PM »
It takes too long to load the game, so it switches over. My guess is your connection might be a bunch slower due to the election crap we have on the US. It my settle down after that. Also Skuzzy is working on a new server setup for the LW arena. You can test it by logging onto a MW atna and see if your computer switches the graphics there to.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 01:11:19 PM »
I doubt this has to do with the test ISP location.  It has to do with local resource allocation problems within the local computer.  If a computer takes too long to respond, the game will automatically reduce the graphic load to help it run.  It cannot be disabled.

You need to find and correct why this is happening.  I want to stress this;  WINDOWS CHANGES ALL THE TIME, WITHOUT YOUR KNOWLEDGE!!!
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Babalonian

• Platinum Member
      • Pigs on the Wing
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2012, 05:53:36 PM »
Also, as simple as it sounds, check your heatsinks/fans on/in your PC for dust bunnies cloging them up or overheating components.  Little things like drops in performance or hickups would be the first signs of any trouble starting.
-Babalon
"Let's light 'em up and see how they smoke."
POTW IIw Oink! - http://www.PigsOnTheWing.org

Wow, you guys need help.

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 07:29:31 PM »
Thanks folks.   :salute

I recently added a side fan to cool the CrossFire pair of 5850's, so I've been watching CPU and GPU temps closely these past few weeks, and no issues there.

I'll take a close look at what's running on the Windows task list.  I think this is the more likely culprit.  If I ever meet Mr. Gates, he gets another pie in the face, from me!   :mad:

PC Specs

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 12:13:29 PM »
The search for rogue Windows processes continues. Meanwhile, turning all the bump mapping options OFF is a tolerable work-around.

PC Specs

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 08:26:49 AM »
Well, this is turning into an interesting puzzle...

I still cannot find any extraordinary Windows process that's stealing huge chunks of CPU.  I run the "AlacrityPC" tool before each Aces High session, to shut down all the usual Windows processes (i.e., background file transfer, windows update, superfetch, scheduler, etc.)

I've recently changed my machine a bit: updated the video card to an AMD 7950 and added two more ASUS VE258Q monitors.  Here is the current machine spec: http://kenshelby.us/docs/pc-parts.htm

The only time I have any issues is when I am online in Aces High.  When OFF-line in AH, I can crank all the eye candy "up to eleven" and the performance is very smooth (And beautiful, too. Nice job, you guys.)  My son plays Skyrim on this machine with all the hi-rez eye candy: no problem.  I play Total War Napoleon on this machine with all the hi-rez eye candy: no problem.  It's only the ON-line AH that has any difficulty.

I tried an "overlay reinstall" of AH last night: no joy. (You folks must have recently upgraded your d/l server: grabbing a full copy over my cable TV modem was less than 3 minutes.)

Maybe if you could give me more detail about what happens when I see the AH message "disabling advanced graphics options" ...?

« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 08:33:08 AM by Bino »

PC Specs

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 08:59:47 AM »
That message is a result of the computer frame rate dropping to below levels where the game can run.  If that frame rate drops too low for more than ten seconds (I believe it is 10 seconds), then the game automatically switches off the high graphic options.

If you are getting this when entering an arena, it means the game is struggling to allocate all the required resources it needs to run everything.

It is also possible something external of the game is causing the CPU to be distracted from running the game.  A DOS attack on the network port could cause it.

What are the Advanced->Graphic Options set to and what anti-aliasing are you using?  A DXDIAG output might be helpful as well.

The download server is the same as it has been for years.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 09:51:33 AM »
That message is a result of the computer frame rate dropping to below levels where the game can run.  If that frame rate drops too low for more than ten seconds (I believe it is 10 seconds), then the game automatically switches off the high graphic options.

If you are getting this when entering an arena, it means the game is struggling to allocate all the required resources it needs to run everything.

It is also possible something external of the game is causing the CPU to be distracted from running the game.  A DOS attack on the network port could cause it.

What are the Advanced->Graphic Options set to and what anti-aliasing are you using?  A DXDIAG output might be helpful as well.

The download server is the same as it has been for years.

Hmmm... haven't seen any evidence of a DOS attack, and the PC is hardwired to a 3Com "OfficeConnect" home network router that includes some firewall protections.

When I get home tonight I will post links to a screenshot JPG of the AH Advanced->Graphic Options, and a DXDIAG text file.  I have always used the minimum (2x ?) anti-aliasing in that initial AH "video settings" selection screen, while in the AMD video driver options I select "use application preferences".

In the meantime, if I turn all the AH Advanced->Graphic Options off, then AH runs fine.  Just looks a bit plain.

(Just lucky on that fast d/l last night, I guess.  <shrug>)

Thanks, Skuzzy.   :salute
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 09:56:20 AM by Bino »

PC Specs

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 10:44:55 AM »
Numb1 had flickering issues with Joe AMD  card. By dropping the drivers back to 12.4 it cured his problem. AMD knows about issues with this batch of drivers, according to numb1. Maybe the driver issues also mess with the use of the ram on the card causing the slower load time. Just something else to check.

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 12:25:42 PM »
Numb1 had flickering issues with Joe AMD  card. By dropping the drivers back to 12.4 it cured his problem. AMD knows about issues with this batch of drivers, according to numb1. Maybe the driver issues also mess with the use of the ram on the card causing the slower load time. Just something else to check.

Might make more sense if I saw the problem across all programs, but I only have an issue with the ON-line side of AH, not OFF-line AH, nor anything else.

Will keep it in mind, though.   :salute

PC Specs

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 02:44:10 PM »
Numb1 was only seeing issues with.AH, other games worked fine. Also, your only going to get that switch to lower graphics with the extra load of being online and downloading the positional data from the game. Off-line doesn't have the data uploaded.

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 07:44:32 PM »
Skuzzy, here are those links...

AH graphics options in place when I see the problem (all but the Gamma are set via the default button) : 

DxDiag, run just now:  http://kenshelby.us/docs/DxDiag-2012-12-04.txt

Thanks!   :salute

PC Specs

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 09:07:45 AM »
A couple of things.

1)  Do you need the ATI sound driver?  If you are not using the HDMI port of the video card, you need to remove that driver and disable the sound device on the video card.

2)  Did you load the native motherboard drivers, or are you using the default supplied Windows 7 drivers?  You need to make sure you installed the native motherboard drivers.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 09:39:40 AM »
I can quickly take care of that ATI sound driver, again.  Probably came back with the install of the new video card.

When I first set up the machine, after installing Windows I loaded the drivers that came on the ASUS setup disk: the Intel chipset utility, etc.  Both of my JBOD SATA hard drives (and the two DVD drives) are on the Intel chipset SATA-3Gb bus, not the Marvel SATA-6Gb bus.  The on-board Marvel LAN chip is disabled and I use a PCI-E Intel NIC, with Intel driver.  Likewise, the on-board Realtek sound chip is disabled and I use a PCI-E Creative sound card with their driver.

Hmmm... I do see that my BIOS is a bit out of date, and the release notes for one of the intervening BIOS updates do use that euphemism for bug fixes: "improve system stability"

A couple of things.

1)  Do you need the ATI sound driver?  If you are not using the HDMI port of the video card, you need to remove that driver and disable the sound device on the video card.

2)  Did you load the native motherboard drivers, or are you using the default supplied Windows 7 drivers?  You need to make sure you installed the native motherboard drivers.

PC Specs