Author Topic: Ubuntu  (Read 5373 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Ubuntu
« Reply #105 on: December 09, 2012, 10:00:46 AM »
Just a side note, if you're running Ubuntu, you should adjust privacy settings

http://www.fsf.org/blogs/rms/ubuntu-spyware-what-to-do

What a horrible article. In reality you just need to uninstall 2 packages if you're worried about tracking. And the search works in the Unity - doesn't apply to Xubuntu I recommended.

Even with Unity it can be disabled from settings:

Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #106 on: December 09, 2012, 01:52:04 PM »
What a horrible article. In reality you just need to uninstall 2 packages if you're worried about tracking. And the search works in the Unity - doesn't apply to Xubuntu I recommended.

Even with Unity it can be disabled from settings:

(Image removed from quote.)

So you disapprove of GNU founder and approve of Canonical default 'adware' installs on GNU GPL licensed software? It's not that Canonical didn't sin before and as it looks like, it is not the last time either.
Remember Canonical's tracking of Ubuntu installs?

What do you get when you ignore little things like that? You get Open Office (before handed over to Apache F.), MySQL, RHE, etc. But no worries, you can always uninstall those and switch to Libre, MariaDB and CentOS, right? Well, that shouldn't be an argument at all, otherwise you could just stick with Microsoft and Apple.

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #107 on: December 09, 2012, 10:22:52 PM »
Just installed Mint14 64bit and I gotta say I like it. Still cant get my work programs to run so I have to reinstall W7Pro but I think I will dual boot to LM14 :banana:

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #108 on: December 10, 2012, 09:47:17 AM »
So you disapprove of GNU founder and approve of Canonical default 'adware' installs on GNU GPL licensed software? It's not that Canonical didn't sin before and as it looks like, it is not the last time either.
Remember Canonical's tracking of Ubuntu installs?

What do you get when you ignore little things like that? You get Open Office (before handed over to Apache F.), MySQL, RHE, etc. But no worries, you can always uninstall those and switch to Libre, MariaDB and CentOS, right? Well, that shouldn't be an argument at all, otherwise you could just stick with Microsoft and Apple.

I'm not a FOSS nazi. If the price for getting the computer to work optimally is having to use closed code, so be it. As long as it does and doesn't add up the cost.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline TequilaChaser

• AH Training Corps - Retired
  • Plutonium Member
      • The Damned - founded by Ptero in 1988
« Reply #109 on: December 10, 2012, 12:56:32 PM »
I was going to post this news article about Ubuntu, but seems bighorn beat me to it...... with the main source

http://www.neowin.net/news/richard-stallman-accuses-ubuntu-of-spying-on-users

I do find a little humor in the comments ....... also, disabling this stuff could have an adverse effect on other abilities of said software

TC
"When one considers just what they should say to a new pilot who is logging in Aces High, the mind becomes confused in the complex maze of info it is necessary for the new player to know. All of it is important; most of it vital; and all of it just too much for one brain to absorb in 1-2 lessons" TC

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #110 on: December 10, 2012, 10:49:19 PM »
I was going to post this news article about Ubuntu, but seems bighorn beat me to it...... with the main source

http://www.neowin.net/news/richard-stallman-accuses-ubuntu-of-spying-on-users

I do find a little humor in the comments ....... also, disabling this stuff could have an adverse effect on other abilities of said software

TC

Just use Xubuntu which doesn't have any of that Unity crap. Unity degrades performance in other ways also, it's just horrible.

Offline Charge

• Gold Member
« Reply #111 on: December 11, 2012, 03:43:03 AM »
I didn't like Ubuntu's default GUI too much, switched to KDE and now its all right.

-C+
"When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a giant meteor hurtling to the earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much screwed no matter what you wish for. Unless of course, it's death by meteorite."