Author Topic: Mental Help!  (Read 381 times)

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
Mental Help!
« on: October 30, 2012, 09:07:12 AM »
 :airplane:Turned 79 Friday past and I have finally run into a problem that I can't seem to be able to handle by myself! Been flying since 1948, retired in 2004, have flown through lines of thunderstorms, in and around hurricanes, landed with more ice on aircraft than the book says they will carry, but now I am faced with the woman I love and cherish more than life itself, slowly forgetting who I am and who she is. I have to feed, clothe, bath duties, handle her personal hygiene. ALZHEIMERS has be the cruelest disease in the world!! I discovered this great game about 1 and 1/2 years ago, and when things closed in on me mentally, I could go on line and "lose" my self in the game of Air combat and bombing missions, and have the greatest bunch of guys in my squad giving me support as much as they can, but I have finally gotten to the point that the game no longer gives me the mental relaxation that it once did. I would like to hear from anyone, suggestions on what they have done to help thru their family health problems.
At any rate, please put Barbara Townsend on your prayer lists at your Church. I am a strong believer in prayer and who knows, maybe they will be answered!!
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline JimmyC

• Platinum Member
Re: Mental Help!
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 09:20:07 AM »
 :pray

Some home help for you both?
CO 71 "Eagle" Squadron RAF
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy."

Offline Triton28

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2012, 01:02:38 PM »
http://www.alz.org/

Go here if you haven't already done so.  There's a forum with a specific subcategory for caregivers/spouses.    Remember, grief shared is grief reduced. 

Fighting spirit one must have. Even if a man lacks some of the other qualifications, he can often make up for it in fighting spirit. -Robin Olds
      -AoM-

Offline whiteman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2012, 01:07:54 PM »

Offline ROC

• Aces High CM Staff (Retired)
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2012, 01:49:59 PM »
Earl, it is always a special treat to see you in the air, and wish you all the best with the additional care you need to provide for Barbara.  This community is full of many players who will do all they can to make sure what little time you have available to "play" will be as entertaining and distracting as possible.

Best wishes and extra prayers to not only your dear wife, but to you as well as you struggle with this. 

Now, on to the help you asked about.  The single biggest thing that you have to overcome while "playing" a game is guilt associated with simply having to get away.  You must take the time to play or you will struggle down a path that seems endless.  It's ok to not only need to get away, but want to.  Don't forget, if you are not fresh and healthy, emotionally and physically, you cannot help her.  Care for Barbara, don't forget to care for yourself as well.  You are flying distracted, concerned, and I know you probably think it's childish to be playing when your wife is struggling so much.  You have to get past that, and allow yourself to enjoy a few moments of relief.  Cherish it, lifes burdens are great enough without the inability to recharge your own mind and soul. 

God Speed Sir.
ROC
Nothing clever here.  Please, move along.

Offline Shuffler

• Radioactive Member
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2012, 01:59:22 PM »
Prayers for both you and Barbara.
80th FS "Headhunters"

S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning In A Bottle)

Offline MrGeezer

• Nickel Member
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2012, 02:02:24 PM »
Thoughts & prayers. :pray
Killing Virtual Bad Guys Since 1995  Disabled, retired.

"Posting anything, which says anything positive about anyone, on our board, will always turn into a derogatory mess. It should be a forum posting rule."  Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline RedBull1

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2012, 02:47:37 PM »
 :pray :pray :pray Praying for her Earl  :pray :pray :pray
"There is absolutely no point discussing anything on the BBS, it's mostly populated by people who are right about everything, no one listens and everyone is just talking. People will argue over the shape of an egg." -Anonymous

Offline earl1937

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2012, 03:11:34 PM »
Earl, it is always a special treat to see you in the air, and wish you all the best with the additional care you need to provide for Barbara.  This community is full of many players who will do all they can to make sure what little time you have available to "play" will be as entertaining and distracting as possible.

Best wishes and extra prayers to not only your dear wife, but to you as well as you struggle with this.  

Now, on to the help you asked about.  The single biggest thing that you have to overcome while "playing" a game is guilt associated with simply having to get away.  You must take the time to play or you will struggle down a path that seems endless.  It's ok to not only need to get away, but want to.  Don't forget, if you are not fresh and healthy, emotionally and physically, you cannot help her.  Care for Barbara, don't forget to care for yourself as well.  You are flying distracted, concerned, and I know you probably think it's childish to be playing when your wife is struggling so much.  You have to get past that, and allow yourself to enjoy a few moments of relief.  Cherish it, lifes burdens are great enough without the inability to recharge your own mind and soul.  

God Speed Sir. :airplane: You just helped more than you will know! I had not realized it, but was feeling guilty about enjoying myself, yet watching Barbara cry when she is in her "right" mind, because she knows what is happening to her mind! She was a Reg. Nurse for 29 years and of course had to attend patients which had this and helping her fight depression has been a big battle. She started with "home" health care today, so she is being checked each week and they can let me know which way to go....Just got off the phone with social services and they are going to help to take some pressure off of me....have not been anywhere in 6 years and I need a break, so maybe now that will work out, as it would help me recharge the battries to give Barbara all the care and love she deserves!
Blue Skies and wind at my back and wish that for all!!!

Offline JimmyD3

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2012, 05:43:30 PM »
Earl, I know where your coming from. While my caring was for my mother, she had the same disease. But thanks be to the Lord she remained lucid until the last 3 months. It is an insidious disease that robs them of their memories, loves and family. Fortunately they don't know it.

We will put you and Barbara on our prayer list. May the Lord strengthen you and give you the peace you need, and may He be merciful to Barbara. Above all may His will be accomplished.

Yours in Christ.
Kenai77
CO Sic Puppies MWK
USAF 1971-76

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2012, 06:04:42 PM »
God Speed and Prayers sent to you and you loving wife. :pray :pray

LawnDart
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline CAP1

• Radioactive Member
      • The Axis Vs Allies Arena
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2012, 09:27:49 PM »
:airplane:Turned 79 Friday past and I have finally run into a problem that I can't seem to be able to handle by myself! Been flying since 1948, retired in 2004, have flown through lines of thunderstorms, in and around hurricanes, landed with more ice on aircraft than the book says they will carry, but now I am faced with the woman I love and cherish more than life itself, slowly forgetting who I am and who she is. I have to feed, clothe, bath duties, handle her personal hygiene. ALZHEIMERS has be the cruelest disease in the world!! I discovered this great game about 1 and 1/2 years ago, and when things closed in on me mentally, I could go on line and "lose" my self in the game of Air combat and bombing missions, and have the greatest bunch of guys in my squad giving me support as much as they can, but I have finally gotten to the point that the game no longer gives me the mental relaxation that it once did. I would like to hear from anyone, suggestions on what they have done to help thru their family health problems.
At any rate, please put Barbara Townsend on your prayer lists at your Church. I am a strong believer in prayer and who knows, maybe they will be answered!!
i watched this take my grand pop. it took just over 2 years. my grandmom refused to put him in a home, so he was here with us the whole time.
 it was hard as hell for her, but she stuck with him. what made me feel good, was that sometimes i'd come home from work around 1-130am, and he's in there talking to people that aren't there. i'd come in the room, and try talking to him. almost half the time, he'd come back, and talk to me. it only lasted a few seconds when he did, but i got to bring him back for a bit. grandmom loved seeing that(yes, she was usually still awake when i came home that late).

all i can say is to stick with her. regardless of what appears to be true, she WILL know you're there. being there for/with her, as hard as it's going to be for you, will be the absolute best thing you can do for her.

i don't know what else to say to try to ease your pain.  :pray :pray
ingame 1LTCAP
80th FS "Headhunters"
S.A.P.P.- Secret Association Of P-38 Pilots (Lightning in a Bottle)

Offline Slate

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2012, 10:36:08 AM »
  I will pray for You both.  :pray  It's very tough to deal with tragic illnesses so close to you. We're Dealing with my Mother in Laws Cancer now.

Because of politics research into Marijuana's benefits has been pushed aside. But several studies show it's benefits to slow the disease. I don't know if it's helpful in your situation as I'm not a Doctor.

www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15145917/ns/health-alzheimers_disease/t/marijuana-may-help-stave-alzheimers/
I always wanted to fight an impossible battle against incredible odds.

Offline Hap

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2012, 10:48:47 AM »

My heart goes out to you, Earl.  Same thing happened to Mom.

Offline Klam

• Copper Member
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2012, 01:07:39 PM »
Thoughts and prayers to you and your wife Sir.  I have seen what happens when someone you have spent your life with
is slowly fading out.  Be good to yourself as well as your wife.
She won't grudge you a little time to refresh yourself. 
I hope you can both find the help you need.

<S>
=Anglo-Saxon=

ingame ID: Petrol