Author Topic: Roll tactic(s) help  (Read 2506 times)

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
Re: Roll tactic(s) help
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2012, 11:25:30 AM »
Rolling scissors in a 190A5 is doable for a two turns against a skilled pilot. Unskilled I will go round after round with no worries. I've killed 109s, -51s, etc stall fighting the verticle against noobs. I really enjoy it.

You can normally tell after one turn the skill level on the other side. If they know what they are doing I'll roll with them a second time to try and get a snap shot. Not shot, I drop my nose disengage and reset.

Gotta love those knife fights!

Boo

PS From what I see the learning curve is steep to get to the upper 90th percentile. From there it seems the learning is always taking place.
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #31 on: November 16, 2012, 12:09:26 AM »
Sorry If I haven't searched the threads with the proper phrasing and this is repetitive. If someone with really good links to video/walkthrough/explanations regarding using roll tactics would post them up I'd really appreciate it. I have watched numerous videos on youtube and other places that claim they illustrate rolling scissors etc. really well only to find that the video leaves me often more confused.

Thanks.

Good Evening RotBaron,
I am not sure if you have seen the two (2) threads below that are here in this "Help & Training" forum...... so I figured I should post links to them, just incase you have not seen or found them in your search for help/info....

First, I would recommend working on the "Barrel Roll Defense" maneuver, to defend from a plane attacking you from anywhere in your 5,6,7 o'clock (level to high) view..... one should practice this maneuver continously to become profficient and use it as a stepping stone to advance one's self in their ability to take the next step toward working into the "Rolling Scissors" maneuver , in which , again, I recommend for them to continously practice the rolling scissors to become profficient in utilizing the rolling scissors to win the end game, so to speak

Barrel Roll Defense - Help & Training thread: ( thread was originally titled "Teaching Aid" )
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,173151.0.html  

Rolling Scissors (Training Animation)  - Help & Training thread:
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,184939.0.html  

( Please note: the linked avi files needs to fully load, so give them time to load ( some are in the thread / some are linked )...  you can click & watch the linked avi's in a new web browser window or also via Windows Media Player or VLC player , etc.......... or even right click and download to your HD )
NOTE: feel free to comment in these threads if you have any questions, it is ok to post in them even though it might give you a warning that noone has posted to the threads in over 30 days.......

now regarding the "Scissors maneuver or also known as "Flat Scissors", here is a link indirectly related..... although it is originally talking about snap rolls in the F4U, it does have some info on scissors ( flat scissors ) maneuvering

Snap Roll question - F4U - Help & Training thread:
http://bbs.hitechcreations.com/smf/index.php/topic,183449.0.html

even though these 3 links/threads are talking about or show F4U series of planes, the information is relevant or in some cases parts of the threads are relevant to most all planes in the game.....

Hope this is Helpful,  :salute

TC ( Johnny )
« Last Edit: November 16, 2012, 12:12:19 AM by TequilaChaser »
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline BaldEagl

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2012, 12:59:46 AM »
The 190 roll rate is amazing compared to other aircraft in the game.  It can roll on it's horizontal axis at will in a perfectly straight line and much faster than any other aircraft.  This in itself does little to help you in a defensive situation although it's ability to stay out of plane with your opponent is usefull even when flying a straight line.  In this case the 190 bleeds little to no E while every other fighter does.  If the bogey on your tail is still far enough away and bites to stay in plane  you can use this to slowly bleed his E and possibly escape.

The next best scenario is to use your roll rate to quickly change direction.  This is where the flat scissors recommendations come from but don't stay in a flat scissor.  Use three dimensions to force the overshoot.  Turn minimally after your roll.  Remember the opponent burns more E than you in the roll itself but you burn more E than him in the turn regardless of what he's flying.  Quick changes in direction with slight turns then repeat until he flys by.

If you really feel compelled to go into a rolling scissors you'll have to use rudder to assist, bleeding tons of E and leaving yourself vulnerable if you misjudge.  If you make this decision I'd recommend having plenty of alt to either hold speed (best case) or gather it afterward.

The final resort is to chop throttle and go into a rolling scissor.  You might catch your opponent by surprise.

If you have the E advantage you have many more options.  In that case I like to take the fight vertical, roll and turn back into my attacker.  This can be done with or without flaps depending on the situation.

190's as mentioned are not good stall fighters nor are they good turn fighters and the nuances of effectively utilizing their roll rates are subtle but can be effective.

In the last scenario, DGSII, I forced three P-51's in a row to overshoot in the first frame using my roll advantage (FW190A-8), killing one (should have been two) in a five on one battle before I was overwhelmed.  I think it was frame 3 when I held off a P-51 without taking a single hit for what seemed like several minutes while I successfully reached the bomber stream.

190's aren't for the feint hearted.  Good luck.
I edit a lot of my posts.  Get used to it.

Offline titanic3

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2012, 06:14:57 AM »

190's aren't for the feint hearted.  Good luck.

Well the Dora is.  :old:

the game is concentrated on combat, not on shaking the screen.

semp

Offline Debrody

• Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: November 16, 2012, 06:16:13 AM »
AoM
City of ice