Author Topic: Audiophiles I need some guidance .  (Read 2604 times)

Offline Stellaris

• Nickel Member
Re: Audiophiles I need some guidance .
« Reply #60 on: December 07, 2012, 01:33:22 PM »
Wow, casually reading this thread, I just came up with the ultimate speaker concept.

To the patent office!

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: December 07, 2012, 02:33:45 PM »
Best to research whether it's possible to market and produce your idea before going to the patent office.

Checking whether your idea is stepping on someone else's patent is a good idea but actually going for a patent might end up being an unnecessary expense.

Offline Stellaris

• Nickel Member
« Reply #62 on: December 07, 2012, 03:44:20 PM »
LOL!  Yes, thanks icepac.  I actually have done R+D work and know the process well.  My perhaps-too-subtle humour is an inverse take on the long and winding road between concept and patent, and the longer still road between patent and product.

I can't tell you how long the road between product and me buying a refurbed Sukhoi-27 is, because I haven't gone down it yet, but hope continues to spring eternal.

Anyone want to VC a really innovative speaker design?

Offline morfiend

• AH Training Corps
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #63 on: December 07, 2012, 06:29:12 PM »
Just out of curiosity, you're not confusing Electro Voice brand with electrostatic speakers?

EV speakers:

(Image removed from quote.)

Electrostatic speakers:

:rofl :rofl :rofl

I understand why you might have asked that but it cracked me up when I read it! :aok

Yes I had a set of EV home units,their interface series the D models,you posted a pic of their road units,more for commercial use.

As I said I had a set of Magnaplaners for exactly 2 weeks then took them back and replaced them with the EVs.

Id like to hear those ESL but I dont think Id want something that took up so much floor space.

I suppose if you had the proper room it wouldnt be an issue.  Nice looking nonetheless!

:salute

Offline icepac

• Platinum Member
« Reply #64 on: December 07, 2012, 09:19:44 PM »
I built a guitar sustainer in 1981 and, by the time I did all the legwork for a patent, I was exhausted and was told by everybody in the industry (including fernandes and tom sholz) that it wasn't marketable.

Many years later, I am using a Fernandes product based on my idea rather than using my own because they had the corporate might to push something I lacked the horsepower or contacts to do.

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #65 on: December 08, 2012, 04:07:41 AM »
   :rofl :rofl :rofl

I understand why you might have asked that but it cracked me up when I read it! :aok

Yes I had a set of EV home units,their interface series the D models,you posted a pic of their road units,more for commercial use.

As I said I had a set of Magnaplaners for exactly 2 weeks then took them back and replaced them with the EVs.

Id like to hear those ESL but I dont think Id want something that took up so much floor space.

I suppose if you had the proper room it wouldnt be an issue.  Nice looking nonetheless!

:salute

Yes the ESLs require a LOT of space. You need to place them far away from the back wall too (as with any speaker, but more so). But the end result makes up for it. I still remember how magical it felt when I heard a proper ESL for the first time. I was instantly sold for life.

Now during these years that I haven't had ESLs I already forgot how they sound. Then I visited my uncle and he played some music through a set of ESLs I had built for him 15 years ago and the burn started again.. must... have...  :D
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Stellaris

• Nickel Member
« Reply #66 on: December 08, 2012, 09:42:30 PM »
@icepac. Yep.