Author Topic: Question about SSD  (Read 2374 times)

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
Re: Question about SSD
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2012, 09:49:28 AM »
How would i uninstall from c drive and keep it on f drive?

Just copy or move the whole AH2 folder. You may need to recreate your shortcuts on desktop.
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline numb1

• Copper Member
« Reply #16 on: December 10, 2012, 02:20:24 PM »
I have SSD mirrored on my hd so i guess i can just delete from my ssd?
I5-3570k,Asus Sabertooth,Corsair H100i,Corsair AX850,Two His IceQX2 7950 boost cards in crossfire,Cooler master Storm Stryker case,Western Digital 1tb HD,Intel 180gb SSD,Qnix 27in 1440p PLS OCed to 120hz monitor

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2012, 10:48:09 PM »
I have SSD mirrored on my hd so i guess i can just delete from my ssd?

Not if you have it mirrored, then you'll lose both copies naturally.

Why do you want to delete it from the ssd?
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Tac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2012, 08:51:16 AM »

Offline numb1

• Copper Member
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2012, 04:44:10 PM »
I am not running raid and i already fixed the shortcut.Why keep it there if i am not gonna use it.Also i noticed that when playing again on my HD that sometimes when theres alot of ground detail to load it freezes for just a half a second to load those from HD.It did not do that from my SSD.So should i just delete the files to get more space?
I5-3570k,Asus Sabertooth,Corsair H100i,Corsair AX850,Two His IceQX2 7950 boost cards in crossfire,Cooler master Storm Stryker case,Western Digital 1tb HD,Intel 180gb SSD,Qnix 27in 1440p PLS OCed to 120hz monitor

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2012, 08:03:21 AM »
I am not running raid and i already fixed the shortcut.Why keep it there if i am not gonna use it.Also i noticed that when playing again on my HD that sometimes when theres alot of ground detail to load it freezes for just a half a second to load those from HD.It did not do that from my SSD.So should i just delete the files to get more space?

Why would you want to delete your files from the SSD if you have problems running AH from the hdd? I don't get it.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2012, 08:56:13 AM »
I do not get why you would have any problems running Aces High from the hard drive, unless you are running other programs which interfere with file access (any anti-xxx software at all).
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline save

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2013, 02:54:45 AM »
Hi all,
some tweaks for SSD drives for windows 7  :

http://www.overclock.net/t/1133897/windows-7-ssd-tweaking-guide

Some tweaks might be useful for most, but not for all.

I have made most changes listed, and backup my system with Ghost program.

My ammo last for 6 Lancasters, or one Yak3.
"And the Yak 3 ,aka the "flying Yamato"..."
-Caldera

Offline SilverZ06

• Silver Member
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2013, 04:34:38 PM »
You can free up a lot of space from your windows installation by removing the system restore and running ccleaner to get rid fo backups and old service packs etc. Savings of several gigabytes are easily possible. Of course with your track record with the Ubuntu installation, perhaps it's just easyer to get the larger drive instead ;)

Just an FYI, I stopped the hibernation and lowered my page file (was 16gb now 1gb) and my 64g SSD now has 25GB of free storage instead of being within 3GB of maxed out. Running great.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2013, 04:53:34 PM »
Just an FYI, I stopped the hibernation and lowered my page file (was 16gb now 1gb) and my 64g SSD now has 25GB of free storage instead of being within 3GB of maxed out. Running great.

That's great to hear!

Offline Denniss

• Nickel Member
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2013, 06:27:57 PM »
The tip with disabling system restore is a bad, reducing the storage size would be better.
With enough RAM (8GiB or more) you could even disable the page file, at least reduce size even further than the 1GiB recommended in the tweaking guide.

Offline Skuzzy

• Support Member
  • Administrator
      • HiTech Creations Home Page
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2013, 06:48:17 PM »
The tip with disabling system restore is a bad, reducing the storage size would be better.
With enough RAM (8GiB or more) you could even disable the page file, at least reduce size even further than the 1GiB recommended in the tweaking guide.

If system restore was done right, I would agree with you, but it is only half right and can mess up a computer to the point of having to re-install the OS.

Never disable the page file in Windows.  Never.  Lock the size of it and get rid of the dynamic allocation, but do not remove it.
Roy "Skuzzy" Neese
support@hitechcreations.com

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2013, 09:54:36 AM »
Never disable the page file in Windows.  Never.  Lock the size of it and get rid of the dynamic allocation, but do not remove it.

At the risk of opening a can of worms, why?

I did it once on a machine I was trying to squeeze every last drop out of the hardware in it, had 4GB of RAM running a 32 bit OS, so I figured why not get rid of the pagefile?

I experienced no ill effects from it and ran it that way for probably 2 years.  I was playing either AH or the other sim heavily at the time.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just curious what the issue is that it causes?

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline Pand

• Silver Member
      • Pand's Fighter Wing
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2013, 09:59:51 AM »

I did it once on a machine I was trying to squeeze every last drop out of the hardware in it, had 4GB of RAM running a 32 bit OS, so I figured why not get rid of the pagefile?

I experienced no ill effects from it and ran it that way for probably 2 years.  I was playing either AH or the other sim heavily at the time.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just curious what the issue is that it causes?

Wiley.
I'm running a Q6600 with 4GB ram / 64 bit and I run with my pagefile disabled.  I agree that for most users tweaking with their system that don't know what they are doing is bad news.

Regards,

Pandemonium
"HORDE not HOARD. Unless someone has a dragon sitting on top of a bunch of La7s somewhere." -80hd

Offline 2bighorn

• Gold Member
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2013, 10:47:16 AM »

Wiley.

http://blogs.technet.com/b/markrussinovich/archive/2008/11/17/3155406.aspx