Author Topic: Here it is...  (Read 1815 times)

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
Here it is...
« on: December 04, 2012, 10:19:55 AM »
Well, a fair number of people keep asking me about my new computer.  So, here it is.  I want to note that this should not be construed as product endorsement.

I have two specific requirements for my home computer.  One is video editing/encoding.  The other is 3D rendering, via ray trace.  I decided, from the start, I would not be overclocking this computer.  I also decided this one would need to last for a good eight years.  I also needed this computer to be very quiet.

Computer Case: Antec 900
Power Supply: Seasonic X-850 Watt
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth Z77
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K
Heat Sink: Noctua NH-D14
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws Z Series 16GB
Hard drives: 4) Seagate 1TB Disks
DVD Burner: Sony Optiarc DVD Burner
Blue Ray Burner: ASUS Blu-Ray Burner
Video Card: Sapphire 7950
Monitor: NEC 27" IPS Panel
Sound Card: ASUS Xonar Essence STX
Keyboard: DAS Professional Keyboard
Mouse: Microsoft Intellimouse 3.0

It all went together nicely and runs well.  The CPU cooler is massive, but well made.  Clears all the motherboard and RAM components and does not crowd the video card.  Quiet, very quiet.

The video card is quiet as well.

Video rendering is over four times faster than my previous overclocked E8400 CPU.

I have not tried the game yet.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 04:13:03 PM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Here it is...
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2012, 10:43:20 AM »
nice, I need a system like that :(

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2012, 10:49:01 AM »
Took me five years to save up for that one.  I kept a spreadsheet of the products I wanted. As time went by, I kept it updated to what I wanted.  I kept putting money into the toy fund until I could afford to get exactly what I wanted.

In the past I compromised on my computers.  This is the first one I have built that I refused to compromise on my goals.  It will not win any bragging rights, but it is exactly what I wanted.

It was worth it.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 10:51:23 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline ink

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2012, 10:55:51 AM »
Ill bet it is.....

I am still using an old Duel core 2.9 GHZ with a 4830....imagine what happens when my models in Blender get up over 1million verts....it is a slide show haha...then when I try to render......it just crashes......

although I have found with comps there are always was around....now I am breaking up the models and sculpting it a piece at a time and rendering it out that way, takes longer but worth it.....

I would be able to sculpt anything with that system...... maybe when the kids are all grown up..... :rofl

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2012, 10:57:06 AM »
How many fans are in it? Hopefully they are some nice Scythe ones or similar...I've always wondered about the NZXT cases they advertise to be very quiet with the foam inside...have you eve thought about them?
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2012, 11:03:42 AM »
The Antec 900 has two 120mm front fans, one 140mm top fan and one 120mm rear exhaust fan.  There is an option for a 120mm side panel fan, but the heat sink does block that one.

I replaced all the Antec fans with fans from Noctua.  I cannot hear any of them.

There is a gentle whoosh from the case and that is all the noise there is.  Quite pleasant, actually.

EDIT:  I should say, there are better enthusiast cases out there.  This case happens to fit into the hole I have for it and still allow enough space around it for airflow.  While I do not feel I compromised on my goals, I did not desert price/performance expectations either.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 11:11:38 AM by Skuzzy »
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline Spikes

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
    • Twitch: Twitch Feed
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2012, 11:14:01 AM »
Good stuff...how much were the Noctua fans? I need to do something about my tower...it sounds like I am sitting next to an Abrams.

I think most of it is the video card, but I am nervous to mod it with a different fan or heatsink.
i7-12700k | Gigabyte Z690 GAMING X | 64GB G.Skill DDR4 | EVGA 1080ti FTW3 | H150i Capellix

FlyKommando.com

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2012, 11:14:40 AM »
Hmm. I must have missed your OEM copy of windows 8  :lol

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 11:24:37 AM »
Hmm. I must have missed your OEM copy of windows 8  :lol

I dual boot Windows 7 64bit and Windows XP.  When Microsoft drops support for Windows 7, I will wipe it all out and go with Linux.  I am already making those plans.

Good stuff...how much were the Noctua fans? I need to do something about my tower...it sounds like I am sitting next to an Abrams.

I think most of it is the video card, but I am nervous to mod it with a different fan or heatsink.

These are the 120mm fans I used: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608009
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Online Bizman

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 12:36:52 PM »
You say you got Sapphire HD7950 but the link leads to HD7770. Which one did you get?
Quote from: BaldEagl, applies to myself, too
I've got an older system by today's standards that still runs the game well by my standards.

Kotisivuni

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 12:40:46 PM »
You say you got Sapphire HD7950 but the link leads to HD7770. Which one did you get?

Oops.  Wrong link.  Fixed.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese

Offline ebfd11

• Platinum Member
      • [b]POTW[/b]
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 04:49:24 PM »
Skuzzy

I got the EVGA z77 FTW mother board and I still am using my i5 2500k ... Tried the i7 2600k in it and it seemed to slow down ALOT. Can you suggest a good CPU for this MB????

CrazyLwn
PIGS ON THE WING 3RD WING

InGame id: LawnDart
RIP Skullman Potzie and BentNail

Offline Bruv119

• Aces High CM Staff
  • Plutonium Member
      • http://www.thefewsquadron.co.uk
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 05:07:20 PM »
have had the antec 900 case for 6 years and it hasn't fried any components in all that time surprising they are still selling it!  The huge top fan is the business as heat rises. 

Am looking at a new board / processor / ram combo for a cheap fix up are there any advantages over the 2011 socket compared to 1155?   Price wise the I7's are the same but the 1155 boards are half the price what gives?   
The Few ***
F.P.H

Offline DREDIOCK

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2012, 07:54:01 PM »
I tally that at a mere $3,090.65
Thats 3,307.00 if you live in New Jersey  after sales taxes.

Damn cheapskate. LMAO

But you should be able to run a game of Pong or Stargate on that if you turn your in game graphic settings down and get maybe 20-25 FPS I wouldnt try to do much else with it if I were you though   :neener:

Seriously though. Damn nice looking system. I see you did leave yourself open the option to OC though. Lets see how long you can resist LOL

Howd you like the modular PSU? I thought you werent a big fan of modular?

Not being critical. Just wondering
Death is no easy answer
For those who wish to know
Ask those who have been before you
What fate the future holds
It ain't pretty

Offline cattb

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2012, 09:03:59 PM »
have had the antec 900 case for 6 years and it hasn't fried any components in all that time surprising they are still selling it!  The huge top fan is the business as heat rises. 

Am looking at a new board / processor / ram combo for a cheap fix up are there any advantages over the 2011 socket compared to 1155?   Price wise the I7's are the same but the 1155 boards are half the price what gives?   

Bruv,
 Not to be a smart azz, did you try google    2011 socket compared to 1155     I see there is many articles. I am sure thre is bits and pieces of info there.  I imagine from jsut memory the 1155 will be cheaper.
:Salute Easy8 EEK GUS Betty