Author Topic: The big Guns (artillery)  (Read 484 times)

Offline texasfighter

• Copper Member
The big Guns (artillery)
« on: November 08, 2012, 08:11:43 AM »
How to you range with the big guns like 8" or 5"? I know how to click on a base or town on the map so the range and bearing will be displayed. But how do you range on ships? I got lucky the other day when our CV group was being targeted by an enemy CV group. I managed to hit their carrier which persuaded them to back off. However, it took me awhile using the over and under splashes. It would have helped if I could get a range somehow. Another guy came in on a different occassion and said "they are at 9k". I should have asked him how he knew but we were a little busy trying to save the ships and then he left. Is there a way to range with ships guns? Or is it like tanks where you have to estimate based on the size of the object in your viewer?

Also, when firing at a base or town, is there any way to adjust your fire to be more accurate? Other guys say things like I knocked down the VH. I don't think I ever get messages like that. Or is it just firing up and down the given range? I just try to match the range and bearing and fire away.
Thanks!
Tex

"If you wanted a glamor picture to send home you sat in a Mustang, when you wanted to come back from a mission you sat in a Thunderbolt."

Offline Rodent57

• AH Training Corps
  • Nickel Member
Re: The big Guns (artillery)
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 11:02:36 AM »
Texas,

What I can tell you so far...

In simple terms:

When you enter Land or Sea modes, the system gives you a "Gun Director" (the Yellow Grid).  It is compensating for your ownship travel and showing you where the rounds are going to hit for a given range.  Said differently, it is showing you the projected, vector-corrected, sightline to the impact point you have selected to incorporate your ship's direction of travel on the rounds.

Attempt to put the bottom of the Gun Director at the range of your target (For ships, I use the waterline).   I've noticed that your graphics card and a bunch of computer-geek 3D rendering effects seems to make this a tad sketchy, and some people seem to be able to see these things more clearly than others, but do your best.

For a SEA target (other boats): You change the range (long/short) and azimuth and try to figure out where your target is going to be one 'Time of Flight' from when you pull the trigger (means to pull some lead).  Aim there, squeeze, sip your beverage, and wait for the impacts -- adjust next shot.     :joystick:

NOTE: IF you get a hit, DON'T change anything until you've had a chance to read out the currently displayed range to your fellow gunners (That's how they know the range)...Also, (I think obviously) if you are shooting at a boat, both you and it are moving, so you will have to adjust your next shot to compensate for those motions.

I'm sure there are lots of techniques out there, but this should get you started.

Good hunting!

-Rodent57

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new
Setting an example is not the main means of influencing others; it is the only means
-AE