Author Topic: Point suggestion  (Read 1545 times)

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
Re: Point suggestion
« Reply #30 on: November 16, 2012, 10:59:56 AM »
...what's the point of having killshooter off...

I was always under the impression that having KillShooter OFF had nothing whatever to do with scoring points, but that the point was this: you have to be careful.

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline cohofly

• Copper Member
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2012, 11:10:49 AM »
Dont get me wrong Bino, Im all for Killshooter off, . My point was, if there is no penalty then it may as well be on, then at least the shooter is the only one affected.
Carver CO -55thFg/38thFS-
"Heinie Honking and LocoBusting"

Offline Devil 505

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2012, 11:38:04 AM »
As a member of one of the notorious gangers in the game sukov  :rofl I can see why you would be intimidated by this idea.  :neener:
He wasn't questioning your idea, but your poor English skills. 
Kommando Nowotny

FlyKommando.com

Offline ImADot

• Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2012, 11:55:40 AM »
The scoring of friendly-fire deaths is ultimately up to each admin who designs/scores their event. Speaking as a player, I think it would be fair for friendly-fire deaths to award the aircraft's points to the enemy. That should be the incentive to be careful when shooting.
My Current Rig:
GigaByte GA-X99-UD4 Mobo w/ 16Gb RAM
Intel i7 5820k, Win7 64-bit
NVidia GTX 970 4Gb ACX 2.0
Track IR, CH Fighterstick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals

Offline MachNix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2012, 12:59:09 PM »
If I up my squad of 5 and shoot down 4 of them, those are points taken away from the total. Opposition gets none, we lose none. However................... later in the frame those who were shot down by me may have been killed by the enemy. Potential points taken away=oppostion penalized.

By the statement above you are saying that the other 4 guys on your squad are just cannon fodder for the enemy and have absolutely no chance of scoring any points on their own.  They don't even have the ability to land successfully to collect a landing bonus if there was one.  If you feel you have a better chance engaging an enemy squad of five solo then with the other four on your squad, then yes maybe a penalty should be given since the other four are such a handicap, and you shooting them yourself would be considered cheating.  But I'm not sure that is what you meant to say.

Also consider that both sides see about the same number of friendly fire incidents, and the effort of assessing and assigning penalties may not be worth it.

Offline cohofly

• Copper Member
« Reply #35 on: November 16, 2012, 01:29:26 PM »
By the statement above you are saying that the other 4 guys on your squad are just cannon fodder for the enemy and have absolutely no chance of scoring any points on their own.  They don't even have the ability to land successfully to collect a landing bonus if there was one.  If you feel you have a better chance engaging an enemy squad of five solo then with the other four on your squad, then yes maybe a penalty should be given since the other four are such a handicap, and you shooting them yourself would be considered cheating.  But I'm not sure that is what you meant to say.

Also consider that both sides see about the same number of friendly fire incidents, and the effort of assessing and assigning penalties may not be worth it.

Is this considered cheating now??? Im sure it goes aganst the "spirit" of FSO (This is a slippery slope issue, so perhaps the penalty would discourage it from happening often)

It may be worth the effort to assess and assign the penalties. Its a point based game and who knows, maybe those points would decide the frame.
Carver CO -55thFg/38thFS-
"Heinie Honking and LocoBusting"

Offline MachNix

• Nickel Member
« Reply #36 on: November 16, 2012, 05:13:37 PM »
Was not your reason for shooting your own squad down to deny the enemy the points for shooting them down themselves, and therefore a penalty should be given?  Apparently the amount of points the others in your squad could have earned is insufficient incentive for you not to kill them.  Well, you know the guys in your squad better then I do so I can not deny your logic.  :cheers:

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #37 on: November 16, 2012, 05:16:09 PM »
Was not your reason for shooting your own squad down to deny the enemy the points for shooting them down themselves, and therefore a penalty should be given?  Apparently the amount of points the others in your squad could have earned is insufficient incentive for you not to kill them.  Well, you know the guys in your squad better then I do so I can not deny your logic.  :cheers:

Really I do not think this is a problem.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."

Offline Viper61

• Nickel Member
« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2012, 08:19:01 PM »
I vote no to assessing points on this issue.  Don't forget you don't have to shoot the AC down to be assessed the kill.  Example a new guy lets say on the younger side sprays and prays in a close box formation and hits but doesn't really do much damage to the bombers around him and then enemy fighters show up and finish the job.  It is likely that that gunner would get some or most of the kills even through he didn't shoot them down.  We have all been puzzled at times about how the game scores a kill and to who even though you expend all your ammo into a AC, but done after someone else has fired first.

Leave the "game" alone and enjoy the funny things when they happen.  Like the night a guy in my squads upped on the runway at mission launch at the same time 3 other squads all launched and his trigger was stuck and he opened up and killed about 20 AC.  Had the most kills that night in the logs, but never lived it down internally.  :rofl

Keep the "game" simple and we'll all have more fun.  <S>

Offline surfinn

• Nickel Member
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2012, 09:09:19 PM »
ya lots of  :ahand from those who think they are going to be negatively affected by this idea. Cofofly said it best I think.  :cheers: Oh and it is easy to score, I think viper one way or the other.  Heck most of ya didn't even know that the ac shot down by a friendly was scored as a Zero until this post :rofl
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 09:17:52 PM by surfinn »