Author Topic: Custom Sounds 101  (Read 1129 times)

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
Custom Sounds 101
« on: November 20, 2012, 10:43:48 AM »
Where can I find the basic information about custom sounds?

Here are some examples of what I'm looking for:

Within the Aces High sound controls, one can change the volume of the "check six!" sound.  Also listed on the info for that sound is the file name "check6".  That file name has no three-character extension on the control screen.  Can it *only* be "wav"?  What are the detailed specs for any AH "wav" file?  And where are the default sounds?  I cannot find a "sound.res" file in my AH directory.

Please don't give a detailed answer here on the BBS to these particular questions. Please just point me to the documentation.  Thanks!   :salute

"The plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'." - Randy Pausch

PC Specs

Offline MrKrabs

• Gold Member
      • AH-Freebirds.com
Re: Custom Sounds 101
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2012, 03:05:18 PM »
Default sounds are always top-level in your sounds directory...

Custom sounds for individual planes will only take effect if the directory of the same name as the model is present...

Yes.. Best to .wav

If you want detailed-detailed specs about the sounds... You don't use the in-game controls... Open your Aces High folder, find a sound file you wish to inspect, right-click, and properties...

And last but not least... Check6 sound file is specific to every model... Which is merely copied to every model directory... And in turn not really a default sound...
The boiling pot is put away and the crab has gone back to sea...

Offline USRanger

• AvA Staff Member
  • Plutonium Member
      • BoP Home
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2012, 09:57:42 PM »
Custom sounds need to be 8 or 16-bit, 22Khz, mono or stereo .wav, except for the title music, which is an .mp3.

Check6 is a global sound unless dropped into individual plane folder, making it plane or GV specific, like any other custom sound.

:salute
Axis vs Allies Staff Member
☩ JG11 Sonderstaffel ☩
Flying 'Black[Death] 10' ☩JG11☩

Only the Proud, Only the Strong Ne Desit Virtus

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2012, 05:09:31 AM »
Thanks, gents, but the one and only file in my "\sounds\" folder is a text file named "cleaned.txt" which contains this:

Token file for removing old files

Isn't there anyplace where I can read up on the official info about AH sounds? 

PC Specs

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2012, 10:41:21 AM »
AH sound files are part of the game. If you want custom sounds you add them to the sounds folder and the game will use them instead of the original sounds.

Someone post the type of file you need for the game to play it. Download and install one of the custom packs and you will have all the correct file.names and the structure to save the new sounds under.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2012, 01:46:16 PM »
Sounds that cycle should be .wav type while sounds that play once and stop can be .mp3 type. The last official word I got about mp3s is that they are not fully implemented yet (something to that effect).

Pull up your clipboard and go into the area where you can adjust the volume of each sound (Options/Preferences/Game Sounds/Advanced) and on that flyout the center column tells you the file name the game uses.

Probably you are going to try to use sounds from television the movies or youtube? You can do that for yourself but you cannot share them because of copyright. Also they make rather poor sounds because they have already got reduced quality (playback sampling rates for .mpeg or what have you) and so mixing sounds will give poor results. If you intend to generate or record your own sounds then get ready to spend a lot of money.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Bino

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2012, 03:17:47 PM »
I'm trying to help a friend solve an issue that *seems* to be related to an install gone bad of some sort of custom sounds.  And this is a remote support call, with all that entails.

Thanks very much, you guys.  :salute

PS:
I infer from the replies that an official HTC *document* on custom sounds does not exist.  Oh, well...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 03:19:23 PM by Bino »

PC Specs

Offline The Fugitive

• Plutonium Member
      • Fugi's Aces Help
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2012, 04:24:30 PM »
If you have him remove the sounds fold to the desktop and then restart the game it will make a new sounds folder buy it won't add any sounds. Doing this clears ALL custom sounds out of the equation for trouble shooting.

As for installing a set I think each of the stickied threads for sound pack have instruction on how to install them.

Offline TwinBoom

• Gold Member
      • 39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 05:44:33 PM »
He probably deleted the stock "soundres" file Aces high will not work without it.
Chalenge mp3's will work but due to size they are not feasible. They also tax the HD more from what i heard. 
TBs Sounds 
39th FS "Cobra In The Clouds"NOSEART

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2012, 04:57:11 PM »
He probably deleted the stock "soundres" file Aces high will not work without it.

Actually he had someone setup AH for him as he isnt computer savy,they installed a custom sound set that did not include a check6 sound.I assune whoever made the sounds thought that a player would leave the ingame check6 alone or use a custom 1 of their choice.

Regaurdless the player has no check6 sound and both Bino and I have been trying to find a simple solution to help this player out. So if anyone can help or knows a way to make it easy to restore the check6 plz tell us how.

Otherwise I will have to walk him through a reinstall,save his settings folder, and I'm not too sure if he's up to doing that.

TIA

:salute

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2012, 05:21:56 PM »
Chalenge mp3's will work but due to size they are not feasible. They also tax the HD more from what i heard. 

The problem is not the size of the MP3s which make them even more feasible since they can be moved and manipulated more readily. The problem *can* be hard drive access time but since you play them once and move on it is not an issue. Often times the primary issue with MP3s is that they can be created in such a way that the sound itself is not properly formatted. That goes along with anything else though. . . if you dont know what you are doing. . .
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.