Author Topic: The specs of my old system , is it enough? Please advise an old flyer.  (Read 441 times)

Offline miraj

• Copper Member
Here are the specs of my 5 year old system , I am ready for any upgrades.

Intel Core 2 Duo 64bit 2.04mhz dual processors

2048mb ram

Video 512mb 7950 Nvdia PCI Express 16

and a 'big' power supply.

I assume a new video card will be required.
My HOTAS has Hall sensors . Is that still state-of-the-art? The joystick is VERY important to me , and I do want the best.

Here is a pic of the old cockpit.

Please advise.

Offline tunnelrat

• Silver Member
Re: The specs of my old system , is it enough? Please advise an old flyer.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 10:23:00 AM »
Your HOTAS/Rudder setup is top of the line (Unless you go to a Warthog, but I've no idea how it truly compares to a Fighterstick).

Monitor is awesome, the COCKPIT itself is 10/10, great keyboard, meh mouse (Get a Cyborg Rat, you'll thank a brotha for this tip).

As far as your frame rate goes, honestly you've got a better rig than a lot of players.  Your graphics card is definitely the weakest link, but it's not horrid.  I would turn off shadows, take off in offline, hit CTRL-I to see your frame rate, and just bounce all the drones in the carousel.  Keep an eye on your FR... glance left/right/up/etc plenty, and each time you do, watch your FR.

One thing you want to do though is stop playing in your skivvy drawers... you're leaving a swamp crotch skidmark on your chair... maybe dust the boys with some powder or something before you get so excited!

In-Game: 80hd
The Spartans do not enquire how many the enemy are but where they are.

Offline Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2012, 10:42:25 AM »
It looks like your computer is well balanced, although none of the components seem to be from the highest end of the era. If you only change one component, you are likely to get a bottleneck somewhere else. You didn't mention your operating system. If you're running XP, then the amount of RAM is sufficient, with Vista I'd double it.

My advice is, that you set the settings low, increasing the eye candy one step at a time to see how far you can go without sacrifying playability. Waffle's video settings tips is a good starting point. If you're satisfied with what you get, play with your current rig until you aren't any more. In any case, your next upgrade is a totally new computer.

That HOTAS looks as good as any. If it works, don't change it. Hall sensors don't wear out like pots do, so it shouldn't be spiking. Again, test your old before buying a new one. This board has lots of threads about joysticks and controller combos, each getting both pros and cons. Sticks, throttles and pedals haven't been developing since the invention of USB, so there's nothing you couldn't do with the old ones.

Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline miraj

• Copper Member
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2012, 09:18:09 AM »
Many thanks for the proper advice.

Here is what I upgraded to:

Quad core i5, 8 gig ram
2 gig video radon 7850
750 watt power supply

It seemed to still take a long while to download all of the skins.

I am now looking to replace the small supplemental keyboard to the left of my throttle , some soda was spilled on it a while back. Is there a favorite for the purpose of landing gear,engine management,bail out,etc etc.? Currently using a small 4 inch x 6 inch Nostromo,it has worked ok in the past , but not great. Is there something of similar size ?

Also , there seems to be many choices on sound packs to use. Which one is the best?

Offline Pand

• Silver Member
      • Pand's Fighter Wing
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2012, 09:47:54 AM »
I'd recommend throwing in a Cougar MFD on each side (one near throttle and one near stick)... will allow you to map and macro just like any other button on your Thrustmaster Cougar through the TARGET software.

Have them and love them -  $69 for the pair.

http://www.nextwarehouse.com/item/?935364_g10e

Regards,

Pandemonium
"HORDE not HOARD. Unless someone has a dragon sitting on top of a bunch of La7s somewhere." -80hd

Offline miraj

• Copper Member
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2012, 01:28:53 PM »
I'd recommend throwing in a Cougar MFD on each side (one near throttle and one near stick)... will allow you to map and macro just like any other button on your Thrustmaster Cougar through the TARGET software.

Have them and love them -  $69 for the pair.

http://www.nextwarehouse.com/item/?935364_g10e

I'm sorry, 'TARGET' software ? 
Could I just plug in, map a few keys, and go ?

Offline Pand

• Silver Member
      • Pand's Fighter Wing
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2012, 01:52:09 PM »
I'm sorry, 'TARGET' software ? 
Could I just plug in, map a few keys, and go ?
TARGET is the Thrustmaster programming software.  You could assign those buttons to specific Aces High functions, but you lose 75% of the potential functionality, like setting macros, axis programming, sequences, shift/paddle abilities, etc.

I use single button presses for the following today:
Setting Salvo
Setting Auto-Speed
Setting/Changing Voice Channels
Downtime commands
Single switch for Plane-type Icon modes to back to normal

Axis Programming:
Having WEP auto-engage after the full-throttle axis detent
Having Engine Off command at the lowest setting on my RPM slider.
Having LED indicators to let me know when I am not running at full RPM on my MFD (after utilizing max-cruise for fuel savings).
All Lighting effects on the MFDs themselves or on/off when not in use.

Shift and Paddle:
Also, the software allows you to use a "shift" button, so all buttons can be reprogrammed for a different function when shift is pressed.  Example... my Secondary Weapon button (used for firing rockets and bombs), is utilized in the shift-function to 'select' which secondary weapon to use.  The Software also allows you to use the 3 position "paddle" button for different modes... full set of mapped buttons when in Paddle position 1, 2, and 3. 

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Pandemonium
"HORDE not HOARD. Unless someone has a dragon sitting on top of a bunch of La7s somewhere." -80hd