Author Topic: Shrapel kills of aircraft with tank maingun  (Read 304 times)

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
Shrapel kills of aircraft with tank maingun
« on: December 15, 2012, 07:32:58 PM »
Tonight I was killed while flying a Stuka by shrapel from a main gun as I fly directly over the tank. The tank simply fired into the ground as I flew overhead, maybe 30 feet.

This is not historically accurate. In real life HE rounds. Require certainn rotations, etc to arm, thus firing a round into the ground next to the firing tank would not detonate. The shot is impossible and arcadish. Please. Fix.

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
Re: Shrapel kills of aircraft with tank maingun
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 03:31:07 PM »
Concussion? I have been doing this for years now by firing at the tops of trees as aircraft go by.

Even so I have to disagree with you on your wish to have it removed. When HE shells are fired upon the ground a tree or at a tank they are ignited by percussion (impact) which has nothing to do with the number of rotations. The way you presented your argument indicates you were out to bias the direction any change could effect.

If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline mthrockmor

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 09:07:33 PM »
There is an arming device found within the shells, which is used as a safety to limit friendly fire. They do not arm within the incredible short range used, certainly the 20 feet or I experienced. Standard minimum is around 250 yards, some even longer. That being the case it was impossible to do what you are doing within the game. You would shoot and the round would harmlessly bury itself into the ground without detonating. Also, the shrapnel caused by a standard HE round would kill troops within 10-15 meters though would most likely cause small arms damage to aircraft.

What has been going on for years is PURE arcade. Hitech needs to change this.

Boo
No poor dumb bastard wins a war by dying for his country, he wins by making the other poor, dumb, bastard die for his.
George "Blood n Guts" Patton

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2012, 07:19:01 PM »
You need to look at the fuses again. They do not work as you describe. There is a potential for delayed ignition (delayed fusing) but the delay only follows impact and not distance.
If you like the Sick Puppy Custom Sound Pack the please consider contributing for future updates by sending a months dues to Hitech Creations for account "Chalenge." Every little bit helps.

Offline Chalenge

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 07:20:52 PM »
BTW, there is also the possibility that tankers could ask for canister rounds. Canister does not require arming because it is like a shotgun blast though effective to 500 yds.