Author Topic: The Hobbit  (Read 763 times)

Offline Fish42

• AvA Staff Member
  • Silver Member
Re: The Hobbit
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2012, 01:56:54 PM »
I'm sure I'll watch it, but I agree splitting it into 3 feels like needless padding.  LOTR deserved 3 movies.  The Hobbit...  I could see splitting it in 2, not three.

Wiley.

The thing is, its not just the hobbit. They have added a large chunk from the events which are talked about in the other Tolkien works which were going on at the same time.

Offline vorticon

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2012, 07:14:12 PM »
its far better than LOTR. instead of spending 3 movies walking through middle earth, they'll be spending 3 movies running through middle earth.

take that, Randal.

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2012, 12:57:19 PM »
Heres my opinion so far:

Hobbit > Fellowship
Hobbit = Two Towers
Hobbit < Return of the King

However, I'm worried that the LOTR trillogy will be better than the Hobbit trillogy as a whole.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

"Once more unto the breach"

Offline MrRiplEy[H]

• Persona Non Grata
  • Plutonium Member
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2012, 01:00:47 PM »
Heres my opinion so far:

Hobbit > Fellowship
Hobbit = Two Towers
Hobbit < Return of the King

However, I'm worried that the LOTR trillogy will be better than the Hobbit trillogy as a whole.

The book > movies
Definiteness of purpose is the starting point of all achievement. –W. Clement Stone

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2012, 01:01:34 PM »
I don't know. I feel Tolkien went too far into detail with the descriptions in the LOTR books. I cannot get through them.
You started this thread and it was obviously about your want and desire in spite of your use of 'we' and Google.

Offline Wiley

• Plutonium Member
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2012, 04:28:42 PM »
I don't know. I feel Tolkien went too far into detail with the descriptions in the LOTR books. I cannot get through them.

The funny thing is, I read the hobbit in grade school.  It was assigned reading and although I love to read, for some reason if it was for school, my brain switched modes from 'enjoy reading this' to 'learn this for the test' mode.  I honestly can't remember a damn thing about that book other than the fact that the descriptions were huuuuuge.

Wiley.
If you think you are having a 1v1 in the Main Arena, your SA has failed you.

JG11

Offline doright

• Nickel Member
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2012, 05:47:58 PM »
I saw it in HFR (48 fps) 3D. My impression was that the movie was amazingly real looking, sometimes almost like you were watching a live stage performance - from on the stage. Often that was good, sometimes not, and occasionally stunning. It dragged its large hairy feet at getting going, and the staging/acting, not surprisingly, had a British drama feel to it. The scene near the end (book readers think rescue from wargs and goblins) was alone worth the price of admission. Not to mention Cate Blanchett in HFR 3D.
Armaments 3:9 "Fireth thee not in their forward quarters lest thee be beset by 200 imps and be naughty in their sight."

Offline Tank-Ace

• Persona Non Grata
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2012, 05:50:24 PM »
The funny thing is, I read the hobbit in grade school.  It was assigned reading and although I love to read, for some reason if it was for school, my brain switched modes from 'enjoy reading this' to 'learn this for the test' mode.  I honestly can't remember a damn thing about that book other than the fact that the descriptions were huuuuuge.

Wiley.

I'm talking the LOTR trillogy books, as in the Fellowship, Towers, and Return.

I enjoyed The Hobbit very much, though I did think the movie was better purely because of the fight sequences, and the pale orc.

Offline kilo2

• Gold Member
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2012, 06:08:22 PM »
The books are great, all of them.
X.O. Kommando Nowotny
FlyKommando.com

"Never abandon the possibility of attack."