Author Topic: tank tactics?  (Read 907 times)

Offline texasfighter

• Copper Member
tank tactics?
« on: October 25, 2012, 04:25:55 PM »
Need help in tank tactics. Not shooting the gun or basic driving. I've been trained twice by two different folks on that, Whiskey and Karnack (?), thanks guys!

Tactics. Ok I got that you should find cover and shut off the engine. I did that while outside an enemy GV center. Someone opened up on me and I couldn't find em before he killed me. So I watched the film. He had his Panther sitting in some kind of bunker, looked like concrete. Didn't even know there was such a thing. How did he see me? There were puffs of smoke coming up from my position. I didn't have my engine on!? How does that work? Does it smoke for a minute or two even after you have shut off the engine? Does it smoke just cause you are turning the turret? (I had a Panzer H.)

So I went into my custom arena to kill some buildings. I know that it takes two HEs to do that. A couple of questions about driving came up because I tried to run over some stuff. What can you run over and what can you not. Small trees but not big ones? Any buildings at all? Is there a way to put the tank in reverse?

Lastly, who has the best tank team on the Knights side? I would like to be there with them so I could see how it is done. I have daytime available right now but don't know how long that will last.

Thanks!
Tex

"If you wanted a glamor picture to send home you sat in a Mustang, when you wanted to come back from a mission you sat in a Thunderbolt."

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
Re: tank tactics?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2012, 04:45:52 PM »
A few things:

- Your tank is smoking if either your engine or your turret has been taken out by enemy fire.
- We can't tell how the enemy did see you as we weren't there. There are countless possibilities. ;) But you may post the film here, so we could take a look´.
- Basically you can't run over anything. Very small brushes are just eyecandy and are simply ignored for movement (and shooting), but any sizeable object is absolutely static and will stop your tank... or worse ;)
- The amount of HE rounds needed for a town building can vary depending on gun being used.
- S gradually slows your tank down, then puts it into reverse

Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline texasfighter

• Copper Member
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2012, 07:13:00 PM »
How do I post a film? Didn't know you could do that. Thanks for all the other answers.

"If you wanted a glamor picture to send home you sat in a Mustang, when you wanted to come back from a mission you sat in a Thunderbolt."

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2012, 07:14:51 PM »
You can go to a place like this http://www.speedyshare.com/ and get a free account. Upload the film and when it give you the link after the upload, copy and paste it here.

Offline texasfighter

• Copper Member
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 07:31:48 PM »
I reviewed the film again. There were two Rook tanks at that GV center. Both were behind the concrete walls. I think the other tank, a T34, saw me first. He opened fire and hit close enough that is caused smoke. I'm betting he called the other guy and said something like, Hey there's a Panzer 4 in the woods to your front. I'm firing at him but can't kill him. Watch where my rounds hit. The smoke started coming up after he fired first. Then the other tank, a Panzer (I said Panther, wrong), opened up on me. The Panzer was closer and I am guessing the German 75 is longer ranged. So he was able to kill me.

Mystery solved. Now I just need an invite from the best Knights tank squad to watch how its done properly. I would be happy to run supplies in too!
Tex

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2012, 11:41:33 AM »
You have to be careful using trees as cover.  Often you'll get into the trees and not be able to see anything as your sight lines are in the foliage but the enemy can see you easily and get shots on the lower portion of your tank.  On the other hand trees are incredibly useful in defense against air attack so using them is sometimes a necessity.  If you are going to use them make sure you're hidden beneath them but with an open field of view toward the enemy ground threat.  If the enemy flanks you it's time to move.

If there's no enemy aircraft about then finding a hull down position behind a hill with only your turret peeking over is best.  In the absence of that I prefer a wide open space for the best field of view.  I'd rather be able to see the enemy even if it means they can see me.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline KG45

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2012, 04:48:30 PM »
if you get in to a stand of trees, find a place you can quickly back out of if you get spotted
all you fascists, you're bound to lose...

Offline Melvin

• Persona Non Grata
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2012, 07:15:43 PM »
Shoot, communicate, move the heck out.

Only spawn campers will sit in one place for an extended period. If you are in a running gun battle, it is important that you change your hide site regularly. This way, the guy you just killed doesn't sneak up to your last known location and kill you.

I like to hide behind the small berms with only enough room to poke my main gun barrel out. If I'm spotted and fired at, I will then put it in reverse and back behind cover while I figure out my next move.

:salute
See Rule #4

Offline Rodent57

• AH Training Corps
  • Nickel Member
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 01:31:38 PM »
Excellent words Melvin!
 :cheers:
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
-AE

Offline texasfighter

• Copper Member
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2012, 10:24:08 AM »
Yes, thisi exact thing happened to me. After it did, I figured out on my own that I might want to change my position the next time. Sometimes you have to weight competing concerns. I was also worried about the other enemy tank out there hearing my engine and shooting me while I moved. But I should have just taken the chance. BTW, is there a post or site that compares the basic tanks performance like there is for the fighter planes?

Only spawn campers will sit in one place for an extended period. If you are in a running gun battle, it is important that you change your hide site regularly. This way, the guy you just killed doesn't sneak up to your last known location and kill you.

Offline Lusche

• Radioactive Member
      • Last.FM Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2012, 07:28:31 PM »
BTW, is there a post or site that compares the basic tanks performance like there is for the fighter planes?

I vaguely remember a few posts here on the BBS, but can't remember the links. But the most important parameters, main gun penetration and armor data can be looked up in game: When in hangar, rightclick on tank of your choice and select "vehicle armor" (or something like that).
Steam: DrKalv
E:D Snailman

Offline texasfighter

• Copper Member
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2012, 09:04:51 AM »
Thansk Lusche! It's amazing all the stuff there is in this game that you never know until you ask the right question. The right click is very useful.

Yesterday I got my first tank kill where it was a toe to toe shoot out and I got the first killing shot in. I was a little annoyed because I got no perk points for it. I was driving a Panzer H, so nothing special there. I drove back to the base and "landed sucessfully." I am on the Knights side so (as best I know) we are never in the majority. Usually outnumbered. I can see why perk points is frustrating for a lot of folks. Bombers making a milk run unopposed get a bunch of perk points. You fight to the death with an equal opponent and you get nothing. Of course I know I am not the first person to say this ..... won't be the last .....

Offline WEZEL

• Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: November 06, 2012, 11:07:56 PM »
texasfighter if you on the Knight's side look me up, I'm usually in some scrappy GV fights.  :devil